AMD Zen Initially only Coming With 8-Core Dies-8 Core and 6 Core Zen CPUs to be the First to Hit the Market

DocSwag

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-only-fabricating-octa-core-zen-x86-die/

It appears that AMD will be sticking with an 8-core dies as far as the fabrication of Zen processors in the Summit Ridge platform is concerned. The mainstream desktop platform is expected to feature 8-core and 6-core variants with SMT and will not, initially, have any quad core or dual core options. On the other hand, the company is expected to launch Bristol Ridge with Quad Core and Dual Core flavors right off the bat.

A report by the Italian publication Bitsandchips.it reveals that AMD will initially only be using octa core dies in the fabrication process of Zen based processors. This method will be the optimal route to use in the production of its Summit Ridge processors because not only will it allow for cost savings (just one die) but will result in the initial wave of Zen x86 CPUs being exceptionally powerful. Since the company is going to be pitting the brand new architecture against Intel’s offerings, which has so far been ahead of the game, Octa-Core and Hexa-Core Zen processors with SMT should be able to compete effectively with their blue counterparts.

Keeping in mind how yield works, we are probably going to be looking at 8-Core and 6-Core flavors in Zen Summit Ridge platform. If the company runs into exceptionally bad yields, we might see some rare OEM spottings of 4-Core flavors as well – but that is unlikely. Once the dust settles after the initial wave, the company could decide to use different dies in the fabrication process of its future series – but for now, they appear to be sticking with an Octa-Core one. The company will be using the new AM4 socket which will allow it to unify its offerings across all platforms as well as house the new generation of Wraith Coolers. All in all, things are looking pretty good on the CPU side of things for AMD.

This is somewhat of a surprise. I was personally expecting 8,6, and 4 core Zen CPUs to come initially. Then again, this does kind of make sense, as now AMD only needs one die initially to work from. As well, this probably means AMD's 6 core Zen CPUs will be around 350-400 dollars as if they were priced higher AMD wouldn't have anything to compete with Intel down at the 300 dollar range. Keep in mind to take this with a grain of salt. This rumor was started by a site that cited no sources; they only stated they got this from their sources but said nothing about who or how they got the info. I wouldn't be too surprised if this is false and we will initially get 8,6, and 4 core Zen CPUs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

If the 6 core is 300+ usd rip in pieces AMD.

It should be 200, direct competition for the i5. (if it even has the performance of an i5)

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

If the 6 core is 300+ usd rip in pieces AMD.

It should be 200, direct competition for the i5. (if it even has the performance of an i5)

I disagree. If AMD did that, Intel would just lower prices right back at them. Sure, it will help us then, but AMD isn't stupid enough to end up getting their profit margins lower just to seem like a good deal for the first week. I personally believe that AMD is gonna price Zen right around and possibly just below Intel's offerings. If Zen is quite a bit better.... Then probably right above.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I disagree. If AMD did that, Intel would just lower prices right back at them. Sure, it will help us then, but AMD isn't stupid enough to end up getting their profit margins lower just to seem like a good deal for the first week. I personally believe that AMD is gonna price Zen right around and possibly just below Intel's offerings. If Zen is quite a bit better.... Then probably right above.

Your post disagrees with itself. I said they should price for direct competition, then you said you disagree and then you said 

I personally believe that AMD is gonna price Zen right around and possibly just below Intel's offerings.

SO WHICH IS IT

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You're making the assumption that the six/eight core zen will perform like a six/eight core Intel _____. I'm not so sure that's an accurate assumption. I would assume they would be more in line with the consumer platform than the enthusiast platform in terms of performance (I doubt they would be only launching with six and eight core versions of they weren't).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, ZetZet said:

Your post disagrees with itself. I said they should price for direct competition, then you said you disagree and then you said 

SO WHICH IS IT

Not sure what you're not understanding. What he's saying is: AMD need to price it according to their performance relative to Intels CPUs. 

They can't really afford to undercut Intel as they don't have a whole lotta money, while Intel does. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

1 minute ago, Lauen said:

Not sure what you're not understanding. What he's saying is: AMD need to price it according to their performance relative to Intels CPUs. 

They can't really afford to undercut Intel as they don't have a whole lotta money, while Intel does. 

yes, but then he said 6 core should cost 350-400 that doesnt make any sense. it should be 200.

Spoiler

Ii doesn't surprise me that they launch with high core count CPU's.
They do like their cores. Lets see what they can do.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Just now, ZetZet said:

yes, but then he said 6 core should cost 350-400 that doesnt make any sense. it should be 200.

