RX 490

XdoniasRadeon

When is this card gonna be announced and do you have any expectations to how much this card might be?

1 minute ago, XdoniasRadeon said:

When is this card gonna be announced and do you have any expectations to how much this card might be?

I'm pretty sure AMD's keynote the other day said that Polaris was going to be $200-$300, so I would guess around $300.

2 minutes ago, XdoniasRadeon said:

It's coming with Vega I'm guessing. Vega's coming out in Q4 this year IIRC.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

4 minutes ago, XdoniasRadeon said:

There is no known date, but AMD did say that their Polaris lineup would cover the 100-300$ range. I think the RX 490 might be the 300$ part, being a "full-fat" Polaris GPU (since the RX 480 is supposedly a cut-down version), with performance around the GTX 1070 level (or slightly lower). It makes no sense for it to be a Vega GPU, as nothing could compete with Nvidia's lineup for another half-year.

My current build :

Hurricane Mk.I

• CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz ~ 1.25V
  • Cooling - Corsair H60 2013 Edition
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 (mATX)
  • RAM - 16 GB DDR3-1600 Avexir Core Series (Red LEDs)
  • GPU - XFX Radeon R9 Fury X @ 1100/500 MHz -24 mV
  • Case - CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3
  • SSD - 256 GB ADATA SX900
  • HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • PSU - Corsair RM750 (750W 80+ Gold)
  • Display - LG 34UM67-P Ultrawide (Freesync)
  • Keyboard - CM Storm Quickfire TK (Cherry MX Red) + CM Masterkeys Pro S RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013
  • Audio - Sennheiser HD598 SE with detachable mic
  • OS - Windows 10 Home Edition
  • VR - Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset
  • Laptop - ASUS K501LX with i7-5500U and GTX 950M

RX 490 should be Vega, which is arriving Q4 this year or Q1 next year. It's gonna be a while. But you can expect Vega to actually compete with the 1080 and the likes.

i hasn't been announced yesterday and it's not being announced today and probably won't be announced tomorrow,

sit tight, it's coming

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

My guess:

rx 490 is the full Polaris 10 GPU that costs 300 bucks and has near 1070 performance (but a little below it).

Release date: sometime in July.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Thought that was one of the various 480s coming out.  

?

Me very confused by your statement.

Why would AMD make two rx 480s that have different amounts of shaders?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Polaris 10 is just the base 480 and the x variant or whatever. They were only displaying those.  Anything of a higher number is in Vega, and they were only showing off Polaris 10.  There's also different VRAM amounts, iirc.  4 and 8 models.  

How do you know anything higher than the 480 is Vega?

Perhaps they have a 490 lurking in the darkness....

My guess is the rx 490 IS the "rx 480x" and is the full p10 GPU. The 480 is a cut down p10 GPU.

When Vega comes out, it will probably become the 500 series along with some Polaris rebrands.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

How do you know anything higher than the 480 is Vega?

Perhaps they have a 490 lurking in the darkness....

My guess is the rx 490 IS the "rx 480x" and is the full p10 GPU. The 480 is a cut down p10 GPU.

When Vega comes out, it will probably become the 500 series along with some Polaris rebrands.

http://videocardz.com/amd/radeon-rx-400/radeon-rx-490

1 minute ago, maulemall said:

This card has not yet been released, specifications are subject to change without notice

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

9 minutes ago, maulemall said:

That's not even a proper source...

I took screenshots of what Videocardz claimed the r9 480 would have in specs before the rx 480 launched. They claimed 1792 SPs, 6 gbps memory, and an 80 watt TDP. Look at how horribly wrong they were on that.

I also took a screenshot of what they thought would be the r9 490x. It was listed as p10 with 2560 SPs, 8 gbps gddr5 memory, and a 130 watt tdp. Now they say the rx 490 is Vega with a 200 watt tdp.

Those Videocardz specs are a joke, and I can prove it, as I just have. If you want to see the screenshots just ask me.

EDIT: Just so you all know, I get very angry whenever people use those Videocardz specifications claims on me because of how ridiculously obvious it is that they shouldn't even be there. So if I sound angry, that is why.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, maulemall said:

allegedly
This is all speculation, we don't know if 490 is Polaris chip or Vega one. Amd has said nothing about the naming scheme and how it well be.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because that's been said constantly through the various threads on here with sources on the matter.  Polaris 10 = mid cards which tops at the x80.  For example, the 280x and the 380x have been the highest mid cards AMD offers.  AMD keeps labeling Polaris 10 as that classification, so it is well hinted.  the x90 cards are where the higher cards are started.  Sure, it is still all speculation, but that's how AMD has been doing it.

Ok. I see your point then.

I guess we can wait to see once it is released and then we can yell at each other about how one of us was wrong and blah blah blah :D 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because that's been said constantly through the various threads on here with sources on the matter.  Polaris 10 = mid cards which tops at the x80.  For example, the 280x and the 380x have been the highest mid cards AMD offers.  AMD keeps labeling Polaris 10 as that classification, so it is well hinted.  the x90 cards are where the higher cards are started.  Sure, it is still all speculation, but that's how AMD has been doing it.

What we do know is that 480 is the cut down chip of Polaris. We might see RX 485 or something of that sort that has 40  CUs.

Polaris not really the mid rage, its high mid range. You can see in this slide below from AMD that Polaris 10 is meant to reach fury series performance, that's hardly mid range.
AMD-Radeon-2016-2017-Polaris-Vega-Navi-R

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I don't usually add the word "high" to the mid classification, but that's what I meant.  But, isn't usually there like the base x80, then a x85, then an x80x?  That's what happened with the 2xx series, but the 285 was redone as the 380, iirc.

AMD changed the naming scheme to RX and I doubt well see card called RX 480X.

