Need help doing clean install of Win 10

djdelarosa25
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

the moment win10 has been on the computer (as in, when you did the upgrade frim 7/8.1->10) you can clean install as much as you want without ever needing a key.

should say, if you do the upgrade, its best to also clean install afterwards, the upgrade is hilareously buggy.

So my laptop came with an OEM Windows 8.1. I want to do a clean install of Windows 10, but I don't have a product key for it. Can I use the product key of my current Windows to activate Windows 10? How do I extract it?

2 minutes ago, Aels747 said:

Upgrading to windows 10 is pretty easy. Look at the taskbar on the bottom right of your screen. You should see something windows 10 related. If simple from there...

If you cant see the windows 10 icon, its probably because your laptop isn't compatible.

This should help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

Can I get rid of all the junk of the previous OS after upgrading to Windows 10? Basically a clean install with reinstalling the whole OS?

Sorry, I'm a little confused...what do you mean by junk?

Do you want to upgrade to windows 10 as if you just got a new laptop? With absolutey no previous data?

10 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

So my laptop came with an OEM Windows 8.1. I want to do a clean install of Windows 10, but I don't have a product key for it. Can I use the product key of my current Windows to activate Windows 10? How do I extract it?

Use upgrade option > get windows 10 > when prompted for product key while reinstalling just skip and it will auto verify it

Source: I literally did a clean win 10 update a 3 days ago

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

5 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Can I get rid of all the junk of the previous OS after upgrading to Windows 10? Basically a clean install with reinstalling the whole OS?

There's a app called disk cleanup found in windows. You can alternatively use that to clean all the previous OS junk. But i suggest reinstalling, i got tons of BSOD which was fixed after a clean install

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

After some research, I found out that Windows 10 now allows activation from a previous Windows 7/8 product key. How can I extract the 25-digit product key?

the moment win10 has been on the computer (as in, when you did the upgrade frim 7/8.1->10) you can clean install as much as you want without ever needing a key.

should say, if you do the upgrade, its best to also clean install afterwards, the upgrade is hilareously buggy.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

How does the PC memorize the key? Is it in the BIOS or something?

12 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

After some research, I found out that Windows 10 now allows activation from a previous Windows 7/8 product key. How can I extract the 25-digit product key?

It's on a sticker on the laptop. 

And the key is bound to the motherboard

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

1 minute ago, djdelarosa25 said:

How does the PC memorize the key? Is it in the BIOS or something?

i have no idea how it works, but i know windows keys tie to your mobo, so i'm guessing while activating it just sends some unique ID of your mobo to MS to see if it has a key tied to it or something.

1 minute ago, Allshevski said:

It's on a sticker on the laptop. 

theoretically it should be, indeed.

although some manufacturers really like to hide that sticker :P