GTX 1070 or i7 4790K

Go to solution Solved by Marine8907,

If you plan on gaming on a larger resolution then go with the new GPU when it comes to the market. Otherwise, go with the 4790K. You will not go wrong with that CPU. And just saying, anyone who plays at 1080p with a 9xx GPU or later, you are screwing yourself out of your money. Those GPUs run better at 1440p or higher compared to other cards and can easily handle the higher resolutions. Why not go for it since panels are relatively cheap now for 1440p and 4K UHD.

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my computer in june/july and i thought if i should upgrade my GTX 960 to GTX 1070 or my i5 4460 to i7 4790K. I mostly play games like The Witcher 3 and other AAA-Games on 1920x1080 Resolution. I also thought that would i5 4460 bottleneck GTX 1070. This is my computer and setup atm: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/markoBiceps/saved/4rmcCJ

1 minute ago, markoBiceps said:

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my computer in june/july and i thought if i should upgrade my GTX 960 to GTX 1070 or my i5 4460 to i7 4790K. I mostly play games like The Witcher 3 and other AAA-Games on 1920x1080 Resolution. I also thought that would i5 4460 bottleneck GTX 1070. This is my computer and setup atm: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/markoBiceps/saved/4rmcCJ

Welcome to the Forum!

If you're mainly going to be gaming, upgrade the GPU.

Sig under construction.

How about we wait until benchmarks for the 1070/1080 are released? That sounds like a good idea. :) 

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

1 minute ago, VeeTeePee said:

How about we wait until benchmarks for the 1070/1080 are released? That sounds like a good idea. :) 

You could be right.

1 minute ago, VeeTeePee said:

I think we're mostly confident that they're pretty awesome already.

Sig under construction.

I would jump on a 1070. That would be a large improvment. but for cpu for gaming i would wait tell you could get a whole new board and ram to get the 6600k. 

2 minutes ago, Tedster said:

I think we're mostly confident that they're pretty awesome already.

It would still be silly not to wait for Polaris to be announced to see what it is. (especially if one already has a working setup)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

definitely wait for the benchmarks of both pascal and Polaris. then i would choose the best gpu because you are mainly going to be gaming

The i5, even a 4460 is a great chip.
IMO upgrading your gpu will benefit you more than the cpu.
But, as stated, we really need to see true benchmarks of the 10xx cards.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

And what do u guys think of my PSU? Could it handle GTX 1070 with all that other crap i have in my pc?

the cpu will probably not even bottleneck a 1080 in games, so definetly go for the gpu upgrade. BUT first of all you might want to wait for the benchmarks even if the cards seem good and secondly if you're playing in 1080p the 960 is already very good, so think, are you really ready to spend hundreds of dollars for a very small gain (unless you get a much better monitor).

Get the 1070, you don't really need benchmarks to know that it will be much better than the 960. The 4460 will be good for some time, I wouldn't worry about a bottleneck. Also remember that with the newer cards there is less and less of a CPU bottleneck. Of course this depends on the type of game but for the most part you should be good.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

51 minutes ago, DarkRuskov said:

the cpu will probably not even bottleneck a 1080 in games, so definetly go for the gpu upgrade. BUT first of all you might want to wait for the benchmarks even if the cards seem good and secondly if you're playing in 1080p the 960 is already very good, so think, are you really ready to spend hundreds of dollars for a very small gain (unless you get a much better monitor).

I am actually planning on getting 1440p monitor or atleast higher than 1080p.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:36 PM, markoBiceps said:

I am actually planning on getting 1440p monitor or atleast higher than 1080p.

I would suggest that you get the monitor first or at the same time.

If you plan on gaming on a larger resolution then go with the new GPU when it comes to the market. Otherwise, go with the 4790K. You will not go wrong with that CPU. And just saying, anyone who plays at 1080p with a 9xx GPU or later, you are screwing yourself out of your money. Those GPUs run better at 1440p or higher compared to other cards and can easily handle the higher resolutions. Why not go for it since panels are relatively cheap now for 1440p and 4K UHD.