GTX 1080 "Founder's Edtion" Throttling Discussed

Many were surprised when the "Founder's Edition" GTX 1080's were in hand, and testing was underway for the full *official* reviews.

The 67*C operating temperature and 2100 MHz Boost Clock, seen at GTC 2016, was not exactly what was seen in reality.

In JayzTwoCents' most recent YouTube video, he discusses the (thermal) throttling issues the GTX 1080 "Founder's Edition" experiences while under a "gaming" load in Crysis 3.

...16 nm FinFET is a very, very small [transistor], and what that means is you are going to have a lot of focused heat, so the idea of 67*C under load was really kind of mind boggling...because with it being so small and focused, we expected the temperatures to actually be kind of hot.

At stock settings...

• 100% Power Target
  • 83*C Temperature Limit
  • No Voltage increase
  • Stock Core and Boost Clock configurations

The card actually, both, Power Limit throttles and Thermal throttles. In fact, you can see it throttles all the way back down to *near* Base Clock frequency (advertised Base Clock is 1607 MHz, lowest Clock shown in video is 1620 MHz).

Once the game finished up loading, a few minutes of talking later, the Boost Clock has already dropped from the initial 1860 MHz down to 1810 MHz.

GPU usage was indicated at 95%, temperature of 78*C, usage of 99%, and with fan speed of 50%. A few seconds later, once the temperature creeped up to 80*C, the Boost Clock continues to decrease down to 1797 MHz.

He then follows up by increasing the Temperature Limit to 92*C, and Power Limit to 120%.

...and then I have another profile set-up -- no overclocking or anything; just Power Target, or Power Limit, and our Temperature Threshold...and what that will do is - I will increase the temperature from the factory setting of 83*C, which is where it will start to thermal throttle, and then we will raise that up to 92, and then I have the power limit set to 120 percent...so we can exceed the power enveloped designed by nVidia by 20% before it starts to pull back power due to power draw.

Once the Power and Temperature Limit profile was increased, the Boost clock immediately jumps back up to 1785 MHz.

The card jumps up to as high as 105% power, and 86*C temperature, while maintaining a relatively consistent 1785 MHz Boost Clock.

For the final bit of the testing process, he manually sets the fan speed to a fixed 80%.

The temperatures and Core Clock stays stable at 80*C and 1797 MHz respectively.

...people are making a big deal, again, because of that [GTC] demo 'cause the reality here is all of the reference cards -- in the history of...the reference cards -- have done this. This is nothing new. 
In fact people wouldn't  even be making a point it is thermal throttling if nVidia didn't make the point it is "only 67 C." So I do think there was a mistake made on that stage...whether if there was a bit of an expectation...*planted* in all of our minds, followed by a big...disappointment when it came to the reality of...it's still a reference cooler that cannot keep these temperatures in check, with the way they are shipped out-of-the-box. You got to go in there an "tweak" some settings.

Also keep in mind, Jayz's test system is on an open test bench. If you were to have the system enclosed in a full computer case / chassis, the temperatures are expected to be higher. He clearly outlines this in closing of the video.

Now remember, this was in an open-air test bench, which means the only cooling factory on the card, is the card itself; case flow was not a factor. So if you have a small-form factor case, or even a *regular* enclosure of some sort, you might even see thermal throttling happening sooner, and you might see [the Core Clock] come down even farther...depending on what your case flow is like.

To conclude:

1. The card operates at a much higher than *shown* temperature of 67*C.
  2. Using the "Founder's Edition" cooler, the GTX 1080 is unable to achieve a 2100 MHz Boost Clock under a gaming load. 

It was clear nVidia was just attempting to stir-up some "chattering" by purposely showing 67*C and 2100 MHz Core Clock during GTC 2016. Of course, this is all part of "marketing" and you cannot blame them for it -- but it is very misleading, nonetheless.

