Can I use my OEM Product Key to activate Windows 10?

djdelarosa25
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
9 minutes ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

Unfortunately, no.

You will have to clean install Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows product keys don't go across different operating systems, and if they did, nobody would ever buy Windows, ever again.

Sorry man, but yeah, install Windows 8.1 using your product key on the laptop then upgrade to Windows 10. You won't have to activate Windows 10, because Windows 8.1 was already activated.

lol thats wrong

since november you can activate windows 10 with any 7/8/8.1 key

and yes I know OEM works 100%, I did it myself, TWICE

My laptop came with Windows 8.1 Single Language. I want to clean install Windows 10, so I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a DVD (Windows 10 Home Single Language, since I've read you can only use the same license key to upgrade to the same edition of Windows). Now I'm wondering, will the OEM key actually work and activate the OS when I proceed to do a clean install of W10?

2 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

My laptop came with Windows 8.1 Single Language. I want to clean install Windows 10, so I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a DVD (Windows 10 Home Single Language, since I've read you can only use the same license key to upgrade to the same edition of Windows). Now I'm wondering, will the OEM key actually work and activate the OS when I proceed to do a clean install of W10?

Unfortunately, no.

Windows product keys don't go across different operating systems, and if they did, nobody would ever buy Windows, ever again.

Sorry man, but yeah, install Windows 8.1 using your product key on the laptop then upgrade to Windows 10. You won't have to activate Windows 10, because Windows 8.1 was already activated.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

1 minute ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

Unfortunately, no.

After I upgrade to Windows 10 Home SL, can I use the disk to perform a clean install? Would Windows still be activated?

IIRC, Microsoft changed the Windows 10 activator so it accepts Win7 and Win10 product keys.  So you don't even have to go through the step of 'upgrading' first. 

But this might not last forever. 

1 minute ago, djdelarosa25 said:

After I upgrade to Windows 10 Home SL, can I use the disk to perform a clean install? Would Windows still be activated?

If you google for some code as to how to get your Windows product key, yes you can. Once you get the product key, you can reinstall Windows 10 using that product key.

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

Use the guide on that website.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

4 minutes ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

Unfortunately, no.

This used to be the case, but Microsoft changed it a couple of months after they released Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

9 minutes ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

Unfortunately, no.

lol thats wrong

since november you can activate windows 10 with any 7/8/8.1 key

and yes I know OEM works 100%, I did it myself, TWICE

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Strange....  I had an old pc that was win7 32 oem hp I installed win7 64bit and used an activator.  Got that key and used it for my rig with win7 64.  Later I upgraded to win 10 64 no issues. 

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro