Question about Dolby Atmos

Go to solution Solved by deemon,
55 minutes ago, Ryzone said:

Well it's built into the game, and it says you only need stereo headphones for it to work.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/games/overwatch.html

When you say Dolby Atmos, for most of the people this mean usually some 7.1.4 speaker setups (7.1 with 4 ceiling speakers) or better, not some simulated surround represented in traditional stereo in your headset. Overwatch uses Dolby Atmos for headphones which is entirely different thing than Dolby Atmos. By watching the video from your link, it does look like that the "Dolby Atmos for headphones" is just another newer/better Dolby Prologic or something... surround sound converted the best way possible to your normal 2.0 headphones. Whereas "Dolby Atmos" is actually true surround sound with 12+ speakers around your room.

SO to your original question... because it's outputted as normal stereo, then YES, your normal DAC/AMP or whatever you use with your normal stereo headphones will work with Dolby Atmos for headphones with Overwatch. And as far as I know Overwatch does not have support for true Dolby Atmos. Just the emulated stuff for headphones.

Hey guys, I was searching all over the net trying to find an answer. I wanted to ask does Dolby Atmos work though a DAC / Amp combo? I'm currently using the Micca OriGen. That new Blizzard game Overwatch just came out and has the Dolby Atmos setting in game. I turned it on and it seems to be working, but again I'm not sure if it does work though a DAC or am I just crazy.

TL:DR Does Dolby Atmos work with a DAC/AMP?

Dolby atmos need a... dolby atmos set up...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

55 minutes ago, Ryzone said:

Well it's built into the game, and it says you only need stereo headphones for it to work.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/games/overwatch.html

When you say Dolby Atmos, for most of the people this mean usually some 7.1.4 speaker setups (7.1 with 4 ceiling speakers) or better, not some simulated surround represented in traditional stereo in your headset. Overwatch uses Dolby Atmos for headphones which is entirely different thing than Dolby Atmos. By watching the video from your link, it does look like that the "Dolby Atmos for headphones" is just another newer/better Dolby Prologic or something... surround sound converted the best way possible to your normal 2.0 headphones. Whereas "Dolby Atmos" is actually true surround sound with 12+ speakers around your room.

SO to your original question... because it's outputted as normal stereo, then YES, your normal DAC/AMP or whatever you use with your normal stereo headphones will work with Dolby Atmos for headphones with Overwatch. And as far as I know Overwatch does not have support for true Dolby Atmos. Just the emulated stuff for headphones.