Anyone else find gaming on a 50" TV hard to do?

EvilWiffles

I've got a 3D 1080p HDTV I got hooked up to my gaming rig and noticed how hard it is to see players off in a distance in games like Battlefield or MGS5.

Having to move very close to the TV to even see where I'm being shot at is rough. Even a casual game like MGS, I still can't seem to enjoy it on a big screen at all since my vision is so impaired in comparison of having a monitor with more dense pixels to see what the hell is happening.

Is there a solution or do people just deal with it? Can't seem to understand why console players enjoy bigger screens.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

1 minute ago, Tibbles said:

The solution is to game on a monitor, not on a TV.

That would appear to be the easiest solution. Yet doesn't resolve my actual question of how people can be so use to it when gaming on console.

I game on a monitor but I also would like to not be at my desk when doing so.

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

1 minute ago, Tibbles said:

I dunno I haven't played on a console for many years. So I don't remember what it's like xD 

Neither have I. At least, not since the PS2 days and that was mostly played on a small CRT.

I think on console they've never used a monitor so they find the situation you are describing normal - you never realize something's wrong until you experience something better.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, EvilWiffles said:

That would appear to be the easiest solution. Yet doesn't resolve my actual question of how people can be so use to it when gaming on console.

I game on a monitor but I also would like to not be at my desk when doing so.

Controllers are less accurate anyway so they dont really notice it.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think on console they've never used a monitor so they find the situation you are describing normal - you never realize something's wrong until you experience something better.

I usually play 1360x768 but this HDTV looks really nice but at a good distance. Kind of a shame, really. Guess you can't have everything for couch gaming.

1 minute ago, EvilWiffles said:

I usually play 1360x768 but this HDTV looks really nice but at a good distance. Kind of a shame, really. Guess you can't have everything for couch gaming.

Waaiiiiitttt, you have a 970 to game at 720p? Whatttt? Whyy?? xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

768p the worst res ever made

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Because it's a good resolution. No huge performance hit and it'll last me quite a long time.

Should be able to upgrade if I get a GTX 1070.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I game on a 46" and its not a problem, as long as you got the right pixel density.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

8 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Nice bug we have ere...(or you just double posted)

Spoiler

GFlYYK4.png

9 minutes ago, EvilWiffles said:

Because it's a good resolution. No huge performance hit and it'll last me quite a long time.

Should be able to upgrade if I get a GTX 1070.

Fair enough :/ but still, the 970 is easily capable to drive games at 1080p :P 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nice bug we have ere...(or you just double posted)

Reveal hidden contents

GFlYYK4.png

Fair enough :/ but still, the 970 is easily capable to drive games at 1080p :P 

I get lots of headroom in lots of newer titles because of my resolution. Just playing 1080p on the HDTV, I can already see it getting capped because of the res.

Playing 1360 just allows me to truly max games with a good refresh rate. I wouldn't like running low resolution on a native 1080p display either, it'd look terrible.

1 minute ago, EvilWiffles said:

I get lots of headroom in lots of newer titles because of my resolution. Just playing 1080p on the HDTV, I can already see it getting capped because of the res.

Playing 1360 just allows me to truly max games with a good refresh rate. I wouldn't like running low resolution on a native 1080p display either, it'd look terrible.

I guess it's your choice :) I can't tell you what to do.

as someone who has a few consoles, i tend to get really close to the screen whenever i play games. and i have a 60-inch flatscreen... due to the fact that i play games more often in front of my monitor. but i rather not have all my consoles near my PC, in fear of heating the room up even more. 

so whenever i want to play on my ps4, i have to pull up a chair. but sometimes i stand up to get close to the tv. sort of reminiscent when i was younger. 

My computer is connected to my 50" tv, too.  I haven't noticed an issue like you describe.  I sit fairly close on my comfy chair.  My eyes are maybe 6-7 feet from the screen.