Tech Now vs Then - Sponsored by SAGE

SAGE by Hughes: http://bit.ly/1Oqif8W

Well, this video makes Linus seem like a bit of an old man... But why the heck are kids these days so darn spoiled?

Kids nowadays tech things for granted. Gone are the days of appreciating 1GB of GDDR3.

MGL5WWi.png

Who's the Linus stunt double? I don't see socks and sandals here. Does LG need to send him more?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

5 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Gone are the days of appreciating 1GB of GDDR3.

Only because 1GB of GDDR3 isn't capable of a lot anymore.

That being said, up until last year, I was still running games off 256 megabytes of it. I had to mod Skyrim to run at 480p at well below its lowest settings to get a playable framerate.

Gone are the days of the 80 year old telling stories of "back in my day"; tech moves so fast that 15 year olds will tell those stories to 10 year olds xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yes, it was totally your cute kid that inspired you to do the video and not the sponsorship dollars.

Is that t-shirt design available yet? Ive been gone for a few weeks so might have missed a post regarding them.

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

Got me thinking of my childhood.got more similarities to Linus..thx for making this video

how old is Linux?
If I would have to guess I'd say he's 10 years older than me,

but I remember all that from being a lot older then his kid

-- Great content, more of these should be done

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I remember all of those innovations.. and I'm not even that old...

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

I would love a GIF of Linus skate rolling with the cassette player xD

OMG now I remember that I had a SEGA Game Gear too.

I totally forgot that because it died ~20 years ago. 

every game had the "LAN" modus

and noone had internet to get whatever you'd like form all over the world

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Mobile games ain't got shit on gameboy games. Mostly due to physical buttons, but there weren't no micro transactions or ads in the middle of them.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 hours ago, Ronda said:

Yes, it was totally your cute kid that inspired you to do the video and not the sponsorship dollars.

Hate if you want, but your sass is severely misplaced.

Yes, the video was sponsored. Employees here have to eat - sorry. But if it was just about the money, why would we spend the time to come up with (what I believe is) a genuinely interesting concept in an effort to provide an entertaining end result - which I think we did here.

If the goal here was to make a quick and easy buck, why wouldn't we just do a product showcase of the system? Surely that would be a hell of a lot easier than coming up with a concept, scenarios, sourcing props, etc.

The world isn't black and white. Being paid to do something shouldn't imply that money is the only motivation.

2 hours ago, Vladelos said:

I would love a GIF of Linus skate rolling with the cassette player xD

http://giphy.com/gifs/26z0FLM4jevfufQZy

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

36 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Hate if you want, but your sass is severely misplaced.

Yes, the video was sponsored. Employees here have to eat - sorry. But if it was just about the money, why would we spend the time to come up with (what I believe is) a genuinely interesting concept in an effort to provide an entertaining end result - which I think we did here.

If the goal here was to make a quick and easy buck, why wouldn't we just do a product showcase of the system? Surely that would be a hell of a lot easier than coming up with a concept, scenarios, sourcing props, etc.

The world isn't black and white. Being paid to do something shouldn't imply that money is the only motivation.

I don't hate it.

I wouldn't have commented at all if I did.

I guess I just find Linus' sense of humour to be so dry I never considered it a genuine attempt at humour. Like how with every joke on the WAN show the badness of the joke is the joke.

So when there's a whole video of just that, I struggle to believe that's something he really wanted to make.

But on second thought I guess it would be silly to think Linus would keep making those jokes so candidly and consistently if he didn't truly enjoy them.

My apologies, oh, forever thanked bestower of videos.

I still remember watching movies on VHS and when you have to go to a different scene, you have to press the FF or REW on the remote while the movie is still playing. Unlike DVDs, just select a chapter. 

And Linus has a BSB CD, I have that too. xD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I still have a IBM Laptop in my Basement and with 50+ 8Mb Floppy Disk that hasn't been read for about 25 years...