And... additionally, more information regarding to this situation may be found on this thread post here: 

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Nvidia's GPU Boot is shit. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pascal = Fermi 2.0

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Not really sure what people were expecting, did they really believe that?

'Hey guys, you can get a 33%, 500mhz overclock on this stock blower cooler while being below 70C."

Edit: I have no doubt that aftermarket cards will be able to at least hit 2.1ghz, we've seen maxwell have some amazing overclocks, but to think it would do so AND do it at 67C on the stock blower cooler is buying into Nvidia's marketing too much. It should have been obvious that average cards wouldn't be able to do that precisely because that's what was shown, if the average card could, they would have shown something more impressive.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

This wouldn't be news if people would quit being retarded enough to actually listen to what Nvidia says about their products.

Anyone who is surprised by this I'm sorry to say is an idiot.

Since when do reference coolers with 1 fan provide good cooling again? Oh literally never?

If only there was a recent example of this happening. Hmm... *cough* Titan X *cough*

People keep closing their eyes and wiping their memory to have unrealistic optimistic expectations or what?

Reference coolers are shit. Welcome to GPU 101 guys.

Just now, Hunched said:

This wouldn't be news if people would quit being retarded enough to actually listen to what Nvidia says about their products.

Since when do reference coolers with 1 fan provide good cooling again? Oh literally never?

If only there was a recent example of this happening. Hmm... *cough* Titan X *cough*

People keep closing their eyes and wiping their memory to have unrealistic optimistic expectations or what?

20 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

*Clipped*

I'll be interested to see how 3rd party cards deal with this... 

2 minutes ago, sterlingr said:

I'll be interested to see how 3rd party cards deal with this... 

It's simple.

They'll put a good cooler on it, one that isn't closed and has double or even triple the fans, and it will cool it well unlike the reference cooler.

Like how its been since the beginning of time.

10 minutes ago, Hunched said:

It's simple.

They'll put a good cooler on it, one that isn't closed and has double or even triple the fans, and it will cool it well unlike the reference cooler.

...along with a more robust VRM (instead of the 5 phase one they have now) and add a additional 6/8 pin connector.

2.5GHz here we come!

25 minutes ago, Daegun said:

*snip*

21 minutes ago, Hunched said:

*snip*

12 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

*snip*

I'm not so much surprised this was the situation, but the fact that people are thinking 2100 MHz is possible on reference cooling all over the god damn web is just ridiculous. Considering how the the reference GTX 1080 is able to reach close to 1900 MHz, I am not at all surprised a custom cooled card could reach 2100 MHz or beyond.

That said, EVEN with an aftermarket cooler, people need to be realistic.

IMO, I don't 110% think if something like an ASUS STRIX, MSi TwinFrozr, or even a EVGA ACX 2.0 AIR cooler can do the hyped "2500 MHz or more." 1607 MHz to 2500 MHz is freakin' ~900 MHz.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

I'm not so much surprised this was the situation, but the fact that people are thinking 2100+ MHz is possible all over the god damn web is just ridiculous.

Considering how the the reference GTX 1080 is reach close to 1900 MHz, I am not at all surprised a custom cooled card can could reach 2100 MHz or beyond.

That said, EVEN with an aftermarket cooler, people need to be realistic -- IMO, I don't 110% think if something like an ASUS STRIX, MSi TwinFrozr, or even a EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler can do the hyped "2500 MHz or more." 1607 MHz to 2500 MHz is freakin' ~900 MHz.

I'm not hyped for the 1080 at all. Honestly, the Founders Edition BS killed the card permanently for me.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

19 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

the fact that people are thinking 2100+ MHz is possible all over the god damn web is just ridiculous.

That's what happens when you have cunts who care nothing but to report what Nvidia says as if their claims are fact before anyone can test it to verify, just so they can get their clicks and their money for their "reporting" and "journalism" copy/paste.

And all the idiots on forums who also further spew the likely invalid information everywhere because they have nothing better to do than to reassure their alliance with a team.

