[Unboxing] Butterfly Labs 7 GH/S Bitcoin Miner

Originally I pre-ordered a "Jalapeno" unit, but when BFL offered to upgrade to a 7GH/S unit for just a tad more money, I shrugged and said why not. Here's a link to BFL's product page.

post-2468-0-24251300-1380269173_thumb.jp

post-2468-0-00195000-1380269187_thumb.jp

post-2468-0-85747000-1380269194_thumb.jp

I must admit, I stopped paying attention to the shenanigans going on with production of these products, and was quite surprised to find a mug included in my order. Packaging was nice and well thought out, and when I first tested my unit it was running at a nice 8.5 (ish) GH/S, but soon dropped and is holding at around 7.4 GH/S. Note that the temp reading in the second image is off - I've got the unit in front of a window A/C unit because this puppy puts out heat!

post-2468-0-78402500-1380269217_thumb.jp

post-2468-0-27388000-1380270818_thumb.jppost-2468-0-74314200-1380269362_thumb.pn

All-in-all, a nice little toy if your'e not expecting to make your money back. I wish it ran quieter, however and am thinking of opening it up and replacing the stock fan - kind of an oversight on BFL's part to think someone buying something this small and low power would want to put up with that noisy fan 24/7.

Could we have a link to that miner?

Updated with a link to their product page - the 7GH/S miner isn't exactly available for purchase, but the 5GH/S miner should be pretty much the same thing.

Updated with a link to their product page - the 7GH/S miner isn't exactly available for purchase, but the 5GH/S miner should be pretty much the same thing.

Another question, will this ever pay itself back?

https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage-new-products/600-gh-bitcoin-mining-card.html

propably not, but maybe in a couple of years. not including power required.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

so this was a gimmick purchase? :P

i used a calculator and its says the thing should rake in ~$60 a month not including power. Thoughts?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

so this was a gimmick purchase? :P

i used a calculator and its says the thing should rake in ~$60 a month not including power. Thoughts?

Sounds right, but at the currnet rate It'll about halve each month.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Sounds right, but at the currnet rate It'll about halve each month.

so it MIGHT pay for itself in year...

crud :P guess i wont be buying one

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

It could make a profit depending how much the hash continues to increase. http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

While it might not bring in thousands, it should bring in something while adding to the overall security of the blockchain. Plus as a techie, mining is a very interesting and fun thing to get into.

Great unboxing, the mug is a little unexpected but a nice bonus... Depending how much heat the asic puts out, you could use it as a usb mug warmer to keep coffee hot ;)

You should be able to easily open it, and add in a noctua fan or two.

To anyone interested in buying an ASIC, I'd stay away from butterfly labs. They have had and continue to have many issues, which will make your pre-order investment nearly worthless if they ever deliver. I probably wouldn't recommend purchasing any asics from any company at the moment due to the arms race we have in asic development. Wait until you can purchase and have the asic shipped next business day. Pre-orders will bite you in the ass in most cases.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Man, I want one :(

All I have is a ASIC USB miner -.-

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Might? Not really http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/a/728bf11e0e <-- The only actually trustworthy mining calculator.

Hm....

I havent looked at LC mining.

Maybe that'll be a better bet

Nice unboxing. As @RuecanOnRails says, I would only ever buy on of these when I know I can have it delivered within a day or two. That way I know exactly what I can "expect", more or less, to be making. Not have it show up 6 months or even a year later... I have had my eye on Butterfly from some time, probably almost two years now, and their continued problems, performance issues and shipping problems stopped me from ever pulling the trigger.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

they acutealy make dedicated stuff for that... oh cool :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

they acutealy make dedicated stuff for that... oh cool :D

yeah, you can purchase these USB miners that go for ~$80 and they perform pretty well for the price, better than my GTX 680

yeah, you can purchase these USB miners that go for ~$80 and they perform pretty well for the price, better than my GTX 680

wut... so how much money do you get for 1 bitcoin and how long would it take to mine one coin with one of those usb thingys?? 

-Adolf Hitler 

wut... so how much money do you get for 1 bitcoin and how long would it take to mine one coin with one of those usb thingys?? 

bitcoins fluctuate in price, it depends on how the market is, think of it like stocks, but instead it's a currency.

