they nerfed the 1070?

DominicNikon

i randomly saw this video and decided to watch it. i dont really understand how nvidia nerfed the 1070 it appears like it should be faster then the 970. so can someone explain to me if nvidia did nerf it or this guy just doesnt know his stuff?

He's going by percentage of CUDA cores cut. Just going by specs, not performance.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Nerfing a product doesn't make it slower than the previous generation product inherently. That would make sales a lot less likely. That being said, the product could be still be nerfed. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Not watching the video, but the 970 is a stripped down 980 and the 1070 is a stripped down 1080.

Basically, they stripped down the 1070 more from the 1080 than they did the 970 from the 980.

Yes, it's still going to be superior, since it's a new generation.

The idea is that they didn't go as above and beyond as they did with the 970, it isn't as impressive this time around what they're offering for the price.

Good way to get youtube views.. but.. it's probably smarter to see what the actual performance comparison is like.  Cuda cores aren't everything.  I'm sure nvidia was very careful about exactly how fast it made the 1070 to coincide with current hardware and the price they want to launch it at.  The 970 was a huge success, I would assume they would want to recreate that again this time around too.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

He's going by the specs to extrapolate theoretical performance. The 1080 has 33% more CUDA cores than a 1070. In comparison, the 980 only had 23% more CUDA cores. CUDA cores are a fairly accurate way of knowing difference in performance between a full card and its cut down. So essentially what he's saying is that the performance gap between the 1080 and 1070 will be bigger than the gap between the 980 and 970 and the 1070 will not be as good performance per dollar as the 970 was.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

lol

someone doesnt understand how lower end hardware is made...

its the same GPU as the 1080

they disable parts of it to reduce performance, thats why it has less cores and other stuff

then they sell it at a lower price

thats how pretty much all computer hardware works

its not "nerfed" its just a different product

like an i5 is a different product from an i7

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Doesn't matter it will still destroy the 980 Ti and Titan X, price/perf. Just look at how the 970, wiped the 780 Ti and Titan Black.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

[removed]

When I was thinking of "nerfed," I was thinking more like the 970 specs being incorrect from what NVIDIA initially claimed. But of course the 1070 would have to have reduced performance. It's a lower end product. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, ybriK said:

Doesn't matter it will still destroy the 980 Ti and Titan X, price/perf. Just look at how the 970, wiped the 780 Ti and Titan Black.

The 970 didn't wipe the 780 ti. They were mostly tied in GameWorks games, and the 780 ti was faster in others. Going by these specs the 1070 is slower than a 980 ti when both are at stock.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

The 970 didn't wipe the 780 ti. They were mostly tied in GameWorks games, and the 780 ti was faster in others. Going by these specs the 1070 is slower than a 980 ti when both are at stock.

5 minutes ago, ybriK said:

price/perf.

11 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

He's going by percentage of CUDA cores cut. Just going by specs, not performance.

so the 1070 is fine?

1 minute ago, ybriK said:

Obviously, but that is not the argument he's making in the video. Obviously the 1070 will still be better perf/$ than those cards, but the argument is it could be better considering how small GP104 is and how cut down the 1070 is. The perf/$ of the 1070 would only be good in a vacuum where there wasn't a competitor also making GPUs.

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

lol

someone doesnt understand how lower end hardware is made...

its the same GPU as the 1080

they disable parts of it to reduce performance, thats why it has less cores and other stuff

then they sell it at a lower price

thats how pretty much all computer hardware works

its not "nerfed" its just a different product

like an i5 is a different product from an i7

should add to this that this is usually done because not every chip comes out the manufacturing process perfectly.

eg. a 1080 die may come out manufacturing with 100 cuda cores improperly working, so they just kill a certain amount of it and pass it on as a 1070. same story for intel's i5 and i7 (unsure about i3) and a few other things.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

should add to this that this is usually done because not every chip comes out the manufacturing process perfectly.

eg. a 1080 die may come out manufacturing with 100 cuda cores improperly working, so they just kill a certain amount of it and pass it on as a 1070. same story for intel's i5 and i7 (unsure about i3) and a few other things.

so when i buy a 1080 it might not have full specs? what would i do if it doesnt have full specs lol

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

so the 1070 is fine?

We don't know how it'll perform yet.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

From the looks of it will be around a 980 (which is good for my 690)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

so when i buy a 1080 it might not have full specs? what would i do if it doesnt have full specs lol

no, what i'm saying is that if the chip used in a 1080 comes out the process imperfect, they "cut off a piece" and use it in a 1070 instead.

it may be better to explain with something different like making wooden panels: there's a machine making 10 by 20 inch wooden panels all day, but every so often the wood has a knot in it making one of the boards unfit for use.

instead of chucking out the entire board they cut off 5 inches from the top and put it on the 10 by 15 inch stack, which they sell for cheaper.

2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

that'd follow the "never actually use this rule" nvidia rule where gen+1 & tier-1 roughly equal out.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that'd follow the "never actually use this rule" nvidia rule where gen+1 & tier-1 roughly equal out.

It actually works really well though..

friends 560 and other friends 740 performed exactly the same as my 650..

There of course exceptions with fermi to kepler 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If people think it will only have the performance of a 980, that's terrible.

980 Ti's are already going for $550-$600 new and the prices haven't even dropped yet, and they already had a way better price/perf ratio than the 980, as does the 970.

The 970 is as good as a 780 Ti if not slightly better.

As far as I'm concerned the 1070 is a failure if it's only as good as a 980, just wait for AMD in that case if you're not getting a 1080.

5 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Nah, just slightly slower than a 980 ti.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

It actually works really well though..

theres more variables than "hey it seems to line up in this benchmark" to consider tho.

like the 8GB vram will be huge for VR and/or the SLI fanboiiz.

Just now, manikyath said:

theres more variables than "hey it seems to line up in this benchmark" to consider tho.

like the 8GB vram will be huge for VR and/or the SLI fanboiiz.

Oh of course, but in general it works great.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Oh of course, but in general it works great.

its napkin math, its great to get a rough idea, but it wont give you the exact number of bricks needed for the great wall of china. (go look that one up, some dude in china went nuts on math back then...)