It's funny how when consoles or whatever come out with claims of performance everyone puts their skepticism hats on, but when Nvidia says their shit can do X, everyone equips their blind following glasses.

Then they're in shock and awe when for the 100th time they didn't tell the truth.

The cycles are just... really annoying. 

It would be nice if people could learn.

"oh my god, a single fanned hotbox doesn't cool well. This defies my grade 1 level understanding of heat transfer!"

"oh my god, a company said their product was better than it actually was. That's impossible"

I mean, they're so stupid they're willing to pay $100 more for it too, and preorder them to the point they sell out of Amazon asap.

Literal sheep.

Maybe they should charge $200 more for the 1180 and ship it just PCB, no cooling of any kind.

Super Cool Kid Edition.

Cooler sold separately. 

People would buy it.

I think we all knew that the card would not be hitting 2100 core clock at 67C on a reference card. The main concern here is that the card thermal throttles in an OPEN test bench, the most ideal situation, down to it's base clock. Of course reference cards suck (or blow) at cooling compared with custom solutions, but it would be nice to see them actually run as intended under reasonable circumstances. Having a boost clock which kicks in sometimes and reverts back to normal speeds because of thermals is not ideal or desirable and I hope nothing like this or the 290x reference ever happen again. It's bad publicity and results in lower benchmarks. I think the best move by Nvidia would be to ditch the boost clock for an achievable base clock so that people get a consistent experience.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

I think you cannot stress this enough: they expect you to pay 100 extra for the privilege of a crippled out of the box product.

-------

Current Rig

-------

built of premium components my ass

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

5 hours ago, Hunched said:

Reference coolers are shit. Welcome to GPU 101 guys.

except that they intentionally mislead people into thinking it would be cool

Since when do reviewers set the fan speed manually when they benchmark a GPU without disclosing it ? specially at launch when hype is at all time high.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

6 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Yes, but what you also need to remember, they only ran a render sequence at 2.1GHz and 67c... They never gamed it at those settings.

we all jumped to conclusions... smart marketing 

6 hours ago, Hunched said:

It's simple.

And add modified BIOS's ;)

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Well if this is to be believed, power throttling has been solved. Either my eyes deceive me or those are 2x8 pin connectors (lower one looks like 8+6?).

8+6 pin, that's an SC edition... Only the FTW and Classified and Kingpin will most likely see 8+8 pin

56 minutes ago, DXMember said:

built of premium components my ass

Premium PR components yes... ;)

20 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

except that they intentionally mislead people into thinking it would be cool

Actually no, they said nothing of gaming, they just showed that it could run 2.1GHz at 67c without showing the power, thermal targets and fan profile... It was also running a simple render... No gaming. We all made assumptions...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

12 minutes ago, GidonsClaw said:

8+6 pin, that's an SC edition... Only the FTW and Classified and Kingpin will most likely see 8+8 pin

Personally I hope there is no need for a 8+8, they've been talking about low power consumption and have been hyping it on that, but if it has to have a 2nd 8 pin to max it, then that is a disappointment. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

dont know why people think this is a big deal, the founders is overpriced and hot.  oh well ill just have to get an AIB card.......again

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

11 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Personally I hope there is no need for a 8+8, they've been talking about low power consumption and have been hyping it on that, but if it has to have a 2nd 8 pin to max it, then that is a disappointment. 

Nope, it means those cards are focused on extracting maximum performance... Watts be damned!

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

5 minutes ago, GidonsClaw said:

Nope, it means those cards are focused on extracting maximum performance... Watts be damned!

As I've said, If a card that is supposed to be very efficient, for a flagship, needs that much power to max it, then that's for me disappointing. But as always, that's NV marketing, can't say I'm surprised by that. It's actually my fault for believing for a second 1 8 pin is gonna be enough.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Sounds like the batmobile shroud cooler lives up to the reputation of batman:AK. Lel

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero