DRAM light is lit and no input on monitor

**I feel I should start off by saying this is my first build, so no solution is too simple haha. Also I will try to include everything I think you need but if I miss something just let me know any help is greatly appreciated**

The issue: Turn it on and everything seems to get power, fans run up, LED’s on the motherboard, graphics card and CPU cooler light up, monitor and keyboard both get power. However, the monitor says “VGA NO INPUT” and the DRAM light on my motherboard is on. Press the MEMOK button and seems to cycle through some different settings but at the end there is no change.

What I’ve tried: 1st I cycled through the different input selections on the monitor, 2nd I tried and HDMI cable and tried plugging it into different spots, 3rd removed my graphics card, 4th moved RAM from DIMM’s A2/B2 to A1/B1, 5th I tried each of the RAM by itself, 6th removed SSD and HDD, I also cycled power, reseated RAM, disconnected and reconnected everything and pressed MEMOK button multiple times. I’ve check connections everything seems to be correct, but again I am new.

The build:  

• Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM liquid CPU cooler
  • ASUS Sabertooth Z170S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400 16GB(2x8GB) 1.2V RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5 SSD
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5 7200RPM HDD
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W (ATX12V/EPS12V)

Have you tried only one stick of RAM on every slot?

After that power off the machine. Use one stick of RAM and hold the MemOK! button, it should power on. It will cycle for 3 stages. Slow blink, medium and fast.

Leave it to cycle for 5-15 minutes, Longer if you wish as it will do no harm. Reset the Cmos if you notice no change if you want to start from scratch. If it doesn't post then follow this guide and see if you get anywhere,

I would guess you have no other DDR4 memory?

If the computer posts after MemOK then it means it's memory compatibility and you will be extremely lucky to post using both sticks. If you do then I wouldn't advice it as you will be on extremely lax timings depending how many cycles it done and there will be next to no chance in getting the rated timings and speed from the RAM.

It's not a race to the bottom.

2 hours ago, 0x1e said:

Have you tried only one stick of RAM on every slot?

After that power off the machine. Use one stick of RAM and hold the MemOK! button, it should power on. It will cycle for 3 stages. Slow blink, medium and fast.

Leave it to cycle for 5-15 minutes, Longer if you wish as it will do no harm. Reset the Cmos if you notice no change if you want to start from scratch. If it doesn't post then follow this guide and see if you get anywhere,

I would guess you have no other DDR4 memory?

If the computer posts after MemOK then it means it's memory compatibility and you will be extremely lucky to post using both sticks. If you do then I wouldn't advice it as you will be on extremely lax timings depending how many cycles it done and there will be next to no chance in getting the rated timings and speed from the RAM.

I have previously tried single RAM in each slot it didn't chang anything. I did just press MEMOK and leave it for 15 mins or so and when I came back it was still the same DRAM light & No input. I have tried with other DDR4 memory with no joy. Still the same issues. However neither of these DDR4's are listed on the mobo QVL. Do you know if that matters? As far as timing and everything it seems like it should be compatible still. havent tried resetting CMO's yet, trying to figure out how I do that. 

This exact thing happened to me, the issue, I didn't have both power cables plugged in.

I know this may sound like a stupid thing to check, but make sure that you graphics card has

all power cables running to it, not just one. When I did this, I had one plugged in and everything 

booted, except to POST, so just make sure you have all the power slots "filled"

yeah everything is plugged in as far as I know, I have two cables running to the graphics card... ill double check the manual just in case :)

so I've tried everything mentioned above.. any other suggestions?

23 hours ago, thelastabhorsen said:

I have previously tried single RAM in each slot it didn't chang anything. I did just press MEMOK and leave it for 15 mins or so and when I came back it was still the same DRAM light & No input. I have tried with other DDR4 memory with no joy. Still the same issues. However neither of these DDR4's are listed on the mobo QVL. Do you know if that matters? As far as timing and everything it seems like it should be compatible still. havent tried resetting CMO's yet, trying to figure out how I do that. 

How many types of RAM did you use?

the RAM not being on the QVL list can be a problem, but it's not set in stone. QVL "Qualified vendors list" is a list of RAM that the manufacture (Asus in this case) have tested themselves. Other RAM can work, but it's a risk. For instance you'll have Corsair and Hyper X, Corsair will be on the QVL but Hyper X are using the same dimms but just re-branded so both will work.

