AMD Zen processors to have "double the performance of the FX 8350", performance pictures posted

Z3DT

AMD has revealed that Zen will have double the performance of the FX 8350 and will trade blows with Intel’s eight core i7 5960X Extreme Edition.

[...]

Compared to AMD’s “Orochi” quad module, eight core die powering the FX 8350, the Zen based desktop Summit Ridge eight core CPU delivers double the performance in Cinebench R15. This means that a single Zen core is in effect equivalent to two Piledriver cores in performance

AMD-Zen-Performance-Double-FX-83501.jpg

AMD seems to be making quite the comeback. I'm interested to see whether the Zen chips will make buying an AMD chip for a higher-end machine will be worth it again.

Source

Get it AMD. 

I was expecting 4790K performance but 5960X? hard to believe honestly

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

we will see upgrading to skylake in 2 months so happy with that for the coming 2-3 years. but if amd PUSHES their proccesor further they maybe make a chance.

PC || CPU - I5 3570K @4.5ghz|| Motherboard - Asrock Z77 extreme 4 || CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 || RAM - 1x8GB Vengeance Blue - XPG Adata 2x4GB's (16GB) || Graphics card - EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 2.0 SLI || Storage- SEAGATE FIRECUDA 1TB ||PSU- Corsair AX750 watt gold rated|| Case- NZXT 340 WHITE

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

good news if it does. that means industry is getting a serious shove. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

AMDs initially fabricating octa and hexa core chips so 8 cores with Haswell like IPC, I suspect preformance inbetween 4960x and 5960x for the flagship chip

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

AMDs initially fabricating octa and hexa core chips so 8 cores with Haswell like IPC, I suspect preformance inbetween 4960x and 5960x for the flagship chip

they are getting close intel maybe affraid but i don't think.

PC || CPU - I5 3570K @4.5ghz|| Motherboard - Asrock Z77 extreme 4 || CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 || RAM - 1x8GB Vengeance Blue - XPG Adata 2x4GB's (16GB) || Graphics card - EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 2.0 SLI || Storage- SEAGATE FIRECUDA 1TB ||PSU- Corsair AX750 watt gold rated|| Case- NZXT 340 WHITE

Nvidia recently released a photo about their 1080 cards performing twice as good sa the current offering.
Another double performance claim, I see. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

"big performance leap expected" so not yet confirmed right?

Orochi is bulldozer die, so not the FX 8350 but rather the 8150.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

1 minute ago, GtaSeriesFan said:

they are getting close intel maybe affraid but i don't think.

For the love of God, please use punctuation.

But yeah, AMD is finally becoming relevant again. I'm not going to make any guesses on performance or where I expect it to be, but if the claims are right that's really impressive, especially considering AMD's general price/performance.

With how slow things are imrpvoing these days, we could have expected AMD to get closer and closer to Intel with their products. I guess Moore's law irunning out of steam s working in their favour. 

3 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

Nvidia recently released a photo about their 1080 cards performing twice as good sa the current offering.
Another double performance claim, I see. 

their "2x better" claims were about VR

they showed its 30% better in regular games

maybe try to pay more attention next time

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Would be interesting to see something from AMD come right out and go to bat with intel's extreme chips. I think that would give intel the push they need to finally break into 6+ cores on the mainstream socket and then even more on the extreme socket. If this level of performance turns out to be true then AMD won't even have to be that aggressive with the pricing since it would be performing on par with the more expensive intel offerings, they could ask for a similar price to the mainstream i7 while performing like the big boy chips in heavy apps. I'm also interested to see how single core performance pans out in games, since the 6700k is better than any of the extreme offerings for just gaming. I can't help but wonder how these Zen chips will clock up.

Anyone have guesses for pricing?

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

their "2x better" claims were about VR

they showed its 30% better in regular games

maybe try to pay more attention next time

mhm

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

2 minutes ago, Z3DT said:

For the love of God, please use punctuation.

But yeah, AMD is finally becoming relevant again. I'm not going to make any guesses on performance or where I expect it to be, but if the claims are right that's really impressive, especially considering AMD's general price/performance.

"big performance leap expected" so this is not yet confirmed.

keep-calm-and-just-wait-25.png

10 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Well, since they're both Haswell: getting similar performance to one means similar performance to both. 

But this once again confirms what I've been saying all along: Summit Ridge is an enthusiast product and therefore competes with Intel's enthusiast product: Haswell-E (and its successors). 8 cores don't compete with 4 in the desktop market. 

but do they run on Z170? :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I just got a 6700k last week, so I won't be buying a high tier Zen product, but this does get me excited about the Zen desktop apu for a new htpc build to replace my long in the tooth q6600 hd 4870 build

28 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

5960X loses to lower cpu's in games though so unless your doing production or a game is cpu intensive wont bet on it beating the regular i7's all the time

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

AMD has revealed that Zen will have double the performance of the FX 8350 and will trade blows with Intel’s eight core i7 5960X Extreme Edition.

You mean Zen "Pro" + I7-5960X like this?

tumblr_ln71kjWy8y1qb83ob.gif

Groomlake Authority

41 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

good news if it does. that means industry is getting a serious shove. 

No it doesn't. When AMD catches up to Intel in instruction latencies, it finally gets difficult to extract more performance (pipeline depth, branch prediction, loop detection, and result forwarding between instructions have already been implemented and have net Intel only 15% more performance on the whole). And if people want to buy more cores when the software ecosystem is just getting out of its diapers in multithreading, that's going to be both a bad investment in the short and long term.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

No it doesn't. When AMD catches up to Intel in instruction latencies, it finally gets difficult to extract more performance (pipeline depth, branch prediction, loop detection, and result forwarding between instructions have already been implemented and have net Intel only 15% more performance on the whole). And if people want to buy more cores when the software ecosystem is just getting out of its diapers in multithreading, that's going to be both a bad investment in the short and long term.

moar corz tho....

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

this NEEDS to be good. there is nothing evolving in the computer world because AMD is doing shit and not competing 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016