I think the USB miners cost around .175 bitcoins for it, so it would take ages, just go and purchase it

bitcoins fluctuate in price, it depends on how the market is, think of it like stocks, but instead it's a currency.

I think the USB miners cost around .175 bitcoins for it, so it would take ages, just go and purchase it

link ?? 

-Adolf Hitler 

It could make a profit depending how much the hash continues to increase. http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

While it might not bring in thousands, it should bring in something while adding to the overall security of the blockchain. Plus as a techie, mining is a very interesting and fun thing to get into.

Great unboxing, the mug is a little unexpected but a nice bonus... Depending how much heat the asic puts out, you could use it as a usb mug warmer to keep coffee hot ;)

You should be able to easily open it, and add in a noctua fan or two.

To anyone interested in buying an ASIC, I'd stay away from butterfly labs. They have had and continue to have many issues, which will make your pre-order investment nearly worthless if they ever deliver. I probably wouldn't recommend purchasing any asics from any company at the moment due to the arms race we have in asic development. Wait until you can purchase and have the asic shipped next business day. Pre-orders will bite you in the ass in most cases.

Yeah, pretty much agree with all that. I'm a little disappointed with my "investment" but it is one of those cool toys none of your friends will ever own. The BFL forums are ripe with anger over people expecting to make their money back, and BFL's responses aren't exactly amiable.  :rolleyes:

link ?? 

This?

Here's the the pricing per bitcoin.

http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/

https://bitcoinaverage.com/#USD - average price taken from multiple exchanges.

Do not get one of those small usb block erupter miners. They mine at only 333 M/hash. Which currently is about 15 cents per day or .0011 bitcoins per day. The difficulty of the hashing algorithm for bitcoin has been increasing roughly 70% each month. That 15 cents next month will be down to 10 cents and continue to lower making it unprofitable. It still is interesting to get one if you can find one for really cheap, just to experiment with how bitcoin works. But you would be better off purchasing the coins directly.

http://bitcoindifficulty.com/

If you want to find out what your current hardware is capable of, you can check out this hardware comparison chart https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Ok I also got my miner about 4 weeks ago and have been mining 24-7 I'll have around $140 in bitcoins with in a bout 3-4 days or 1.0 BTC quite happy with that. Sounds good right? Well when I just hooked it up I was getting around $7-8 well now I'm getting about  $3-4 (depending on pricing). There is no point in getting any of the current rigs as it wont be profitable. **Edit: Wont see ROI for a long time** To really get on the train you'll have to get the 600GH/s one but its still probable to late I was lucky as I got my ASIC before the difficulty got to high. I'm hoping once the difficultly gets too night to be profitable that instead of doing integer operations I can do Floating point operations (so I can do folding at home), but I dont know much about the ASIC. (I also really doubt this is possible)

Ok I also got my miner about 4 weeks ago and have been mining 24-7 I'll have around $140 in bitcoins with in a bout 3-4 days or 1.0 BTC quite happy with that. Sounds good right? Well when I just hooked it up I was getting around $7-8 well now I'm getting about  $3-4 (depending on pricing). There is no point in getting any of the current rigs as it wont be profitable. **Edit: Wont see ROI for a long time** To really get on the train you'll have to get the 600GH/s one but its still probable to late I was lucky as I got my ASIC before the difficulty got to high. I'm hoping once the difficultly gets too night to be profitable that instead of doing integer operations I can do Floating point operations (so I can do folding at home), but I dont know much about the ASIC. (I also really doubt this is possible)

No, unfortunately those ASIC miners are all software and are typically geared for one thing only - BC mining. You cannot use them for Folding, or even LC mining for that matter...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

No, unfortunately those ASIC miners are all software and are typically geared for one thing only - BC mining. You cannot use them for Folding, or even LC mining for that matter...

Dont you mean hardware? as if it was software it could just be changed to do new things. But still think your right they dont call it an  Application-specific integrated circuit for nothing

If you found the right software, you could fold with an ASIC - whether it'd be worth it (vs other hardware) or not I don't know.