Windows 7 gets "Service Pack 2"

GoodBytes

Microsoft announces that they released a "Service Pack 2"-like update for Windows 7 users.

This updated is called: Convenience Rollup

Win7SP1-WU.png

The Convenience Rollup update features the mass sum of updates of the OS that was released after Service Pack 1 was out. It includes no additional features or fixes.

The goal for the update is to make Windows 7 users have an easier time re-installing their system.

You can get it here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574 (use IE, not Edge (if you are under Win10) or any other web browser)

It can also be in injected in Windows 7 SP1 image for easier install. Microsoft shares instructions to do so here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744559(v=ws.10).aspx

The update is completely optional.

We’re happy to announce today that we’re making available a new convenience rollup for Windows 7 SP1 that will help.  This convenience rollup package, available to download from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574, contains all the security and non-security fixes released since the release of Windows 7 SP1 that are suitable for general distribution, up through April 2016.  Install this one update, and then you only need new updates released after April 2016.

[...]

To apply this update, you must install the April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB3020369).  You can read more about the Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 here.

Source: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

yeah, and where does it say those annoying WQ10 upgrade pop ups won't happen or those other updates that get you machine ready for the next operating system? I had to go through updates last night and make sure the ones I chose to hide weren't there. and wouldn't you know it, they were. Microsoft keeps sticking them in for you. and where does it say, even though you have it disabled, that they won't turn on windows updates for you and try and sneak that W10 crap by you and catch you unawares? that's happened to me also. luckily I caught it before a restart.

I'll wait for somebody to do the update and come back with a report.

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

And how manny keyloggers and telemetry tracking crap have they baked into it?

Yeah, the only reasons why MS is still bother to release upgrade for Windows 7.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Yeah, the only reasons why MS is still bother to release upgrade for Windows 7.

Exactly. ;)

But does it include the bullshit nagging me to update to Windows 10?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

22 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

since its optional, it probs includes the ability to remove that bullshit once the free year period is over aha.

I'll just stick with installing important updates then.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

The same amount as Windows 7.

Still waiting on an SP3 for Vista, personally. At least with 7 it only takes a few hours to update (depending on network speed), but Vista takes so long from a fresh SP2 install, even with a fully updated Windows Update Agent.

I guess this is still nice for those who don't know how to speed up Windows 7 updates, though. It'll make things a tad bit easier for those who need to reinstall Windows 7, occasionally or frequently.

9 minutes ago, obsidian1200 said:

Still waiting on an SP3 for Vista, personally. At least with 7 it only takes a few hours to update (depending on network speed), but Vista takes so long from a fresh SP2 install, even with a fully updated Windows Update Agent.

I guess this is still nice for those who don't know how to speed up Windows 7 updates, though. It'll make things a tad bit easier for those who need to reinstall Windows 7, occasionally or frequently.

I did a Vista platform upgrade this year. Took me three tries ( phone calls ) to get to talk to somebody that gave me a proper set of numbers so I could call my legit operating system legit. Then it took me 3 or 4 days for the updates to arrive.... ( when left on auto update no less ).  You're complaining about hours...LOL. But Vista never ran better...... just like my XP pro I did earlier this year too............. but this one got the updates right away, from the update site. Wish Microsoft would just keep it easy.

5 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I did a Vista platform upgrade this year. Took me three tries ( phone calls ) to get to talk to somebody that gave me a proper set of numbers so I could call my legit operating system legit. Then it took me 3 or 4 days for the updates to arrive.... ( when left on auto update no less ).  You're complaining about hours...LOL. But Vista never ran better...... just like my XP pro I did earlier this year too............. but this one got the updates right away, from the update site. Wish Microsoft would just keep it easy.

I never said Vista only took hours to upgrade nor did I say Vista ever ran better, re-read the post. I only said 7 takes a few hours for updates, and it wasn't a complaint. I only said Vista takes a long time to update from a fresh SP2 installation. Again, there's a reason I want a 3rd service pack for vista. It's currently a pain to update.

vista is safe. you can leave auto updates on. they'll catch up eventually.

Will this fuck up my skyrim like the last update did? xD

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I am adding this to my download queue immediately tomorrow morning to put it in my IT tool box. I put together tons of Windows 7 builds for clients and this will significantly cut down on the time it takes for each build thanks to how many damn updates there are.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The same amount as Windows 7.

Before August 2015, that would be zero. After August 2015, that would be quite a few.

The script in my signature, ( https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/853510 ) removes all invasive telemetry and spying updates from Windows 7 and 8. I wonder if it will still work on Windows 7 SP2. If not, I wonder if there will be a similar script to address these types of things in W7 SP2.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

Seriously, there's no point to that SP

During the last year or so that XP was supported it wouldn't do windows updates properly, had to use third party tools (bitdefender pro did it) so while it may seem useless now, it may be very useful to someone later

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

5 hours ago, Sintezza said:

20, better go back to DOS and be safe.

actually scratch that, better get an an abacus. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

5 hours ago, Sintezza said:

I was about to ask the same thing.

Good thing it is optional.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

30 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Before August 2015, that would be zero. After August 2015, that would be quite a few.

The script in my signature, ( https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/853510 ) removes all invasive telemetry and spying updated from Windows 7 and 8. I wonder if it will still work on Windows 7 SP2. If not, I wonder if there will be a similar script to address these types of things in W7 SP2.

Incorrect. Windows 7 has telemetry data. Same for Vista, and XP.

Microsoft shared a few data that they collected from Windows 7 in Windows 8 building blog if you want another confirmation.

43 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Incorrect. Windows 7 has telemetry data. Same for Vista, and XP.

Microsoft shared a few data that they collected from Windows 7 in Windows 8 building blog if you want another confirmation.

I think you're referring to user-controlled forms, which are not equal to passive background telemetry.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987