Step aside ATmega 238P, there's a new chip in town.

Jack.EXE

pdip28.jpg

Say hello to the LPC1114FN28. It doesn't look like much, but under the hood, this little chip is quite a beast. For one, it's a 32 bit chip. It's also in a DIP package, meaning it's as usable as the venerable ATmega 238P for hand soldered electronics.

Why should I care?

Well, it opens the door for a whole lot more complicated projects than arduino allows for, which means more sophisticated robots.

plus, it's $5, for a self contained ARM chip.

What are your thoughts?

the thing with arduino is that it is really accessible. So pretty cool but it won't bother arduinos.

1 minute ago, DarkRuskov said:

the thing with arduino is that it is really accessible. So pretty cool but it won't bother arduinos.

You are right with that.

Personally, I'm going to be learning how to use this guy, I have a few projects.

Not that exciting tbh.

Comparable, and even much more advanced, devices already exist for a long time, AVR32, PIC32 and a whole host of DSP-optimized devices which will kick this chip's ass when DSP is involved (and imo, most advanced embedded projects that require heavy processing boil down to DSP). Maybe these aren't available in DIP but learning to design your own PCB's and buying a hot air station aren't big hurdles anymore imo. And you get the benefit of having the IO pins you need for stuff such as external RAM (what good is a chip that can process many megabytes of data per second with nowhere to put it ? )