Is it possible to build a PC that can survive 120*?

Gerr

I live it Phoenix, AZ and during the summer, my non-AC garage can hit 120* or higher on really hot days.  I was wondering if it was possible to build a 24/7 PC that could operate at those temps?

Please keep the discussion on if this is possible and not why I want this and/or other options for PC locations.

Thanks!

What kind of components are we talking about and how much airflow? I mean 50C is on the warm side but with enough airflow and some low TDP components it's possible they could survive.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I live it Phoenix, AZ and during the summer, my non-AC garage can hit 120* or higher on really hot days.  I was wondering if it was possible to build a 24/7 PC that could operate at those temps?

Please keep the discussion on if this is possible and not why I want this and/or other options for PC locations.

Thanks!

120 Fahrenheit shouldn't be any problem if the computer isn't under heavy load. If it is under heavy load, I wouldn't suggest it unless you have relatively low-power parts with nice big heatsinks.

whats that in C

farenheit doesnt mean anything to the rest of the world

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

More importantly, how are you planning to survive in those heat conditions? If you can't use your computer in those temps then why bother :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

It would be a low TDP NVR.

I could put as much airflow on it as I need as being in the garage, sound isn't an issue.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

whats that in C

48.8C.

I'm American but pretty much refuse to use the imperial system when I can. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

whats that in C

Google is pretty cool. (works for measurement in general)863c7b481500c3fa061b288d158596c9.png

Edit: Talk about being ninja'ed.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, Gerr said:

It would be a low TDP NVR.

I could put as much airflow on it as I need as being in the garage, sound isn't an issue.

Fair enough then :P get some decent airflow and use nice n large heatsinks onto the low TDP components and you should be good :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

48.8C.

I'm American but pretty much refuse to use the imperial system when I can. 

pretty much any PC can survive that

most peoples cases are like 40C inside

components are usually rated for 60-105C

as long as you have good airflow it will be ok

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Google is pretty cool. (works for measurement in general)

Edit: Talk about being ninja'ed.

imo anyone who uses the imperial system deserves to be inconvenienced to look up what a temperature is in C

Spoiler

my pc is always running at 150f under load but its not that hot here and i have it liquid cooled 

i dont see why not

just that your load temps will be much higher than others

and you'll wanna watercool your gpu too as they tend to reach about 50c above ambient temp with default coolers

your cpu might be just fine with air cooler, depending on what chip you're running and what cooler you're using

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

imo anyone who uses the imperial system deserves to be inconvenienced to look up what a temperature is in C

nah the conversion is super easy to do 

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

pretty much any PC can survive that

most peoples cases are like 40C inside

components are usually rated for 60-105C

as long as you have good airflow it will be ok

Most components can handle up to 120C these days.

Just now, AdamIsaacLang said:

Most components can handle up to 120C these days.

stuff like the chips on a motherboard or SSD nand cant

its just plastic, and probably not high temp plastic

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

nah the conversion is super easy to do 

better him than me at least

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

whats that in C

As a former resident of that city myself, I can tell you that 120F converted is roughly microwave oven degrees Celsius. In Zonie terms, it's referred to as, "a lovely winter's day."

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

stuff like the chips on a motherboard or SSD nand cant

its just plastic, and probably not high temp plastic

True. Though things like the CPU socket can as it's BGA and has to be soldered via reflow. Same for all the SMD components too. 

Sort of ironic; the Intel socket is LGA on top and BGA on the bottom.

I am aiming for a low TDP Intel quad-core CPU.

Being an NVR, it will be remote accessed only.  It will also always have some load on the CPU, but will try to keep that as low as possible by getting a quad-core CPU.

It won't have a dedicated GPU.  But it will have a couple drives.  Probably an SSD as the boot drive and a WD Purple as the storage drive.  I want to make sure those can survive too.

If that's Celsius, most computers would be fine, however this is the time where water cooling would be best as it blows the heat directly out of the case, instead of heating up everything else.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Enderman said:

Why, so? I mean I agree it's dumb that we don't use a global standard of measurement. 

SI units are much nicer to work with than US units but because there are few applications of SI units in US schools (mostly science classes) it's a bit odd to use. Otherwise it's a nice system. 

0c is the freezing point of water, 100c is the boiling point of water. 100mm is 1cm, 100cm is 1m, 1000m is 1km, etc.

Where as the US system goes like 32F is the freezing point of water, 212F is the boiling point of water. 12 inches is 1 foot, 3 feet is 1 yard, 1 mile is 5280 Feet or 1760 yards... Smaller units than inches is broken into fractions of an inch. So yeah I agree, our system is stupidly over complicated, but that's what makes America a Special Snow flake right?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, Sam Z Man said:

I could see a PC surviving that, but how the heck are you planning to cope with that kind of temps.

Heat stroke anyone?

Have you ever been to Arizona? People there self-immolate to stay warm if the temperature drops below 35C.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.