Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2DS vs New 3DS vs all?

I sold my 3DS XL, 3DS, and old DS a while back with all the games but now I am starting to wish I had them again. I would just buy them back from the guy I sold them to but he gave them as a present to someone. I am looking at buying something cheap that can play 3DS games. I never really used the 3D even when I had them so I did look at a 2DS but I wasn't sure if they would have very thing the 3DS has. I also am still in love with Nintendo's clamshell form factor. I know a lot of you out there will yell EMULATORS!!! But I have already been using that for a lot of games but it just isn't the same. I am being refurbished without a doubt. Which one do you think I should get?

4 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

I sold my 3DS XL, 3DS, and old DS a while back with all the games but now I am starting to wish I had them again. I would just buy them back from the guy I sold them to but he gave them as a present to someone. I am looking at buying something cheap that can play 3DS games. I never really used the 3D even when I had them so I did look at a 2DS but I wasn't sure if they would have very thing the 3DS has. I also am still in love with Nintendo's clamshell form factor. I know a lot of you out there will yell EMULATORS!!! But I have already been using that for a lot of games but it just isn't the same. I am being refurbished without a doubt. Which one do you think I should get?

I have a new 3ds and 2ds the only difference is the screen size and the like 1 or 2 games that can only be played on the new 3ds. Although to me the 2ds screen looks better but that could be because they are displaying the same resolution on a smaller screen.

EDIT: Also the if you get the 3ds the c-stick which isn't that big of a deal except for like maybe monster hunter or games that is nice to have two "Sticks".

3 minutes ago, l3igwill said:

I have a new 3ds and 2ds the only difference is the screen size and the like 1 or 2 games that can only be played on the new 3ds. Although to be the 2ds screen looks better but that could be because they are displaying the same resolution on a smaller screen.

How big of a screen size difference is it?

4 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

really depends on how attached you're to the clampshell design, I would say get a second hand 2ds or 3ds, as it's uncertain if the NX will have some handheld equivalent, and if it's going to be backwards compatible with 3ds games.

5 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

How big of a screen size difference is it?

Took a photo of mine.

IMG_0744.jpg

The New 3DS has 3D (a given), a slightly faster CPU (faster loading times and a couple more games), a somewhat better web browser that can view HTML5 video (YouTube, for instance), and it can be closed (easier to fit in a pocket). The screen size is also much bigger on the New 3DS XL, though the resolution stays the same. The New 3DS XL also only takes microSD cards for storage expansion, where the 2DS takes normal-sized SD cards. 

The libraries are mostly the same, minus Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, both exclusive to the New 3DS. They also use the same chargers, though neither come with one for some reason.

The 2DS is meant to be budget-friendly and can be picked up for $100 or less, where the New 3DS XL is around $195. $100 is a pretty good deal if you aren't super-dedicated to it, plus you can get a few more games with the savings. You COULD wait for NX, but that's not going to be out for another year.

19 minutes ago, l3igwill said:

Took a photo of mine.

IMG_0744.jpg

It's funny because that's the 2DS I was looking at getting but it was sold out at GameStop 

I would go with the 3DSXL unless there's some game for New3DS that you absolutely can't resist. I have a 3DSXL and an original DS from way back in 2005, and my brother has an original 3DS. Regardless of weather or not you like 3D (personally, I love it) The massive screens are a huge plus for me, and the clamshell design makes it a bit harder to crack the screens.

As someone with a DSi, 2DS & New 3DSXL, the 2DS fits almost perfectly in-hand and lets me use the L/R shoulder buttons without having to always rest my index fingers on them (unlike the New 3DSXL) or cramp my fingers into claws to activate them (unlike the DSi and before). On the flip-side, the New 3DSXL is more comfortable to hold one-handed and the clamshell fold makes it a little bit easier to slip into my pockets than the 2DS if I need to put it away before standing up from a seat.

I purchased my 2DS as a pre-order with Pokemon X & Y ($60/each), as the unit alone was $100 AUD cheaper than the original 3DS, so buying 2DS + Pkmn X + Pkmn Y was only $20 more than buying the 3DS on its own.