IF we look at the numbers we have been presented with before (40% more IPC than Excavator), which means the IPC ends up about the Haswell area, and they manage to keep clocks at a decent level, that's a way too low price. a 6 core Zen cpu would outperform an i5, and mainstream i7s with hyperthreading in multithreaded applications, and would be 10-15% behind in single threaded applications, possibly bringing overall performance to about the same level. Should then be priced just a bit lower than a 6700K, in my opinion, and what seems a lot like his opinion as well. 

Why would AMD sell a 6 core CPU for 200$? ZEN is supposed to bring them back in the game, not dump the market price. AMD needs to make money, not throw them out of the window.

Even IF Intel's similar models would have a small performance plus (like 10% or so), AMD can still be competitive by having better OC capabilities, soldered TIM, more PCI lanes, better motherboard chipsets, etc. You have to look at the larger picture here.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Lauen said:

IF we look at the numbers we have been presented with before (40% more IPC than Excavator), which means the IPC ends up about the Haswell area, and they manage to keep clocks at a decent level, that's a way too low price. a 6 core Zen cpu would outperform an i5, and mainstream i7s with hyperthreading in multithreaded applications, and would be 10-15% behind in single threaded applications, possibly bringing overall performance to about the same level. Should then be priced just a bit lower than a 6700K, in my opinion, and what seems a lot like his opinion as well. 

in theory. IPC is one thing, but if the 6 core runs at 2.5 ghz it won't outperform the i5.

Spoiler

Just now, ZetZet said:

in theory. IPC is one thing, but if the 6 core runs at 2.5 ghz it won't outperform the i5.

That's why I also mentioned " and they manage to keep clocks at a decent level," 

2 minutes ago, Lauen said:

That's why I also mentioned " and they manage to keep clocks at a decent level," 

well, I don't think they can. The TDP is very low and the core count is high. 8 core engineering sample was 3ghz. That's not beating 6700K anytime soon.

Spoiler

Just now, ZetZet said:

well, I don't think they can. The TDP is low and the core count is high. 8 core engineering sample was 3ghz. That's not beating 6700K anytime soon.

Keep in mind that AMD and Intel rate their TDPs in a different way. Intel use a common use case, while AMD is more like.. 100% AIDA64 type thing. 

4 minutes ago, Lauen said:

Intel use a common use case

power_torture.png

power_gaming.png

sure...

Spoiler

well, I don't think they can. The TDP is very low and the core count is high. 8 core engineering sample was 3ghz. That's not beating 6700K anytime soon.

Engineering samples never run at full speed. They are there to test the architecture, not the Hz speed dictated by the node. Also you cannot compare a ZEN core to a Kabe Lake core for instance. There are way too many variables to change IPC/performance. We have to look at benchmarks first.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, ZetZet said:

*snip*

sure...

Notice how the 6700K is above Intels rated TDP on maximum load, 6600K is under, and AMDs offerings are also under their rated TDP? 

Makes sense to target the upper end first. They need to be up there, and existing products can fill out the low end for a while. I would expect them to price for performance, perhaps slightly below the equivalent Intel. Only if their overall performance clearly surpasses Intel can they look much higher. How the performance ends up... we will wait and see.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Lauen said:

Notice how the 6700K is above Intels rated TDP on maximum load, 6600K is under, and AMDs offerings are also under their rated TDP? 

yeah, because 6700k is being tortured with cpu and gpu at the same time... And AMD isn't under, it's pretty much exact.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

The graph uses an I5 6700k. Seems legit.

it's tom's hardware, old people make mistakes sometimes.

Spoiler

SO WHICH IS IT

I see what you are saying, but you are saying AMD will price Zen over 100 dollars below Intel's offering, or about 30% lower. I said just below Intel. I'm pretty sure just below doesn't mean 30% lower. I'm saying that AMD may price Zen, say, 40 dollars below Intel.

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're making the assumption that the six/eight core zen will perform like a seized/eight core Intel _____. I'm not so sure that's an accurate assumption. I would assume they would be more in line with the consumer platform than the enthusiast platform in terms of performance (I doubt they would be only launching with six and eight core versions of they weren't).

True, that is a good point. I am making the assumption Zen is good because AMD they are screwed if otherwise. However, it is true I might be wrong.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, ZetZet said:

yeah, because 6700k is being tortured with cpu and gpu at the same time... And AMD isn't under, it's pretty much exact.

and the 6600K isn't?