Should I get a 1080 when it comes out or wait for the 1080 TI?

john01dav

I currently have a GTX 770 and I am looking to upgrade to a 1080 of some sort. I am looking to also upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and RAM (basically everything but the hard drives) at the same time with a budget of ~US$1000-2000. Should I wait until the 1080 TI comes out or should I get a 1080 shortly after release?

Also, this thread isn't about the rest of where to spend the money. I am including it so that any sort of price projections of the 1080 and 1080 TI can be taken into account.

for sure the 1080ti will be more powerful... if you are planning to go for 4k and / or VR; i guess waiting on the ti will be worth it (but we don't know if this card even will arrive). If you are sticking to fhd, the 1080 will be more than you need

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Well, that kinda depends on whether or not you'd like to wait. If you're still satisfied with your 770 and are happy with it's performance in the games that you play, then I would suggest to wait until the 1080ti is announced and/or released. 

And if you can't, then I'd jump onto the 1080. The performance is obviously quite impressive im nVidia's numbers are to believed. Not to mention that you could also sell the 1080 (and get a decent price for it) once the 1080ti is announced and released and then purchase the 1080ti with the money you've got from the 1080 + the rest. Or you could decide if it's even necessary to upgrade to a 1080ti. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Are we already having this discussion? The 1080 has been a thing for 24 hours, and I've already seen three threads on here from people wanting to know if they should buy a 1080 or wait for a theoretical 1080 Ti. My mind. It is le blown.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

There is always something more powerful coming. If the 1080ti had just been released would you be asking if you should wait for the 1180?

That makes the question "Will the wait between 1080 -> 1080 ti be greater than or less than the wait between 1080 ti -> 1180?" If I get a near-top-of-the-line card I want it to stay that way for as long as possible.

2 minutes ago, john01dav said:

That makes the question "Will the wait between 1080 -> 1080 ti be greater than or less than the wait between 1080 ti -> 1180?" If I get a near-top-of-the-line card I want it to stay that way for as long as possible.

About the same gap, give or take a couple of months, at least it was that way with the 980/980ti

You may have to wait a long time for it if you do (remember the 980ti was released 8 months after the 980). And this would be assuming there is one, which there is no guarantee that there will be.

If you're fine with the 770 for now, sure wait for the 1080ti. 

Wait for Polaris since right now of this years cards we know way more about Pascal than we do Polaris right now. Giving Pascal a slight unfair advantage.

AMD might have something to put the 1080 to rest in Polaris. Unlikely but still.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

11 minutes ago, wcreek said:

If you're fine with the 770 for now, sure wait for the 1080ti. 

Wait for Polaris since right now of this years cards we know way more about Pascal than we do Polaris right now. Giving Pascal a slight unfair advantage.

AMD might have something to put the 1080 to rest in Polaris. Unlikely but still.

true, rumors are saying that the 480 or 480x will beat the titan x aswell, but also that the 490/x will come later this year... but well, those are rumors

5 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

true, rumors are saying that the 480 or 480x will beat the titan x aswell, but also that the 490/x will come later this year... but well, those are rumors

I'm only expecting 390X performance out of the 480X, not Titan X. But I mean hell, if I can get a 480X for 380X prices and get Titan X performance, that's cool too.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I'm only expecting 390X performance out of the 480X, not Titan X. But I mean hell, if I can get a 480X for 380X prices and get Titan X performance, that's cool too.

you saw what nvidia did, and amd has a new architecture aswell, i really doubt that it will only be a x80 to x90 jump, that would actually be pretty dissapointing considering team greens HUGE jump in performence.

1 minute ago, BlackXbonE said:

you saw what nvidia did, and amd has a new architecture aswell, i really doubt that it will only be a x80 to x90 jump, that would actually be pretty dissapointing considering team greens HUGE jump in performence.

Hmm, I thought realistically the 1070 and 1080 were around 25% better, not two times better than a Titan X.

I suppose 25% is still quite a fair bit.

Still I'm expecting the 480X to be the best card for 1440p gaming right now.

30 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Hmm, I thought realistically the 1070 and 1080 were around 25% better, not two times better than a Titan X.

I suppose 25% is still quite a fair bit.

Still I'm expecting the 480X to be the best card for 1440p gaming right now.

I'm also waiting anxiously to see benchmarks of the 480X and 1070. In all honesty, I'll probably just buy a 1070 and be happy about my life, but if we start seeing leaks that peg the 480X as having a 380/960-ish performance gap over the 1070, AMD will have my attention.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Can't wait to see the amount of 1080 user get fucked over just like what happened with the 980 users and 780 users.

46 minutes ago, ybriK said:

Can't wait to see the amount of 1080 user get fucked over just like what happened with the 980 users and 780 users.

It's progress... AMD does the same, o no, sorry... They just rebrand...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

37 minutes ago, GidonsClaw said:

Yet 390 => 970 / 390X <= 980 / 380 = 960 / 380X > 960 in performance numbers at 1080p and above. For a rebrand you have to give credit they're able to keep up against a new architecture. TDP on the other hand...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_XtremeGaming/23.html

51 minutes ago, GidonsClaw said:

780, 980 and most likely 1080 are pretty horrible in value, for what their bigger brother gives... Like the amount difference in 780 Ti and 980 Ti jump compared to their younger brothers is significant.

I am no expert, but I would say to wait for AMD's Vega GPU to drop and then make your decision. Even if you don't like AMD, you will still end up paying less.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

why not wait for 1180Ti ?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

No one else knows what you want so I'm not sure what the point of this question is. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I'm also waiting anxiously to see benchmarks of the 480X and 1070. In all honesty, I'll probably just buy a 1070 and be happy about my life, but if we start seeing leaks that peg the 480X as having a 380/960-ish performance gap over the 1070, AMD will have my attention.

Oh, FPS gaps with in small margins? Because, what the 380 is marginally better than the 960 and usually cheaper?

I still am hoping that the 480X has the better price/performance. I didn't think that single 4K gaming cards would be more of a thing this year. I was expecting Vega/Navi and Volta to be those cards. It seemed that AMD was planning on having cheaper/mainstream VR capable or ready cards. Though I'm not sure why that'd point to the whole Polaris range being weaker against Pascal. 

I wonder if maybe AMD will just be launching the R9 480(X) and lower this year, with the 480X being essentially the high end 1440p - lower end 4k card at 380(X) prices, and the 490(X) launching next year under vega...

Maybe AMD will have the 490(X) this year, but I don't know.

18 hours ago, ybriK said:

Yet 390 => 970 / 390X <= 980 / 380 = 960 / 380X > 960 in performance numbers at 1080p and above. For a rebrand you have to give credit they're able to keep up against a new architecture. TDP on the other hand...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_XtremeGaming/23.html

Yeah, AMD finally got driver optimisation right... Nvidia can't really optimise something they've had running at peak from day one and just optimised with each driver release...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

3 hours ago, GidonsClaw said:

Yeah, AMD finally got driver optimisation right... Nvidia can't really optimise something they've had running at peak from day one and just optimised with each driver release...

Majority of their driver released are just SLI Profile add-ons for newers titles and ship it in as "GameReady". It's really up to the devs for the optimization part.