Doom (4?) performance on Radeon and GeForce

source: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Benchmark-Test-1195242/

I will skip the quotes, since .. german, and jump directly into the benchmarks:

1080p:

Spoiler

8jeI23S.png

1440p:

Spoiler

wJJ8t72.png

UHD:

Spoiler

of48qtN.png

something to note: on AMD's hardware, Doom uses the OpenGL 4.3 API / and for nVidia's GTXs, OpenGL 4.5

14124226400l.bmp14124226214l.bmp

if you recall one ValvE's developer rant about OpenGL state http://richg42.blogspot.ro/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html specifically about AMD:

A complete hodgepodge, inconsistent performance, very buggy, inconsistent regression testing, dysfunctional driver threading that is completely outside of the dev's official control. Unfortunately this vendor's GPU is pretty much standard and is quite capable hardware wise, so you can't ignore these guys even though as an organization they are idiots with software. Basic stuff like glTexStorage() crashes (on a shipped title) for months on end with this driver. B's driver devs try to follow the spec more closely than Vendor A, but in the end this tends to do them no good because most devs just use Vendor A's driver for development and when things don't work on Vendor B they blame the vendor, not the state of GL itself.

Vendor B driver's key extensions just don't work. They are play or paper extensions, put in there to pad resumes and show progress to managers. Major GL developers never use these extensions because they don't work. But they sound good on paper and show progress.

Vendor B's extensions are a perfect demonstration of why GL extensions suck in practice.

This vendor can't get key stuff like queries or syncs to work reliably. So any extension that relies on syncs for CPU/GPU synchronization aren't workable. The driver devs remaining at this vendor pine to work at Vendor A.

are AMD's OpenGL drivers so bad? if history taught us something, yes they are - this might be the reasoning behind id's decision to use an older OpenGL version to run on Radeons

things will (most likely) take a different turn when Vulkan support will be added to Doom

Edited by zMeul

It'd be Doom 4 if anything. But it's just Doom.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Leave it to @zMeulto let his eyes only let him see what he wants to see. Did you also notice that the 380x is also faster than a 780 and 390? Of course you didn't. That wouldn't help your narrative that the problem is only on AMD's side or that the issue affects all AMD cards the same way. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Leave it to @zMeulto let his eyes only let him see what he wants to see. Did you also notice that the 380x is also faster than a 780 and 390? Of course you didn't. That wouldn't help your narrative that the problem is only on AMD's side or that the issue affects all AMD cards the same way. 

OpenGL are atrocious for gaming anyway.

So Nvidia is simply best of the worst.

2 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

My question is why Doom uses openGL in the first place.

id has always used OpenGL for all (??!) their titles, that's what they know and that's what they'll use - they'll jump to Vulkan most likely, for their next project ... hopefully

If Vulkan is coming, why did they even bother with openGL, it's supported on as many platforms I think.

2 hours ago, ONOTech said:

To be fair, it's an outlier. I don't think this was a negative post from Zmeul. Everything he said he is right: openGL sucks on AMD hardware and the Radeon cards are getting handedly beat.

My question is why Doom uses openGL in the first place.

Because the publisher is BETHESDA.

BRACE FOR IMPACT. FATAL BUGS AHEAD!

Edited by Godlygamer23
Reduced font size.

1 minute ago, Megahurt said:

If Vulkan is coming, why did they even bother with openGL, it's supported on as many platforms I think.

my guess: when they started work on the game, Vulkan wasn't even a thing

Well Crimson 16.5.2 is in beta so I guess few more days for AMD to pick up the pace (sadly). Glad to see my 280 will do more than fine. 

Also they say at least a 5GB card for ultra? Wasn't expecting that.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

To be fair, it's an outlier. I don't think this was a negative post from Zmeul. Everything he said he is right: openGL sucks on AMD hardware and the Radeon cards are getting handedly beat. It could be that the 380X handled the drivers better than the 2XX and 390(X), but that's a pretty big assumption.

My question is why Doom uses openGL in the first place. DX is better in almost every way other than it's lack of cross-platform capabilities. 

22 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are AMD's OpenGL drivers so bad? if history taught us something, yes they are - this might be the reasoning behind id's decision to use an older OpenGL version to run on Radeons

things will (most likely) take a different turn when Vulkan support will be added to Doom

Anyone notice the 960 beating the 780. WTF?

I don't think it's just AMD has bad drivers, for some reason the NVidia 900 series is doing extremely well, even compared to the 700 series. If you look at 700 series vs AMD it looks pretty reasonable.

1 minute ago, bobhays said:

Anyone notice the 960 beating the 780. WTF?

like in 380(X) case, I guess it has to do with color compression - functions that were not present in older HW

#superjetstreamFTW

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Not a huge surprise. OpenGL is one obsolete redundant clusterfrack of an API.

The results are also all over the place. Vulkan is the only thing useful outside of DirectX. And since IDS hates DX, because they like to cater to the 5 people gaming on Apple, and the 50 people typing into the Linux console to make a driver work to start the intro screen on a game before their computer catches on fire; they better include the Vulkan version soon. What a joke. A AAA title using OpenGL.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

like in 380(X) case, I guess it has to do with color compression - functions that were not present in older HW

a 960 beating a 290X because of color compression? I think not, I think it's because their drivers are in beta (as almost always).

Just now, Bouzoo said:

a 960 beating a 290X because of color compression? I think not, I think it's their drivers are in beta (as almost always).

It beat a 780, this isn't a problem with AMD, it's that for some reason the 900 series is doing really well.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

a 960 beating a 290X because of color compression? I think not, I think it's their drivers are in beta (as almost always).

it makes a lot of sense since 380X has similar optimization techniques than the older generation

9 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Vulkan would be pretty cool

what's strange, they didn't make the game to run in Linux :S

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

a 960 beating a 290X because of color compression? I think not, I think it's because their drivers are in beta (as almost always).

AMD beta drivers are as good as their WHQL drivers.

AMD just doesnt want to pay microsoft money so that microsoft can give them the WHQL stamp.

42$ CAD for a key on G2A ATM...i bought it...TheCinicalBrit said the campaign so far is a lot of fun as well.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

41 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Are AMD's OpenGL drivers so bad? if history taught us something, yes they are - this might be the reasoning behind id's decision to use an older OpenGL version to run on Radeons

They are very. I'm actually using a ps2 emulator and running it on opengl is impossible on amd cards. Broken plugins , many graphic glitches and so on.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Nvidia gimped the Kepler cards with drivers to make maxwell look good...And this is another proof.

17 minutes ago, Prysin said:

AMD beta drivers are as good as their WHQL drivers.

AMD just doesnt want to pay microsoft money so that microsoft can give them the WHQL stamp.

They are not always, talking from experience. Very rarely but I do hope this is one of those times. And if we have learned something it's that they will surely release a drivers that will boost their performance quite a bit. Happens every time.

Personally I'm hoping for a hotfix drivers, for some reason they have been giving best performance to me for the last 10 years. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

They are not always, talking from experience. Very rarely but I do hope this is one of those times. And if we have learned something it's that they will surely release a drivers that will boost their performance quite a bit. Happens every time.

Personally I'm hoping for a hotfix drivers, for some reason they have been giving best performance to me for the last 10 years. 

been using AMD for 4 years straight. I think their beta drivers has fucked up for me 4-5 times in 4 years

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

been using AMD for 4 years straight. I think their beta drivers has fucked up for me 4-5 times in 4 years

Been on them since 9600 Pro with some NV switches here and then. xD But I can't remember when was the last time they bugged me really bad. Minor things here and then.