simple analysis of World of Tanks API switch from DX9 to DX11

WoT_logo.png

about a week ago, popular multiplayer team based tank shooter, WoT, got an engine upgrade that switched from a DX9 render path to DX11

I took a quick look of the performance changes gained (or lost) from this engine upgrade

system specs:

• Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz
  • 8GB DDR2
  • GTX970 G1 from GigaByte
  • W7 x64
  • GeForce 365.19 drivers

game settings: 

• resolution - 1080p
  • maximum detail preset
  • 3D render resolution - 100%
  • dynamic settings - off
  • AA - off

tests were conducted in the battle training tutorial - yes, I know that might not representative of actual live gameplay, but having a similar run after game patch is not possible

CPU usage with DX9:

Wa7o8Yu.png

CPU usage with DX11:

NdseYrg.png

while there is a lower usage of core 0 and 1 in DX11, the overall CPU usage across all cores is negligible:

CllzHvx.png

let's move the the graphics performance starting with GPU% utilization:

UKFflmB.png

on average, WoT's DX11 API implementation shows aprox 20% increase in GPU usage over DX9

and the most important part, framerate:

Qi0SkJe.png

DX11 render gains roughly 34 FPS average over DX9 and ~40FPS gain in minimum FPS:

7foy8U4.png

the solid gains in minimum FPS that DX11 render offers are quite substantial and welcomed; it makes for a much smoother play experience

This is a really good analysis. But its not as simple as it could be, if it was simple it would be DX11 is overall and in most cases welcomed and makes the player experience better. You covered alot more on it. So good job to you, have a cookie! :) 

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

Didn't even realise it was that time already.

But this is good to see.

I really can't wait for the day when DX9 isn't the first choice for small devs.

-アパゾ

4 minutes ago, APasz said:

Didn't even realise it was that time already.

But this is good to see.

I really can't wait for the day when DX9 isn't the first choice for small devs.

the game went in CBT around 2010, around that time DX10 was introduced

WoT's switch from DX9 to DX11 was rather late - but, better late than never

---

I hope they upgrade WoWs engine soon - the performance on that game, and mind you it's the same BigWorld engine, is abysmal

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the game went in CBT around 2010, around that time DX10 was introduced

WoT's switch from DX9 to DX11 was rather late - but, better late than never

---

I hope they upgrade WoWs engine soon - the performance on that game, and mind you it's the same BigWorld engine, is abysmal

Wow is dead, all Blizzard care about for that game is milking it empty. Putting in more work than for the purpose for milking it empty is a waste of time for them. I dunno, I like blizzard and what they do, but with wow they need a serious kick up the arse.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

22 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

Wow is dead, all Blizzard care about for that game is milking it empty. Putting in more work than for the purpose for milking it empty is a waste of time for them. I dunno, I like blizzard and what they do, but with wow they need a serious kick up the arse.

WoWs as in World of Warships .. not WoW xD

Ohh... But still... :D

2 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

WoW is pretty popular for a dead game with a little over 5mil subs. A game isn't dead until there aren't enough players to play the game but hey, to each his own.

-アパゾ