What kind of hardware would I need?

Edwan Kael

So right now I'm live in a college hostel,which wifi service is provided,

But unfortunately,each of use only have a single account,which means when I logged in into my laptop,my phone or tablet will sign out automatically.

Currently my solution is to use my windows tablet to connect to that wifi signal,and broadcast a wifi hotspot of its own,that way every device can connect to it at the same time.

But the catch is that the tablet must be active at all time,which I don't want.

Is there any other solution?

like a wifi repeater device,but works in a different way.

I trying to find a device that connects to that wifi signal,and use that signal to broadcast its own ssid.

Will wifi repeater work that way too?

Portable Daily Driver - Acer Aspire E5-574G-540Z

Specs - i5-6200U,12gigs of ram,240GB SSD,1TB hard drive,920M,dual boot xubuntu 16.04 LTS and WIndows 10.

Main rig - Acer T3-600 with some upgrades

Spec - i5-3350P,12gigs of ram,1TB HDD,750 Ti,windows 10.

14 minutes ago, Edwan Kael said:

So right now I'm live in a college hostel,which wifi service is provided,

But unfortunately,each of use only have a single account,which means when I logged in into my laptop,my phone or tablet will sign out automatically.

Currently my solution is to use my windows tablet to connect to that wifi signal,and broadcast a wifi hotspot of its own,that way every device can connect to it at the same time.

But the catch is that the tablet must be active at all time,which I don't want.

Is there any other solution?

like a wifi repeater device,but works in a different way.

I trying to find a device that connects to that wifi signal,and use that signal to broadcast its own ssid.

Will wifi repeater work that way too?

A simple wifi repeater would work just fine. Provided the host modem/router doesn't sign you out every couple of hours and you have to reconfigure the repeater.

Does your room have an Ethernet port? You can plug a wireless router into that and broadcast your own WiFi. Just make sure you password protect it. If you don't have a Ethernet port available you could setup a mini-PC that runs off WiFi. Log it into the network. Share it's internet connection via the Ethernet port to a wireless router then connect to the routers WiFi. All your traffic will appear as if it's all from the mini-PC's so you won't require any multiple logins. It'd cost money though, at least the mini-pc could be very very cheap and any consumer router should suffice. I'd just recommend it has WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption. Most do so it shouldn't be a problem.

47 minutes ago, Manage My Cables said:

A simple wifi repeater would work just fine. Provided the host modem/router doesn't sign you out every couple of hours and you have to reconfigure the repeater.

Thanks,it won't sign me out so I think it'll be fine.

Specs - i5-6200U,12gigs of ram,240GB SSD,1TB hard drive,920M,dual boot xubuntu 16.04 LTS and WIndows 10.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Does your room have an Ethernet port? You can plug a wireless router into that and broadcast your own WiFi. Just make sure you password protect it. If you don't have a Ethernet port available you could setup a mini-PC that runs off WiFi. Log it into the network. Share it's internet connection via the Ethernet port to a wireless router then connect to the routers WiFi. All your traffic will appear as if it's all from the mini-PC's so you won't require any multiple logins. It'd cost money though, at least the mini-pc could be very very cheap and any consumer router should suffice. I'd just recommend it has WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption. Most do so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nope,it only runs off wifi.

Well it does have one,but it's outside of the apartment.

4 minutes ago, Edwan Kael said:

Nope,it only runs off wifi.

Well it does have one,but it's outside of the apartment.

That's where the contingency plan comes in. Wireless Mini-PC>enable connection sharing>Ethernet cable>wireless router, use it as a proxy. You probably won't do it but that'd be my plan in your situation.

Do you know how they're limiting the connections? Is it a HTTPS portal that you need to sign through?

18 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Do you know how they're limiting the connections? Is it a HTTPS portal that you need to sign through?

Yup,and each of us have a single id and password to sign into.

That's why right now I'm using a windows tablet to connect to that wifi and logged in,and makes it a wifi hotspot so that other devices can use that connection at the same time.

3 hours ago, Edwan Kael said:

Yup,and each of us have a single id and password to sign into.

That's why right now I'm using a windows tablet to connect to that wifi and logged in,and makes it a wifi hotspot so that other devices can use that connection at the same time.

If it's a web portal then a repeater won't work since it can't sign into the hotspot itself. You'll need a device that can be online and signed in at all times to then relay the signal as a hotspot.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If it's a web portal then a repeater won't work since it can't sign into the hotspot itself. You'll need a device that can be online and signed in at all times to then relay the signal as a hotspot.

Agreed.

HTTP proxy perhaps?