liquid Nitrogen as a viable everyday option

ok , i had the dumbest idea the other day , what if i was to use liquid nitrogen in a everyday system and make it work. at first i had the idea to put it in a conventional water cooler but then relised it would freeze up the pipes . then i had the thought " what if you where to put it in a custom metal loop and effectively cycle it around with a pump " then it would kinda be like a hardline loop.

this is a dumb idea i know but does anyone have any opinions on how to make it work

:P

3 minutes ago, Euan_enterprise said:

ok , i had the dumbest idea the other day , what if i was to use liquid nitrogen in a everyday system and make it work. at first i had the idea to put it in a conventional water cooler but then relised it would freeze up the pipes . then i had the thought " what if you where to put it in a custom metal loop and effectively cycle it around with a pump " then it would kinda be like a hardline loop.

this is a dumb idea i know but does anyone have any opinions on how to make it work

It wouldn't work. You might have to keep manually pouring LN2 onto the PC every few seconds :P

Plus it kills the CPU over time.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Phase cooling is what you want if you wanted temps lower than a normal WC loop :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

yeah , i was thinking of a system that slowly drips in ln2 in order to cool it to the  negatives but keep it above the level of ridiculous 

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Phase cooling is what you want if you wanted temps lower than a normal WC loop :D 

nah bro, go big or go home

1 minute ago, Euan_enterprise said:

nah bro, go big or go home

Phase cooling will give you sub-zero temps like LN2 but you can leave it running for 24/7 will little maintenance as you have just basically strapped a freezer onto your CPU :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

yeah it could work but as stated you're either going to have to keep topping it up or you seal the unit and then need a way to cool the nitrogen back down. Then you get other problems such as condensation and the cold bug. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

There is probably a right way to do it but even if you get it working, it's bloody expensive, only for that reason i wouldn't do it :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

yeah , possibly a phase change cooler with some sort of built in mode for lol mode (ln2)

Problem with LN is that it evaporates (turns into gas), in any temp over -195C (or -320 °F).

Basicly : U lose coolant capacity to cool, if it isn't under -200C.
If U manage to turn gas Nitrogen into Liquid Nitrogen (requires temps under -200C or under -320F) in closed loop, U R golden.
Don't go too cold tho, because LN will start freezing (turn to "ice" or solid form), if it's cooled under -210C/-346F :D

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

1 hour ago, Euan_enterprise said:

yeah , possibly a phase change cooler with some sort of built in mode for lol mode (ln2)

That's what cascade phase change is for. -100`C on idle

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

There is probably a right way to do it but even if you get it working, it's bloody expensive, only for that reason i wouldn't do it :D

yeah , its an idea , if it had some feet in reality with something like a working plan i might consider doing it 

9 minutes ago, Euan_enterprise said:

3 stage cascasde phase, easily -150. And -125W With 200W.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

as these 'logical' solutions are too logical , im looking for silly :P

1 hour ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

3 stage cascasde phase, easily -150.

Cold bug?

Just now, FilipSebik said:

Cold bug?

Depends on the CPU, my 4770K Cold bugs at -144C, you can make skylake not cold bug under full pot (or LHe!), Sandy cold bugs very easily and Ivy barely cold bugs ever. And for AMD I dont think a single CPU Can cold bug.

1 hour ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Depends on the CPU, my 4770K Cold bugs at -144C, you can make skylake not cold bug under full pot (or LHe!), Sandy cold bugs very easily and Ivy barely cold bugs ever. And for AMD I dont think a single CPU Can cold bug.

It works like this? I guess every CPU had to cold bug at -120. Now i know its different

2 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

It works like this? I guess every CPU had to cold bug at -120. Now i know its different

No, each and every chip will cold bug differently.

2 hours ago, Euan_enterprise said:

It's not impossible... highly impractical, but not impossible. You would not only need pipes and everything that could withstand incredibly low temperatures, but massive pressures too to keep the Nitrogen liquid. Therefore you would need not only a pump to keep the nitrogen moving, but also a pressuriser to prevent it from boiling. This is pretty common place for water cooling outside of PC use.

3 hours ago, Euan_enterprise said:

as these 'logical' solutions are too logical , im looking for silly :P

we don't do silly here.. otherwise it is a waste of time, money and the community's resources..

23 hours ago, airdeano said:

we don't do silly here.. otherwise it is a waste of time, money and the community's resources..

At one time, people thought water cooling a PC was silly, though.  

"You want WATER---INSIDE a computer???"

On 5/22/2016 at 0:14 PM, ThinkWithPortals said:

It wouldn't work. You might have to keep manually pouring LN2 onto the PC every few seconds :P

How does it kill the CPU?

On 5/22/2016 at 0:42 PM, TheGamingBarrel said:

939 and AM2(+) both close to -30. Although 45nm +32nm SOI based chips did not have coldbug. 1156 has a coldbug around -80 although it is often board related- same for 45nm 1366 chips. 4770K will coldbug -120-135c usually. Yours was -132c when tested I believe. Sensor just jumped to -144c before it crapped itself. You'll have to come over a re-test some time now I own the dewar + pots.

On 5/22/2016 at 4:14 AM, ThinkWithPortals said:

Wat...? 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

21 hours ago, shibbs said:

At one time, people thought water cooling a PC was silly, though.  

"You want WATER---INSIDE a computer???"

Well... It kinda is, in terms of the performance you get for the cost (only in reference to custom loops).

4 hours ago, Lays said:

Wat...? 

4 hours ago, harrynowl said:

How does it kill the CPU?

Rapid temperature changes cause condensation to form around the CPU after extended periods of cooling with LN2, which I'm sure you can imagine is very bad indeed.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?