First build amd in an air 240-updated 5/22/2016

bdub109

So this was my first build. I really enjoyed it and want to do another with much higher end components and all water cooled next. Saving money for it now.  I also have a cable mod rgb led kit and added two led corsair fans to the front. I used the stock fans with those to do a push pull configuration in the front and one exhaust in the top. I have two more corsair fans left so I could add another to the top to have two exhausts but I ran out of fan headers and already running one straight from the power supply with a converter. I would like suggestions on fan configurations and a controller or option to control them. I also want to add sleeve extensions in white and white Sata cables to clean everything up. Only other upgrades I may do to this build would be a better amd processor, a fully modular psu, and maybe a better gpu but this was a more budget minded build. Do you think a second r7 370 would work in there? Please any suggestions on how to improve or make it look better. Also I'm using two 24inch 1080p led monitors for now.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4cL9jX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4cL9jX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.95 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($102.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($51.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.50 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($117.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 370 4GB Video Card  ($149.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear A6210-100PAS 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($54.22 @ Amazon) 
Total: $842.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 19:28 EDT-0400

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by bdub109
Added updates at end of post

I already had the wifi adapter case and hardiness so after micro center rebates I only spent around 550

I had Best Buy points as well so only ended up spending about 40$ on cooler

Thanks for the positivity tho! I'm pretty satisfied with it being my first build and mostly bought from micro center so I got several combo deals and rebates

5 minutes ago, bdub109 said:

I already had the wifi adapter case and hardiness so after micro center rebates I only spent around 550

4 minutes ago, bdub109 said:

I had Best Buy points as well so only ended up spending about 40$ on cooler

2 minutes ago, bdub109 said:

Thanks for the positivity tho! I'm pretty satisfied with it being my first build and mostly bought from micro center so I got several combo deals and rebates

Oh alright, I guess that's not too bad

I meant I already had the hard drives

15 minutes ago, bdub109 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I love it. My first build was in a white A240 and that brought all those memories back.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

nice first build

As for upgrades, just leave it as it is.... save money for a second more powerful right like you said

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Thanks for all the feedback.  I see where I could put the 2 80s and I now I could put another 120 in the top but where would I put the other two?  Also what would I use to control the fans as I have run out of fan headers and two of them are already running straight from the aio and I have one converted from molex to fan.  What is the best amd card that I could put in there? 

56 minutes ago, bdub109 said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  I see where I could put the 2 80s and I now I could put another 120 in the top but where would I put the other two?  Also what would I use to control the fans as I have run out of fan headers and two of them are already running straight from the aio and I have one converted from molex to fan.  What is the best amd card that I could put in there? 

best amd card would be a Fury X, as of now, new cards are being launched end of this month

fan controller, if you want manual fan control, I've used these two
http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Sentry-Mesh-Controller-Channels/dp/B005C31G30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462933572&sr=8-1&keywords=manual+fan+controller
http://www.amazon.com/HDE%C2%AE-3-5-Panel-Speed-Controller/dp/B006UFMH3W/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462933635&sr=1-10&keywords=fan+controller

For Motherboard fan control splitter. (powered) I've used this as well 
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462933596&sr=1-3&keywords=fan+controller

They all work well, manual is fun if you want to mess with it, although i prefer the software one (its basically a huge splitter that is controlled by the motherboard but powered by the psu)

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

6 hours ago, bdub109 said:

use Y splitters for the fans or get a nzxt powered fan controller hub... those are pretty neat for the price. The case supports 2 fans top 2 fans bottom and 2 fans front. and the 2 80's in the back. I've had them all installed cept the 80's. Look at the Frost titan build in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some upgrades and thought I would share. I think I'm done with this build for now. I'm going to buy a new gpu and use in this machine while I'm saving for other parts for my atx sky lake water cooled build and then put the r7 back in here.

The upgrades are all corsair white led fans now. I bought a nzxt ten fan hub. I have a total of seven fans(one on the side with the psu and cables, not needed but I had it anyways. There is no room on the bottom due to the motherboard for regular 120s even tho I have extras. I could perhaps put some super slim ones down there but don't think it is needed. I also upgraded to a full modular powersupply and I think the cables look a lot cleaner then before. I also added 8 more gb of ram for a total of 16. Also added a second cable mod wide magnetic led to the mix. 

What at do you guys think?

I found a good deal on a r9 nano today so went ahead and got one. I am pretty happy so far. I wonder how much better I could do if I was to get a better gpu on the same platform. Maybe my gpu is being bottlenecked by the cpu? I also have a i7 3770 that I could use if I bought a new motherboard for it but don't know how much better that would be. I defently thank I want to wait for zen or kaby but wouldn't mind spending 120-150 on a 8 core amd cpu til those come out. I also want to pick up a 144hz monitor soon.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fire strike ultra before and after. I'd really love to pick more of these bad boys up and run them in crossfire. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg