Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 Engineering Sample (ES)

I saw a listing of Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 engineering samples on ebay with A1 stepping. I never bought ES cpus. Does any one have some experience with ES cpus and is it worth the risk? 

By the way I'm planning on getting two of these for an office workstation for scientific simulation purposes. So nothing critical and if a simulation crashes every now and then, not a big deal.

I think the only difference between ES and normal chips is that ES are cherry picked for reviewers and such so that the stability is nice and all. That and they don't have serial numbers or something.

4 minutes ago, Ahmad Alothman said:

I saw a listing of Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 engineering samples on ebay with A1 stepping. I never bought ES cpus. Does any one have some experience with ES cpus and is it worth the risk? 

By the way I'm planning on getting two of these for an office workstation for scientific simulation purposes. So nothing critical and if a simulation crashes every now and then, not a big deal.

That's interesting that it's only $1k. I seem to recall that the e5-2699 v3 retailed for about $4500. As for buying an ES, should be fine as it was sent out for testing, right? So that means it has to be stable enough to run tests. Why don't you just wait for the v4 to officially drop, or get a used v3?

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

That's interesting that it's only $1k. I seem to recall that the e5-2699 v3 retailed for about $4500. As for buying an ES, should be fine as it was sent out for testing, right? So that means it has to be stable enough to run tests. Why don't you just wait for the v4 to officially drop, or get a used v3?

A used E5-2699 V3, in most cases, is at least $2000 and I really need all this processing power right now but I'm a little worried that the cpu ends up not being usable.

Good rating I guess, go for it and if it doesn't work, hope ebay backs you go.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

17 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I think the only difference between ES and normal chips is that ES are cherry picked for reviewers and such so that the stability is nice and all. That and they don't have serial numbers or something.

Are you sure, because "Engineering Sample" (ES) doesn't make it sound like it's a review sample.

I would say it's a semi finalized CPU that still has bugs to be fixed before it is put into production.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

12 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Are you sure, because "Engineering Sample" (ES) doesn't make it sound like it's a review sample.

I would say it's a semi finalized CPU that still has bugs to be fixed before it is put into production.

There are two kinds of ES cpus

Review CPUs

And testing CPUs.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 hour ago, Ahmad Alothman said:

I've bought a Xeon E5-2695V3 a year ago for $600 (Good price at the time) and I've had no issues since. However, do note that you might not luck out with the ES chips. They're the ones that get abused to hell to certify the retail units. You also might have some features disabled or notice the CPU doing weird things. Mine's stable, but your luck varies. Also, the earlier the stepping, the higher chance of there being unfixed bugs present in the CPU. That being said though, I'm probably going to temp fate again and pick up two broadwell Xeon CPUs (My wallet says no though...but my 2500K says yes (Struggling to keep up with the workload that I do)).

However, if this is being used in a actual production environment with mission critical servers, do not tempt fate and buy the retail Xeons.

4 hours ago, scottyseng said:

I've bought a Xeon E5-2695V3 a year ago for $600 (Good price at the time) and I've had no issues since. However, do note that you might not luck out with the ES chips. They're the ones that get abused to hell to certify the retail units. You also might have some features disabled or notice the CPU doing weird things. Mine's stable, but your luck varies. Also, the earlier the stepping, the higher chance of there being unfixed bugs present in the CPU. That being said though, I'm probably going to temp fate again and pick up two broadwell Xeon CPUs (My wallet says no though...but my 2500K says yes (Struggling to keep up with the workload that I do)).

However, if this is being used in a actual production environment with mission critical servers, do not tempt fate and buy the retail Xeons.

What is the stepping on your E5-2695V3?

27 minutes ago, Ahmad Alothman said:

What is the stepping on your E5-2695V3?

See attached image. I have the CPU on a SuperMicro motherboard with server DDR4 (2 x 16GB) ECC RAM.

Capture.PNG

5 hours ago, scottyseng said:

See attached image. I have the CPU on a SuperMicro motherboard with server DDR4 (2 x 16GB) ECC RAM.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for posting

7 hours ago, Ahmad Alothman said:

One risk is that the cpu is preproduction so the cpu could have issues with stability, and other issues reducing the lifetime of the cpu. Intel will not have any warranties, or help with any issues with the cpu as they aren't supposed to be sold to anyone.

Also these are still the property of Intel and any sale of these are illegal.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005719.html

If it is for scientific simulations at a workplace just buy them new it isn't worth the risk, one wrong number in a simulation could end up very badly.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •