Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paintball marker upgrade advice.

Hi there so currently I own a Smart Parts Ion marker. I would like to upgrade my marker. Budget is around whatever. What marker should I upgrade to, I plan on playing semi-competitive speed ball games and want to eventually enter the professional scene. I have no idea about which brands are better than the other. I've heard that Planet Eclipse, Empire, and Dye make really good markers.

Case: Fractal Define R6 USB-C Tempered Glass CPU: i7 5930K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified RAM: 48GB DDR4 2666MHz G.Skill GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum Drives: 500GB SSD (2x), 960GB SSD, 120GB SSD, 2TB (2x) HDD, 4TB HDD, & 500GB HDD Displays: Acer Predator 27" XB271HU 165Hz G-Sync (1440p) & 2x Dell P2715Q 27" (2160p) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dye makes some of the best, but one of those costs more than a Titan x. 

ASU

Link to post
Share on other sites

They all have their own personalities. Never really used any of the higher end ones. I have and empire axe as my "expensive" marker. Go to a store and see how some feel in your hands. Ask someone at a field if you can shoot one. 

One thing to keep in mind is if you do end up joining a speedball team (semi-pro and up maybe even just competitive teams) you will probably be buying an entire setup again because of sponsors. 

Blarg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like a PC, it depends completely on your budget. As far as the ion goes, parts are now scarce for the gun as it is a platform that has not been used since the late 2000's. They were ground breaking when they came out as no gun offered what the ion could at the price point.

 

I would recommend Planet Eclipse at any price point they have an offering. Their products are usually the toughest and easiest to use. PE's customer service is held in high regard as well.

 

I have a CS1 from Eclipse right now and it's beastly, but expensive. Have owned pretty much everything under the sun in the past.

 

18 hours ago, Charger said:

I have been out of paintball for far too long to give any recommendations but are autocockers still the top end?

 

@wolfgang may be of some help here

As far as Autocockers go, They're more of a novelty these days. I own a Kapp Classic that I built myself but is not practical for tournament use. 

 

My qualifications in paintball: 10 years national tournament experience in the PSP and NPPL (including professional and semi-pro)

5 years referee, tech, and retail all bundled together

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Just like a PC, it depends completely on your budget. As far as the ion goes, parts are now scarce for the gun as it is a platform that has not been used since the late 2000's. They were ground breaking when they came out as no gun offered what the ion could at the price point.

 

I would recommend Planet Eclipse at any price point they have an offering. Their products are usually the toughest and easiest to use. PE's customer service is held in high regard as well.

 

I have a CS1 from Eclipse right now and it's beastly, but expensive. Have owned pretty much everything under the sun in the past.

 

As far as Autocockers go, They're more of a novelty these days. I own a Kapp Classic that I built myself but is not practical for tournament use. 

 

My qualifications in paintball: 10 years national tournament experience in the PSP and NPPL (including professional and semi-pro)

5 years referee, tech, and retail all bundled together

i used to just play for fun with a cheap spyder or cones but all i remember as being good were angels and autocokers and the ion I think came out after I stopped playing. I always wanted to make an autococker though.

 

so if autocockers are now novelties are angels still a thing? (continues random old paintball marker thought processes) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2016 at 4:57 PM, Charger said:

i used to just play for fun with a cheap spyder or cones but all i remember as being good were angels and autocokers and the ion I think came out after I stopped playing. I always wanted to make an autococker though.

 

so if autocockers are now novelties are angels still a thing? (continues random old paintball marker thought processes) 

WDP (The creastors of Angel) went out of business 5-6 years ago. 

The big players in the market now are Eclipse, Dye (who purchased the Matrix patents in 2003ish and kept improving on the design), Macdev, Empire, Bob Long and a few others I'm forgetting to mention.

 

Cockers have fallen into novelty pieces as they are notoriously tough to work on for the common user, and can be rather finicky. When you get them shooting well, they are amazing though. 

 

Here it is in all it's glory

j58nbl.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

WDP (The creastors of Angel) went out of business 5-6 years ago. 

The big players in the market now are Eclipse, Dye (who purchased the Matrix patents in 2003ish and kept improving on the design), Macdev, Empire, Bob Long and a few others I'm forgetting to mention.

