Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What kind of hardware would I need?

So right now I'm live in a college hostel,which wifi service is provided,

But unfortunately,each of use only have a single account,which means when I logged in into my laptop,my phone or tablet will sign out automatically.

Currently my solution is to use my windows tablet to connect to that wifi signal,and broadcast a wifi hotspot of its own,that way every device can connect to it at the same time.

But the catch is that the tablet must be active at all time,which I don't want.

Is there any other solution?

like a wifi repeater device,but works in a different way.

I trying to find a device that connects to that wifi signal,and use that signal to broadcast its own ssid.

Will wifi repeater work that way too?

Portable Daily Driver - Acer Aspire E5-574G-540Z

Specs - i5-6200U,12gigs of ram,240GB SSD,1TB hard drive,920M,dual boot xubuntu 16.04 LTS and WIndows 10.

 

Main rig - Acer T3-600 with some upgrades

Spec - i5-3350P,12gigs of ram,1TB HDD,750 Ti,windows 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Edwan Kael said:

So right now I'm live in a college hostel,which wifi service is provided,

But unfortunately,each of use only have a single account,which means when I logged in into my laptop,my phone or tablet will sign out automatically.

Currently my solution is to use my windows tablet to connect to that wifi signal,and broadcast a wifi hotspot of its own,that way every device can connect to it at the same time.

But the catch is that the tablet must be active at all time,which I don't want.

Is there any other solution?

like a wifi repeater device,but works in a different way.

I trying to find a device that connects to that wifi signal,and use that signal to broadcast its own ssid.

Will wifi repeater work that way too?

A simple wifi repeater would work just fine. Provided the host modem/router doesn't sign you out every couple of hours and you have to reconfigure the repeater.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your room have an Ethernet port? You can plug a wireless router into that and broadcast your own WiFi. Just make sure you password protect it. If you don't have a Ethernet port available you could setup a mini-PC that runs off WiFi. Log it into the network. Share it's internet connection via the Ethernet port to a wireless router then connect to the routers WiFi. All your traffic will appear as if it's all from the mini-PC's so you won't require any multiple logins. It'd cost money though, at least the mini-pc could be very very cheap and any consumer router should suffice. I'd just recommend it has WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption. Most do so it shouldn't be a problem.

Guides & Tutorials:

Testing for RAM Errors w/ MemTest86

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

 

In the Queue:

 

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Manage My Cables said:

A simple wifi repeater would work just fine. Provided the host modem/router doesn't sign you out every couple of hours and you have to reconfigure the repeater.

Thanks,it won't sign me out so I think it'll be fine.

Portable Daily Driver - Acer Aspire E5-574G-540Z

Specs - i5-6200U,12gigs of ram,240GB SSD,1TB hard drive,920M,dual boot xubuntu 16.04 LTS and WIndows 10.

 

Main rig - Acer T3-600 with some upgrades

Spec - i5-3350P,12gigs of ram,1TB HDD,750 Ti,windows 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Does your room have an Ethernet port? You can plug a wireless router into that and broadcast your own WiFi. Just make sure you password protect it. If you don't have a Ethernet port available you could setup a mini-PC that runs off WiFi. Log it into the network. Share it's internet connection via the Ethernet port to a wireless router then connect to the routers WiFi. All your traffic will appear as if it's all from the mini-PC's so you won't require any multiple logins. It'd cost money though, at least the mini-pc could be very very cheap and any consumer router should suffice. I'd just recommend it has WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption. Most do so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nope,it only runs off wifi.

Well it does have one,but it's outside of the apartment.

Portable Daily Driver - Acer Aspire E5-574G-540Z

Specs - i5-6200U,12gigs of ram,240GB SSD,1TB hard drive,920M,dual boot xubuntu 16.04 LTS and WIndows 10.

 

Main rig - Acer T3-600 with some upgrades

Spec - i5-3350P,12gigs of ram,1TB HDD,750 Ti,windows 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Edwan Kael said:

Nope,it only runs off wifi.

Well it does have one,but it's outside of the apartment.

That's where the contingency plan comes in. Wireless Mini-PC>enable connection sharing>Ethernet cable>wireless router, use it as a proxy. You probably won't do it but that'd be my plan in your situation.

Guides & Tutorials:

Testing for RAM Errors w/ MemTest86

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

 

In the Queue:

 

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know how they're limiting the connections? Is it a HTTPS portal that you need to sign through?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Do you know how they're limiting the connections? Is it a HTTPS portal that you need to sign through?

Yup,and each of us have a single id and password to sign into.

That's why right now I'm using a windows tablet to connect to that wifi and logged in,and makes it a wifi hotspot so that other devices can use that connection at the same time.

Portable Daily Driver - Acer Aspire E5-574G-540Z

Specs - i5-6200U,12gigs of ram,240GB SSD,1TB hard drive,920M,dual boot xubuntu 16.04 LTS and WIndows 10.

 

Main rig - Acer T3-600 with some upgrades

Spec - i5-3350P,12gigs of ram,1TB HDD,750 Ti,windows 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Edwan Kael said:

Yup,and each of us have a single id and password to sign into.

That's why right now I'm using a windows tablet to connect to that wifi and logged in,and makes it a wifi hotspot so that other devices can use that connection at the same time.

If it's a web portal then a repeater won't work since it can't sign into the hotspot itself. You'll need a device that can be online and signed in at all times to then relay the signal as a hotspot.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If it's a web portal then a repeater won't work since it can't sign into the hotspot itself. You'll need a device that can be online and signed in at all times to then relay the signal as a hotspot.

Agreed.

 

HTTP proxy perhaps?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×