Mega cluster, 10 gamers, 1 CPU

ADHDMI

So I was thinking, linus is building the 10 gamers 1 CPU thing,(or something to that effect). What if he were to cluster said VM's? I know how dumb and impractical this sounds, but in theory, is there anything wrong with clustering these VM's and utilizing the GPU's of all of them in order to simulate something? (or play crisis if thats what suits your fancy)

I suppose this could be usable if you are doing something like rendering where the interface speed is not as important as something like a game, with 3d acceleration.

Again it would be a step backwards in terms of overall performance, but it would be cool as hell.

Edited by ADHDMI
The title was a little misleading

First of all https://linustechtips.com/main/announcement/38-do-not-post-threads-about-graphics-cards-here/, second of all, you can impress everyone by doing that, but that would be really damn expensive

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

3 minutes ago, SPAS-ID said:

First of all https://linustechtips.com/main/announcement/38-do-not-post-threads-about-graphics-cards-here/, second of all, you can impress everyone by doing that, but that would be really damn expensive

It was less about the GPU's them selfs and more about if its possible or not it would be really interesting, and I would not think you would need much more hardware outside of the machine assuming linus is still building it. So I don't think cost would take a major jump.

Even if gaming could work with 10 GPUs, it would almost certainly be worse than using just one GPU. You want as little latency as possible (which is why GPUs have their own RAM), and having to communicate between 10 VMs is most likely going to cause massive stuttering. It may be good for something like distributed computing, though.

1 minute ago, Kavawuvi said:

Even if gaming could work with 10 GPUs, it would almost certainly be worse than using just one GPU. You want as little latency as possible, and having to communicate between VMs is most likely going to cause massive stuttering. It may be good for something like distributed computing, though.

I never really suggested gaming on this configuration, like I said it is very impractical .

I would want to see if it could be done, and if it would be of use to any thing or any body, apart from its cool.

6 minutes ago, ADHDMI said:

It was less about the GPU's them selfs and more about if its possible or not it would be really interesting, and I would not think you would need much more hardware outside of the machine assuming linus is still building it. So I don't think cost would take a major jump.

you can run octane render on 8 or even 12 gpus, someone tested 6 titan z's and 8 titan x's

1 minute ago, ADHDMI said:

I never really suggested gaming on this configuration, like I said it is very impractical .

I would want to see if it could be done, and if it would be of use to any thing or any body, apart from its cool.

Is there any benefit of using separate VMs for this? You're going to have to deal with the CPU and memory overhead of ten operating systems versus just one if you do this.

Just now, Kavawuvi said:

Is there any benefit of using separate VMs for this? You're going to have to deal with the CPU and memory overhead of ten operating systems versus just one if you do this.

nope, if you're running an application that benefits from all the hardware, just install 1 OS

1 minute ago, Kavawuvi said:

I doubt there would be any benefit at all, although the OS over head would be pretty low, assuming you did not try to do this with windows and used linux, because that just makes sense for this kind of thing.

Just now, ADHDMI said:

I doubt there would be any benefit at all, although the OS over head would be pretty low, assuming you did not try to do this with windows and used linux, because that just makes sense for this kind of thing.

there is 0 reason for it to perform better when the resources are seperated lol

1 minute ago, mikat said:

there is 0 reason for it to perform better when the resources are seperated lol

But it would be COOOOL.