Failed delidding attempt on a 4460

My stupid test.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What is more stupid?

• Delidding a CPU with no practice
    • Trying to repair the damage from choice #1

I decided to try and delid the 4460 that i had laying around today (didnt use it very often), and, well, failed.

I got the IHS off fairly easily, but went a bit too rough with my razor as i were getting it off.

And ill just say it here now while im writing this that you shouldnt try to delid ANYTHING you can/will/are actively using without practice.

Just dont.

And, heres my results.

die-south.jpg

10x magnification of south-west corner. Scraped all the way to the east corner. The north, west and east sides are unharmed (apart from the southern tipps)

possible-chokes.jpg

4x magnification on what i belive are...chokes? Whatever they are, 2 of them are gone now.

I dont know what is more dumb: the fact that i tried delidding without practice on old hardware, or that i tried to "repair" the cpu by soldering two small wires to the contact points.

Ill have a poll for this.

Tl;dr This is why you practice on old hardware first, kids.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

i just made a NOOB mistake and dropped my cpu into a lga 1366 socket and bent some pins. luckly i was able to bend them back to that the board would post now. im unsure if it is fully stable though. i guess only time will tell now...

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, DEcobra11 said:

So you decided to delid [a locked] haswell refresh...? why?

Because im stupid and the "Why? Its: Why not?" logic in my thinking.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Those are surface mount capacitors.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Don't know why you would bother trying to de-lid that particular CPU, but it looks to me like you just rushed the work.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

hey its better than me 

i had a fan and tried to touch the wires to the fan connector of a 1366 board and i shorted it out and 

my board started to catch fire but i put it out

now i have a i7 975x  with a toast mb

Cpu: Intel i7-5820k at 4.6 Ghz // Motherboard: Asus X99 Pro // Ram: 32gb of Crucial Balistix at 2400 Mhz // Gpu: GTX 1080 Founders Edtion // SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb, Samsung 950 pro 256 gb, // Cooler: Cooler Master ml240r // Case: NZXT h500i 

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

Don't know why you would bother trying to de-lid that particular CPU, but it looks to me like you just rushed the work.

And that i did, cant argue with that without lying.

I voted 2 because soldering them definitely ensured something would break. Capacitors block DC and allow AC to pass, so replacing capacitors with solder means you're making DC short circuits.

Option 1 is a perfectly viable choice too though.

1 minute ago, TheHiddenCreeper said:

hey its better than me 

i had a fan and tried to touch the wires to the fan connector of a 1366 board and i shorted it out and 

my board started to catch fire but i put it out

now i have a i7 975x  with a toast mb

I think the mobo is the cheap part.

Luckily, a new 4460 wont put me back alot.

Just now, Sakkura said:

I voted 2 because soldering them definitely ensured something would break. Capacitors block DC and allow AC to pass, so replacing capacitors with solder means you're making DC short circuits.

Option 1 is a perfectly viable choice too though.

Hence why i made a poll of it, i were highly unsure.

Just now, TeeTwo said:

im not sure if you were talking about x58 boards as they range from 150 to 300 dollars at the most 

Cpu: Intel i7-5820k at 4.6 Ghz // Motherboard: Asus X99 Pro // Ram: 32gb of Crucial Balistix at 2400 Mhz // Gpu: GTX 1080 Founders Edtion // SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb, Samsung 950 pro 256 gb, // Cooler: Cooler Master ml240r // Case: NZXT h500i 

2 minutes ago, TeeTwo said:

you live and learn mate, on an unrelated topic, i see you have a kart in your profile picture. Do you race, if so what kart, because i do too. I race a prokart with either gx160 or 200's depends where i am racing?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I find that most people on this forum seems to follow what others are doing without thinking it through.

Dual Xeon gaming build

Delidding CPU

Socket 775 gaming rig on the cheap

771 to 775 mod

If one says best place to setup a gaming rig is on the ledge of a suspension bridge, 99.9999% of forum members here will most likely do it. And we'll have a ton of "best bridge to setup gaming rig" topics.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, TheHiddenCreeper said:

im not sure if you were talking about x58 boards as they range from 150 to 300 dollars at the most 

Ok that could be expensive as hell today.

3 minutes ago, jameshumphries47 said:

you live and learn mate, on an unrelated topic, i see you have a kart in your profile picture. Do you race, if so what kart, because i do too. I race a prokart with either gx160 or 200's depends where i am racing?

That is an old picture (5 years) of me, i were driving the so called "Mini/R95" class in Sweden.

I dont race anymore since the following year i were too tall to fit into even the longest of chassis.

1 minute ago, TeeTwo said:

Ok that could be expensive as hell today.

That is an old picture (5 years) of me, i were driving the so called "Mini/R95" class in Sweden.

oh nice, do you still race?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Just now, jameshumphries47 said:

oh nice, do you still race?

Nope, im too tall and heavy to be competitive and it got too expensive.

Hunting, gaming and PC's is my go-to hobby now.