Best Resolution for movies? 21:9 ? 16:9 ?....

keavlar

Hey guys, with all new GPU's coming out, i am also about to get new monitor. 

I want to buy a monitor bigger then 27 inch , still didn't check how i will feel with it, but i want to use it for gaming and movies. 

I don't really care about 144 hz..  75 is enough . But i do care how it will looks in resolution .  

So what will be best resolution for movies ? 16:9? 21:9  from there what monitor to take, i wanna use the max resolution with out change it when watching movies. 

I have currently in mind Samsung s32D850T 32 led PLS  

AND 

Samsung s29e790c curved 29 inch  Led VA

Also what should i get LED or IPS display?

What will you say Brothers?

THX 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Bear in mind that the aspect ratio is not the actual resolution. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Wouldn't a 27" monitor be 16:9 ? (if we are talking about aspect ratio)

I'm afraid to swear now because the overlords might hurt me. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Bear in mind that the aspect ratio is not the actual resolution. 

Just now, Captain_France said:

Wouldn't a 27" monitor be 16:9 ? (if we are talking about aspect ratio)

Ye sorry , forgot how it calls, the aspect is what important for me. 

I want to watch movie in normal aspect, comfortable. 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Just now, keavlar said:

Ye sorry , forgot how it calls, the aspect is what important for me. 

I want to watch movie in normal aspect, comfortable. 

Well from what I understand (Just keep in mind im some random guy on the internet) 

16:9 is the easiest to work with. All games support it and movies will fill up the hole screen.

Feel free to correct. 

most movies are filmed in a 21:9 aspect ratio (aka "ultrawide monitors") so if you get a monitor with a 21:9 ratio the movie will fill up the entire screen, without the black bars you usually get with a 16:9 display.

7 minutes ago, Captain_France said:

16:9 is the easiest to work with. All games support it and movies will fill up the hole screen.

it is the most common aspect ratio but I wouldn't really say it's the easiest to work with. Remember that an ultrawide display gives you more horizontal pixels, meaning you have more left - right room to work with. And 99% of today's games support 21:9 without black bars. And 16:9 monitors give you black bars because most films are shot in 21:9, not all but most.

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

3 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

most movies are filmed in a 21:9 aspect ratio (aka "ultrawide monitors") so if you get a monitor with a 21:9 ratio the movie will fill up the entire screen, without the black bars you usually get with a 16:9 display.

it is the most common aspect ratio but I wouldn't really say it's the easiest to work with. Remember that an ultrawide display gives you more horizontal pixels, meaning you have more left - right room to work with. And 99% of today's games support 21:9 without black bars. And 16:9 monitors give you black bars because most films are shot in 21:9, not all but most.

Except the blurays won't be that resolution when watching movies.

3 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

After I used the google I agree.

But for some reason services like Netflix and hulu use 16:9 

5 minutes ago, Captain_France said:

Isn't most of Netflix 1920x1080 while it does have a few titles which are 4K?

8 minutes ago, Captain_France said:

Because they crop or just edit the films for better compatibility, but originally, films are filmed in 21:9 mostly

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

3 minutes ago, RZeroX said:

Isn't most of Netflix 1920x1080 while it does have a few titles which are 4K?

I know I pay for the "Ultra quality" version but I honestly have no idea what resolution it streams at. Maybe just native?

28 minutes ago, keavlar said:

it depends from where you get your movies. netflix and google play for example put black bars on 16:9 content so on a 21:9 you get black bars on all sides (driving me crazy). but if you have blu-rays or pirated stuff (we dont support this kind of stuff here on the forum) your fine with a 21:9.

for gaming 21:9 is brilliant. i own a 29" myself and i love it. there is a freesync 40-75hz ips out there: LG 29UM68-P

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, IMPERIUS said:

Because they crop or just edit the films for better compatibility, but originally, films are filmed in 21:9 mostly

Well I guess that makes sense, as we are slowly moving it that direction in gaming. 

SOON DOTA WILL BE ABLE TO BE PLAYED IN 21:9 *evil giggle*