What is this code?

Sy3d

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I received an email last night from myself. I don't remember sending it or creating what was attached. I downloaded the zip file (gave me a hard time because it might have been a virus), scanned it with bitdefender (said it was clean), then extracted it to a usb drive so I could open it in notepad++. I  didn't recognize the code, so I uploaded here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/c5ee93cd2e24a1ef98051ea2abce8f9be1ba3759d17524cfa390bd61c352262e/analysis/1464361357/

Anyone know what this might be?

what was in that you opened in notepad++, i mean what file type?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, madknight3 said:

Maybe just post a screenshot of the code opened in Notepad++?

Not a dodgy AF link or anything here :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Mmm someone is worried they might have a virus, how many will open a link about this?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

4 minutes ago, soup said:

Mmm someone is worried they might have a virus, how many will open a link about this?

I am currently on chromeOS  i think i'll be ok :P screen shot of code would work

I've got an Ubuntu VM, I'll look into this file everyone's too scared to touch :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've got an Ubuntu VM, I'll look into this file everyone's too scared to touch :P

I'm on Arch myself, so let's see what's going on.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It appears the OP's link is to a page that scanned the actual file and found it to be clean (harmless link people).  Trying to download the actual file from his OneDrive however is impossible since OneDrive blocks it for being a virus...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It appears the OP's link is to a page that scanned the actual file and found it to be clean (harmless link people).  Trying to download the actual file from his OneDrive however is impossible since OneDrive blocks it for being a virus...

Figures the file would be as sketchy as their story about getting it lol

@Sy3d  so it looks like that file is definitely something bad, even though most of your scans say otherwise.  I would look into adding 2-step verification to your email and changing your password if you think someone broke into your account to send this to you from you.  It is possible however that they just faked the email coming from you and further inspection would reveal that it was in fact from someone else trying to infect you.

Sorry, too scared to open the code again.. lol. Plugged the usb back in and bitdefender right away warned me of a trojan. Unplugged the usb right away

Just now, Sy3d said:

Sorry, too scared to open the code again.. lol. Plugged the usb back in and bitdefender right away warned me of a trojan. Unplugged the usb right away

yeah don't do that it is for sure a virus :)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@Sy3d  so it looks like that file is definitely something bad, even though most of your scans say otherwise.  I would look into adding 2-step verification to your email and changing your password if you think someone broke into your account to send this to you from you.  It is possible however that they just faked the email coming from you and further inspection would reveal that it was in fact from someone else trying to infect you.

Will do. Should I run a factory reset on my kindle fire (google play sideloaded) just in case? 

2 minutes ago, Sy3d said:

weird that it didn't detect it the first time around.

1 minute ago, Sy3d said:

Will do. Should I run a factory reset on my kindle fire (google play sideloaded) just in case? 

I highly doubt it was capable of infecting it.  It was virtually certainly a windows virus.

2 minutes ago, Sy3d said:

Download a couple of AV apps (Malwarebytes and Kaspersky haves ones) and run a scan.

i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240M (GC Extreme Thermal Compound) / Asus Maximus VIII Gene / 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 / 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus & 2TB SeaGate Barracuda HDD / EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 / XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold  / Fractal Design Node 804                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Total: £1042.31

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I highly doubt it was capable of infecting it.  It was virtually certainly a windows virus.

Thanks. Scared the crap out of me when I first saw it, didn't know what it was at all. haha