PLanning to build this! How is it?

1 minute ago, severablepower said:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3cdscc (PCPartPicker link) I am new to building pcs but I have been a fan of Linus and other computer hardware channels on YouTube. If you could check it out and tell me what you think that would be great!

I think that's actually a really good build. If you want, stick with a beefy air cooler to save a few bucks like the Dark Rock series from be quiet! or a Noctua air cooler. You should also get more storage than just a 120GB SSD. Because judging from your R9 390, you want to game. With only 120GB, how are you going to store all of your games? GTA V would take up half of that instantly not including Windows. My recommendation is get a 240GB SSD for Windows and a few games and then a 1TB hard drive or more for mass storage. Otherwise I think that it's a very well rounded build.

1 minute ago, StrikerX1360 said:

I think that's actually a really good build. If you want, stick with a beefy air cooler to save a few bucks like the Dark Rock series from be quiet! or a Noctua air cooler. You should also get more storage than just a 120GB SSD. Because judging from your R9 390, you want to game. With only 120GB, how are you going to store all of your games? GTA V would take up half of that instantly not including Windows. My recommendation is get a 240GB SSD for Windows and a few games and then a 1TB hard drive or more for mass storage. Otherwise I think that it's a very well rounded build.

I have a 1TB drive from my past PC that SSD is just for boot :)

2 minutes ago, cpuwaiy said:

My only advice is to go intel or wait for zen

What Intel cpu do you recommend?

for the price of that cpu, you could go with an i5 that will give much better gaming performance. the nex series of psus is very meh. at that price, you could get a better quality unit. and getting a 390 right now isnt recommended. you should wait for the 480 or get a 1070

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6Rf32R
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6Rf32R/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($254.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($64.37 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($72.81 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($434.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($111.68 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1078.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-05 22:19 EDT-0400

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Just now, severablepower said:

I have a 1TB drive from my past PC that SSD is just for boot :)

Then that is a very good option. I have a 240GB SSD and a 2TB hard drive myself for the same reason I told you go get it. If you truly wanted to, you could wait until the Radeon RX 480 comes out. It's half the price of the R9 390 and is still very Virtual Reality capable.

4 minutes ago, StrikerX1360 said:

Then that is a very good option. I have a 240GB SSD and a 2TB hard drive myself for the same reason I told you go get it. If you truly wanted to, you could wait until the Radeon RX 480 comes out. It's half the price of the R9 390 and is still very Virtual Reality capable.

Yeah the RX480 seems amazing but almost too good to be true why would they make it so cheap if it is so capable? I hope what they say is true if so I will definitely buy the 480

Yeah the RX480 seems amazing but almost too good to be true why would they make it so cheap if it is so capable? I hope what they say is true if so I will definitely buy the 480

I think that AMD is trying to continue their path of producing capable hardware at a very cheap price. I'm not very knowledgeable on the AMD spectrum because I'm an Intel/NVIDIA fan but I know people who are and are very satisfied with their build. Like you said, if the RX 480 does turn out to e around $200 then definitely hop on that bandwagon. 

I think that AMD is trying to continue their path of producing capable hardware at a very cheap price. I'm not very knowledgeable on the AMD spectrum because I'm an Intel/NVIDIA fan but I know people who are and are very satisfied with their build. Like you said, if the RX 480 does turn out to e around $200 then definitely hop on that bandwagon. 

Thank you very much for the help!!!

Thank you very much for the help!!!

Anytime :D

10 minutes ago, DrM said:

for the price of that cpu, you could go with an i5 that will give much better gaming performance. the nex series of psus is very meh. at that price, you could get a better quality unit. and getting a 390 right now isnt recommended. you should wait for the 480 or get a 1070

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6Rf32R
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6Rf32R/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($254.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($64.37 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($72.81 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($434.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($111.68 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1078.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-05 22:19 EDT-0400

Thank you for the input. I really wish that AMD would produce a cpu that could directly compete with the i5 but I guess they just can't do it at this time.

Crappy PSU get an EVGA G2, GS, B2, P2, GQ, anything from Seasonic or XFX (Excluding the XT) instead,

The SSD is good, but I'd get a 250GB SSD instead.

I wouldn't recomend doing an AMD based gaming PC untill Zen comes out.

You can get tower coolers that are just as good as that AIO for alot less.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Crappy PSU get an EVGA G2, GS, B2, P2, GQ, anything from Seasonic or XFX (Excluding the XT) instead,

The SSD is good, but I'd get a 250GB SSD instead.

I wouldn't recomend doing an AMD based gaming PC untill Zen comes out.

You can get tower coolers that are just as good as that AIO for alot less.

I don't really need any more storage but I will try. I am thinking of usin the i5-6500 now

I don't really need any more storage but I will try. I am thinking of usin the i5-6500 now

I'd just get the larger SSD since it is better value for money and you have more when you need more.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I'd just get the larger SSD since it is better value for money and you have more when you need more.

That is true plus I could put more games on it for faster loading screens (Skyrim) lol

4 minutes ago, cpuwaiy said:

Oc then i5-6600k

No oc: i5 -6500

How much performance boost does overclocking give on the skylake series? I don't know anything past haswell

I agree with cpuwaiy. If you're planning on switching to Intel then an i5-6500 is a great choice if you're not planning to overclock. A friend of mine wants to get the i7-6700K despite him not wanting to overclock whatsoever, but he's adamant and won't change his mind.

I agree with cpuwaiy. If you're planning on switching to Intel then an i5-6500 is a great choice if you're not planning to overclock. A friend of mine wants to get the i7-6700K despite him not wanting to overclock whatsoever, but he's adamant and won't change his mind.

We all have that one friend, I am building this pc in tandem with my friend who has absolutely no idea what he is doing when it comes to pcs. The best thing we can do is show them videos of benchmarks and people talking about the hardware.

3 minutes ago, severablepower said:

We all have that one friend, I am building this pc in tandem with my friend who has absolutely no idea what he is doing when it comes to pcs. The best thing we can do is show them videos of benchmarks and people talking about the hardware.

That's what I've been doing for the past 2 months or so. It's really bad right now considering he's building in three weeks and we're arguing over a freaking case of all things.

This leaves you $330 for a new GPU.  The RX 480 ($200-$230 USD) drops in the market soon and is rumored to outperform the R9 390:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($389.98 @ DirectCanada)  <<Boosts to 4.0 GHz
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($74.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: AMD Radeon R3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.32 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada)  <<Take the 120mm in the front and move it to the top as an exhaust
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM  140mm Fan  ($10.81 @ Amazon Canada)  <<Front Intake
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM  140mm Fan  ($10.81 @ Amazon Canada)  <<Front Intake
Total: $821.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-05 22:47 EDT-0400

2 hours ago, severablepower said:

How much performance boost does overclocking give on the skylake series? I don't know anything past haswell

Since budget is an issue to you, sticking to stock clock speed isn't actually a bad idea. Since you're going with the 6500, a B150M or H110M Motherboard should be enough. You can get one as low as $50, spend it on a good GPU or wait for 480X by the end of the month.

EDIT: Sticking to stock heat sink isn't also bad. If you got a few $25 lying around, you can get a CM Hyper 212 EVO in the future.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

Storage: AMD Radeon R3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.32 @ DirectCanada)

AMD really needs to work on product naming, for a second I thought this was a GPU and got confused. LOL.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, FRN said:

AMD really needs to work on product naming, for a second I thought this was a GPU and got confused. LOL.

This was a premium targeted drive built by OCZ.  No one was buying it as the EVO is faster, but it is a good drive at this price.