You should watch this, its interesting analysis of the keynote which seems very logical not necessarily what well happen though. We shall find out when the NDA lifts at the end of the month.

16 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

AMD changed the naming scheme to RX and I doubt well see card called RX 480X.

You should watch this, its interesting analysis of the keynote which seems very logical not necessarily what well happen though. We shall find out when the NDA lifts at the end of the month.

I think it's important that we all stop making blanket statements about the naming scheme with the 400 series GPU's. We don't know. Period. It's all speculation. Maybe there are some folks that have done a smart analysis and come to some speculative conclusions - but in the end, it's speculation,

We have literally no idea (beyond guessing) what the Full-Fat Polaris 10 GPU is going to be. Will it be an RX 490? Sure. Maybe. Or maybe it'll be an RX 485. Or perhaps they'll double down the x's with an RX 480X.

We have no idea which one will turn out correct.

And by extension, we have no idea what the "RX 490" will be - whether it will be Polaris 10 or Vega or what. All speculation.

Which is entirely fine. If people want to say stuff like "I think Polaris 10 full chip will be RX 490, based on this", that's fine. But can we all please stop making post implying that it's not all still speculation?

Edit: I also simply think they changed the prefix to "RX" to avoid the confusion of "R5" vs "R7" vs "R9", etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I think it's important that we all stop making blanket statements about the naming scheme with the 400 series GPU's. We don't know. Period. It's all speculation. Maybe there are some folks that have done a smart analysis and come to some speculative conclusions - but in the end, it's speculation,

We have literally no idea (beyond guessing) what the Full-Fat Polaris 10 GPU is going to be. Will it be an RX 490? Sure. Maybe. Or maybe it'll be an RX 485. Or perhaps they'll double down the x's with an RX 480X.

We have no idea which one will turn out correct.

And by extension, we have no idea what the "RX 490" will be - whether it will be Polaris 10 or Vega or what. All speculation.

Which is entirely fine. If people want to say stuff like "I think Polaris 10 full chip will be RX 490, based on this", that's fine. But can we all please stop making post implying that it's not all still speculation?

I agree that's why I said "seems very logical not necessarily what well happen though". Speculation is good as long as its grounded and without bias, its good why to feel good about your self when the official names for the cards are out and how much can you read between the lines. But like I said as long as it grounded and without bias.

1 minute ago, 3DOSH said:

I agree that's why I said "seems very logical not necessarily what well happen though". Speculation is good as long as its grounded and without bias, its good why to feel good about your self when the official names for the cards are out and how much can you read between the lines. But like I said as long as it grounded and without bias.

Agreed - btw I wasn't singling you out or anything :)

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Which is exactly why I said speculation and semi-facts, not legit 100% facts. xD To be fair to AMD, while what I said is based on their tradition, they have broken their traditions with Zen.  So, it is possible for them to do it in the GPU department too.

I personally suspect that The full Polaris 10 will be a "485" or "480x", and that the 490 will be Vega, for the following reasons:

We expect Vega, based on numerous leaks and rumours, to be at least two Chips - following a similar convention as Polaris:

Vega 10 and Vega 11

Given that AMD and NVIDIA pretty much always take a full size chip and cut it down for a slower variant to save on R&D costs, and to reuse parts that simply don't make the cut due to silicon defects, we can extrapolate that Vega will have at least 4 (four) actual GPU models.

If the Full Fat Polaris 10 was in fact the RX 490, then where would the 4 higher Vega cards go? AMD would have to invent new product segments (Not the first time they'd do it: See Fury series), but it still seems rather odd for them to do that.

I suspect that we'll see something pretty similar in naming to last gen:

Vega Big (Let's say Vega 10 for simplicity):

"Fury2 X" - Full chip (Though I suspect they will completely rename the Fury series, personally, or add a suffix to it)

"Fury2" - Cut down chip

Vega Small (Let's call it Vega 11):

RX 495 (Or RX 490X) - Full chip

RX 490 - Cut down chip

This naming system works, based on the rumours we've heard. Of course, it all follows the assumption that there are two different Vega cores, big and smaller - which does make sense given how SMALL (from a manufacturing standpoint) the Chip Die is on Polaris 10.

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

EDIT: Just so you all know, I get very angry whenever people use those Videocardz specifications claims on me because of how ridiculously obvious it is that they shouldn't even be there. So if I sound angry, that is why.

I think Videocardz has somewhat proven to be on the ball recently, regarding their pre-presentation RX 480 leaks, including saying that there was an AotS benchmark running 2xRX 480 faster than a GTX 1080.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think Videocardz has somewhat proven to be on the ball recently, regarding their pre-presentation RX 480 leaks, including saying that there was an AotS benchmark running 2xRX 480 faster than a GTX 1080.

I think as long as we acknowledge the source for what it is: Rumours about leaked information, then there's no problem with Videocardz as a source.

When dealing with leaks, they mostly all use the same "internal" sources anyway (At least, when one of them isn't completely making up some bullshit for clicks and views).

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

I respect their news and leaks, as quite often they are very accurate, but I hate those rumored specification sheets they have for every GPU in the next gen that hasn't been released yet. They are usually extremely inaccurate, and I don't believe I have ever seen a correct prediction on shaders and tdp and whatnot. I have evidence that they screwed up on the r9 480 and that they totally changed their predictions on the r9 490x/rx 490, and I happen to have a screenshot of the r9 470x or 470 (can't remember which one) so that I can also show how wrong they were on that one. Again, they do have some good leaks and whatnot, but those specification sheets are total bullcrap and shouldn't be trusted at all.

/rant

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I dunno ATI has had some interesting names back in the day.  Remember this ATI card?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/438  ATI is now AMD's GPU department.

So there will be no 490X? I think it would make more sense to be the fury/fury x successor.