Z97, X99, or Z170 for Workstation

I am going to be building a workstation this fall and I haven't decided if I want to go with Z97(4790K), X99(5930K), or Z170(6700K) for the CPU. I plan on using this workstation for primarily gaming but I also will be doing work in Visual Studio and other IDEs, light-moderate video editing and I want to be able to multitask out the ass. I initially was thinking X99 because of the shear power in those chips but would I be okay with Z97 or Z170 for what I want to do?

I would also like to dabble in overclocking on both the CPU and GPU. Does anyone have experience overclocking on these chips?

Edit: I made a few mistakes in regards to the chipsets used by the 4790K and 6700K; I haven't done as much research on the two platforms like I have for X99. The errors are corrected now and the post should be a little more clear.

wtf is x179?

do you mean Z170? because thats what the 6700k works on...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would go with X99 for what you want to do.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

10 minutes ago, Quantum1 said:

I am going to be building a workstation this fall and I haven't decided if I want to go with X79(4790K), X99(5930K), or X179(6700K) for the CPU. I plan on using this workstation for primarily gaming but I also will be doing work in Visual Studio and other IDEs, light-moderate video editing and I want to be able to multitask out the ass. I initially was thinking X99 because of the shear power in those chips but would I be okay with X79 or X179 for what I want to do?

I would also like to dabble in overclocking on both the CPU and GPU. Does anyone have experience overclocking on these chips?

You have your chipsets confused. The 4790K uses the Z97/H97 chipsets, and the 6700K uses the Z170/H170 chipsets. There is no X179 chipset.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

wtf is x179?

do you mean Z170? because thats what the 6700k works on...

Yeah, I goofed my bad

X79 should be out of the question already. You can barely find HW for it not let alone in just a few years.