PC for video rendering and gaming

So I have a buddy who really loves to game and he also likes making youtube videos and I want to help him out.I was thinking about getting him a Xeon e5 2670 and an Asus x79 WS motherboard paired with an r9 390 so he can have a good gaming experience he is very new to computers although I have taught and showed him the basics many times. I would like to know what you guys think about my choices for him. 

a r 9 390? he should get something from the newer gen that is coming out soon cause the old cards are crap compared to the 1070/80 or the rx 480 which is cheaper then the r9 390 exept if you can get something used and really cheap

2 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

a r 9 390? he should get something from the newer gen that is coming out soon cause the old cards are crap compared to the 1070/80 or the rx 480 which is cheaper then the r9 390 exept if you can get something used and really cheap

Yeah I already have an r9 390 that I bought for 230$ last week and it has no scratches, the owner thought it wasnt working because he was using the hdmi port on his mobo instead of the gpu and so he thought it was broken and just sold it to me thinking I could fix it when nothing was wrong with it.

1 minute ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Yeah I already have an r9 390 that I bought for 230$ last week and it has no scratches, the owner thought it wasnt working because he was using the hdmi port on his mobo instead of the gpu and so he thought it was broken and just sold it to me thinking I could fix it when nothing was wrong with it.

too bad the rx 480 will be sub 200$, but hey the r9 390 wasn't a bad deal either :P

2 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

yeah that is a 2670 which is what I am getting

benchmarks included in the video 

3 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

benchmarks included in the video 

yeah it seems to hold up fairly well with the 5960x in non gaming benchmarks and in gaming it seems to do more of an fx9590 type thing when it only does good in some games and others it gets shit on

2 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

yeah it seems to hold up fairly well with the 5960x in non gaming benchmarks and in gaming it seems to do more of an fx9590 type thing when it only does good in some games and others it gets shit on

If that is the budget though I would say go for it, would make a very good dedicated stream encoding/video rendering pc in the future too if he ever makes a new build.  

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

If that is the budget though I would say go for it, would make a very good dedicated stream encoding/video rendering pc in the future too if he ever makes a new build.  

I'm sure he won't he is 17 almost 18 and doesn't really want to get a job he just wants to make youtube videos and so far it isn't going well for him he needs to play with others so they can help him gain some audience and some actual gameplay footage. Either way I am just glad that I can help him out.

Yeah an e5 2670 and 390 for gaming and as a workstation, the gaming performance may be a little bit slower due to the lower clockspeed, but it should be fine I actually have an e5 2670 paired with a 390.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Note: One of the mistakes often made is to compare something like a E5 2670 against a stock clocked newer CPU.

That video that was linked shows the performance against a i5-6600K for example, but it doesn't say what speed it was running at.  I'm guessing stock speed, unless someone can see otherwise.

I bring this up because a i5-6600K should easily run at 4.6GHz on a basic liquid cooler.

Yes, it still costs more, but I suspect for most people, that will close the performance gap by a lot, and you're now comparing a 5 year old CPU with unknown usage history and a 5 year old motherboard with who-knows-what going on, to brand new stuff.

Yes, if money is tight, by all means, consider the used parts, but keep in mind they are priced there for a reason.

With a motherboard, the Xeon is really going to be $250-$300 or so for a decent setup.

With a motherboard, the i5-6600k is going to be about $400...  Faster in gaming and some situations, slower in others (even overclocked).

I just want people to make an informed choice about the real differences and not just focus on "OMG a 8 core CPU for $75!" when you have to take more than that into account.

25 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

Yes, it still costs more, but I suspect for most people, that will close the performance gap by a lot, and you're now comparing a 5 year old CPU with unknown usage history and a 5 year old motherboard with who-knows-what going on, to brand new stuff.

Yes, if money is tight, by all means, consider the used parts, but keep in mind they are priced there for a reason.

With a motherboard, the Xeon is really going to be $250-$300 or so for a decent setup.

With a motherboard, the i5-6600k is going to be about $400...  Faster in gaming and some situations, slower in others (even overclocked).

The only reason why the ceons are as low as like $50 is due to supply and demand they were very popular for seever use and then they upgraded to 2011-3 xeons, and thousands of these chips flooded the market which caused the prices on them to plummet, they aren't bad as in that they are going to break under load.

And for workstation tasks overclocking shouldn't be considered because stability issues causing crashes aren't going to help productivity. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

11 hours ago, SLAYR said:

The only reason why the ceons are as low as like $50 is due to supply and demand they were very popular for seever use and then they upgraded to 2011-3 xeons, and thousands of these chips flooded the market which caused the prices on them to plummet, they aren't bad as in that they are going to break under load.

And for workstation tasks overclocking shouldn't be considered because stability issues causing crashes aren't going to help productivity. 

Of course all good points...

Yes, supply and demand, I imagine a LOT of these things were sold over the past 5 years and they have hit the market in droves.  For all the talk of the "deal", how many people out there are really putting together a machine with these?

As for overclocking a workstation, of course not, but the people buying these now aren't building workstations. :)  The linked video showed what a typical enthusiast might do, a bit of Photoshop, a bit of gaming, some video rendering, etc.

As for overclocking, I'll submit that it isn't much of an issue for your average person who can put together a personal Xeon system.

Get a ASUS Z170-A motherboard, drop a i5-6600k or i7-6700k onto it with a liquid cooler, move the TPU switch to the II position, and boom, instant overclock in the 4.6GHz range.

They couldn't make it any easier if they tried. :)

A Skylake running at 4.6GHz will give the Sandy Bridge Xeon running at 2.6GHz a run for its money.