 

Cockers have fallen into novelty pieces as they are notoriously tough to work on for the common user, and can be rather finicky. When you get them shooting well, they are amazing though. 

 

Here it is in all it's glory

j58nbl.jpg

I have always wanted an auto cocker and have even wanted to make my own for the hell of it but then I remember that it's been more than 10 years since I played last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charger said:

I have always wanted an auto cocker and have even wanted to make my own for the hell of it but then I remember that it's been more than 10 years since I played last.

I would start with something simpler. Eclipse's e-tek and g-tek lines are good, as well as empire's axe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrianS said:

I would start with something simpler. Eclipse's e-tek and g-tek lines are good, as well as empire's axe.

Who needs simpler... And when I say make my own I mean make the parts for it as just a fun machining project or build it off of an old spyder body. More of a just for fun project than anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Charger said:

Who needs simpler... And when I say make my own I mean make the parts for it as just a fun machining project or build it off of an old spyder body. More of a just for fun project than anything else.

You can fit parts from old Intimidators (Timmys) to Spyder bodies. They're called Spimmys LOL. The first Timmy Bob Long made was from a Spyder body.

 

I would be careful with machining parts they are meant to be pressurized unless you have vast knowledge of pneumatic parts. You can literally make a bomb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BrianS said:

You can fit parts from old Intimidators (Timmys) to Spyder bodies. They're called Spimmys LOL. The first Timmy Bob Long made was from a Spyder body.

 

I would be careful with machining parts they are meant to be pressurized unless you have vast knowledge of pneumatic parts. You can literally make a bomb.

i have enough knowledge to make things thicker than really needed to make up for my lack of knowledge or i could probably draw it up in cad and let some stress test stuff run assuming i could find something for pressure 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dye or Planet Eclipse. You can't go wrong with either. I had a dm6 and SL66, never let me down once. I haven't played speedball since 2007 though (I'm sure the quality is still there). I played in many leagues throughout the lower mainland in BC so I know what I'm talking about. Div 1 BCPPL and CXBL.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-05-12 at 1:28 PM, Abyssal Radon said:

Hi there so currently I own a Smart Parts Ion marker. I would like to upgrade my marker. Budget is around whatever. What marker should I upgrade to, I plan on playing semi-competitive speed ball games and want to eventually enter the professional scene. I have no idea about which brands are better than the other. I've heard that Planet Eclipse, Empire, and Dye make really good markers.

I should've also mentioned, you could always hit up pbnation and snag a deal on last years models. Just make sure the seller has good feedback.

 

@Charger Autocockers aren't top end if you're playing speedball. For bushball, they're decent but I would probably purchase a tippman if i was strictly doing scenarios only. Honestly, I never understood the allure with autocockers. It's probably because I'm not "old school".

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@eLucid - Truthfully, cockers shoot smoother than most guns out. It's pretty cool to be able to create something truly custom. Guns are missing that element these days. 

 

 Also, your first shot actually gets out of the gun faster as the bolt is already in the forward position before the trigger is pulled (closed bolt). The first thing that happens during the firing timing, the paintball is sent down the barrel, then the gun is re-cocked. In a normal open bolt marker, the bolt has to move forward before the paintball is propelled out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eLucid said:

I should've also mentioned, you could always hit up pbnation and snag a deal on last years models. Just make sure the seller has good feedback.

 

@Charger Autocockers aren't top end if you're playing speedball. For bushball, they're decent but I would probably purchase a tippman if i was strictly doing scenarios only. Honestly, I never understood the allure with autocockers. It's probably because I'm not "old school".

I never liked pbn i was always a member of the paintballforum but it went to shit and I left that.

 

well back when I was interested in paintball auto cockers and angles were the top of the line that everyone wanted to own but that was back in the early 2000s

46 minutes ago, BrianS said:

@eLucid - Truthfully, cockers shoot smoother than most guns out. It's pretty cool to be able to create something truly custom. Guns are missing that element these days. 

 

 Also, your first shot actually gets out of the gun faster as the bolt is already in the forward position before the trigger is pulled (closed bolt). The first thing that happens during the firing timing, the paintball is sent down the barrel, then the gun is re-cocked. In a normal open bolt marker, the bolt has to move forward before the paintball is propelled out.

ya I always liked that it was a closed bolt system which is not something that is done that much in other markers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×