I purchased my New 3DSXL as a pre-order with OmegaRuby & AlphaSapphire, as I needed something to play 3DS games that could be folded shut but also keep my hands from cramping up trying to keep a deathgrip on the smaller unit size compared to a DSi. Also having a 2DS and the New 3DSXL makes it much easier to move things from game-to-game without having to dump stuff to the Micro/SD storage and then pull it back off said storage once I changed the carts.

1 hour ago, Technous285 said:

As someone with a DSi, 2DS & New 3DSXL, the 2DS fits almost perfectly in-hand and lets me use the L/R shoulder buttons without having to always rest my index fingers on them (unlike the New 3DSXL) or cramp my fingers into claws to activate them (unlike the DSi and before). On the flip-side, the New 3DSXL is more comfortable to hold one-handed and the clamshell fold makes it a little bit easier to slip into my pockets than the 2DS if I need to put it away before standing up from a seat.

I purchased my 2DS as a pre-order with Pokemon X & Y ($60/each), as the unit alone was $100 AUD cheaper than the original 3DS, so buying 2DS + Pkmn X + Pkmn Y was only $20 more than buying the 3DS on its own.

I purchased my New 3DSXL as a pre-order with OmegaRuby & AlphaSapphire, as I needed something to play 3DS games that could be folded shut but also keep my hands from cramping up trying to keep a deathgrip on the smaller unit size compared to a DSi. Also having a 2DS and the New 3DSXL makes it much easier to move things from game-to-game without having to dump stuff to the Micro/SD storage and then pull it back off said storage once I changed the carts.

So, since I only have money for one right now, do you think I should go ahead and buy a 2DS and then at a later date pickup a New 3DS?

3 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

So, since I only have money for one right now, do you think I should go ahead and buy a 2DS and then at a later date pickup a New 3DS?

That would probably be the optimal option, though keep in mind that since the 2DS doesn't fold it's screens are more prone to being damaged when in a pocket or bag than a normal 3DS/XL, but the body of the 2DS is more durable due to the lack of the hinge for folding (the hinge being a common weakpoint on all 3/DS-family units, even the GBA SP).

9 hours ago, Technous285 said:

That would probably be the optimal option, though keep in mind that since the 2DS doesn't fold it's screens are more prone to being damaged when in a pocket or bag than a normal 3DS/XL, but the body of the 2DS is more durable due to the lack of the hinge for folding (the hinge being a common weakpoint on all 3/DS-family units, even the GBA SP).

Only one thing though. I can easily find 2DS's at $60 and the cheapest New 3DS's I see are $120-130. At that price do you think it is still worth it? Is the New 3DS really worth twice the 2DS.

On 5/4/2016 at 3:36 AM, l3igwill said:

I have a new 3ds and 2ds the only difference is the screen size and the like 1 or 2 games that can only be played on the new 3ds. Although to me the 2ds screen looks better but that could be because they are displaying the same resolution on a smaller screen.

EDIT: Also the if you get the 3ds the c-stick which isn't that big of a deal except for like maybe monster hunter or games that is nice to have two "Sticks".

:/ I hope that stays like that. but it have more ram+cpu cores etc... so they might release a new pokemon game that look better and only run on **new** 3ds that time I will die.

On 5/5/2016 at 5:00 PM, Johnmakuta said:

Only one thing though. I can easily find 2DS's at $60 and the cheapest New 3DS's I see are $120-130. At that price do you think it is still worth it? Is the New 3DS really worth twice the 2DS.

I think u can find on Ebay , and check refurbished one's that is not bad option.
when i searched on Ebay I found one around 58$ used and look in good condition 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-2DS-Blue-Black-bundle-wall-charger-pen-screen-protectors/331849723301

On 5/5/2016 at 8:00 AM, Johnmakuta said:

I'd say yes, and I'd go on to say that the N3DS XL is worth 3 times the price of said cheapest 2DS.  Larger screens along with the upgrades to the hardware make it a bit of a sweet spot for me.  Unless you prefer those interchangeable face plates...  On the other hand, if you don't care about the upgraded stuff in the N3DS, you can always spring for the 3DS XL... which would also be worth it imo.