To clear the Cmos, unplug the machine from the wall and remove the small flat battery from the motherboard. Hold the power button for 5 seconds, repeat 3 times. Put the battery back in and plug the machine back in. Power on the machine and see what happens.

The DRAM light can be 3 things which is not helpful. CPU as it holds the memory controller, motherboard or the RAM.

As you've tested other kits I would say it's not the RAM.

Take the computer apart and rebuild it outside of the case on cardboard. Make sure every cable is plugged in. Have only the CPU, motherboard, one stick of RAM and nothing else. Not even a GPU, use the onboard and see what happens.

(P.S, The Abhorsen books were great)

ok so I took everything apart, removed the CPU, motherboard, disconnected the PSU and inspected everything. all of the pins on the CPU look good, and nothing appears to be broken or missing on the mobo. I started putting it back together by just installing 1 ram, cpu and connecting it to the power supply and monitor with some success! the DRAM light was off and I finally got the boot up screen on my monitor. In my excitement I put it all back together and now it keeps cycling power on/off every 15 seconds or so. unfortunately at that point I had to go to bed for work the next day so I haven't had time to investigate much. just wanted to let you guys know I was still working on it and I appreciate all your help! I'll look at it more tonight and post on here what I figure out. if you have any ideas please let me know.. I'm also going to look around for troubleshooting steps about cycling power.

also! that's awesome that you know the abhorsen books!! I love them, clearly one of my favorite series haha :D

On 6/9/2016 at 0:16 AM, thelastabhorsen said:

ok so I took everything apart, removed the CPU, motherboard, disconnected the PSU and inspected everything. all of the pins on the CPU look good, and nothing appears to be broken or missing on the mobo. I started putting it back together by just installing 1 ram, cpu and connecting it to the power supply and monitor with some success! the DRAM light was off and I finally got the boot up screen on my monitor. In my excitement I put it all back together and now it keeps cycling power on/off every 15 seconds or so.

also! that's awesome that you know the abhorsen books!! I love them, clearly one of my favorite series haha :D

Put it back to it's last known good config (1 ram, mobo and cpu) and add one by one.

Burn a copy of Memtest86 onto a USB device and plug it into the machine if it can boot with one stick of ram. Run the test for a few hours and if it passes then plug the other stick in and run the test again. If it passes then boot into bios and use the correct RAM settings (2400Mhz? with the correcting timings and 1.2V?) Run the memtest again. You won't need it to run as long this time as you're just testing for stability rather than seeing if the ram works. If the RAM can't boot at 2400Mhz then clear cmos if it doesn't itself (most Asus boards will default RAM speeds on a failed boot) and try the next speed down which I think is 2133Mhz. Again with its correct timings and volts. Test again.

Once you've confirmed the RAM is working properly and you can boot into the bios then go onto the next step.

One by one plug the USB devices in and reboot, fans you can do 2-3 at a time,  add in cards, Go through your list but leave the GPU until last.

Once you hit a boot loop unplug the last thing you plugged in and move on. For instance you plugged in your dedicated sound card and got a boot loop, unplug it and move onto your dedicated networking card but use the same port. Boot loops again plug the SPU into another port, boot loops plug in the NIC into the same port if it boots then leave the SPU and "broken" port to one side and continue until you boot loop again.

Once you've finished building the computer then go back to what you think was causing the boot loops. Try them again in different configs. The SPU didn't work in PCI x1 slot 1, but what about all the other slots? Will it work in another computer? If not then look to RMA it.

If it's the GPU giving problems then you have a few options.

Try another port, other PCI-e cables, another computer, another PSU, another GPU in your build. Lastly a different power socket from the wall but by that time you're clutching at straws.

This all sounds long but it shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours at most. Once you're satisfied that it boots and you've figured out the problem (GPU) then rebuild the system back into the case, making sure it's in the same configuration. RMA or replace what was giving your problems.

(I've read the books a few times, I remember reading them many years ago and then saw them on Amazon on sale. So bought the collection around 2 years ago. Fantastic books)