HELP BROKE A WIRE IN MY LAPTOP!

Manage My Cables

Hello,

So after rushing to put my laptop ( Toshiba Satellite A660 ) back together after installing new ram and general cleaning I noticed the WIFI was cutting out and not connecting. So I pulled it back apart and realised the white cable with that connects to the WIFI m.2 card and runs up around the motherboard and into the bezel to a small hidden antenna. The cable had slipped out of cable management hook and got into the way of one of the screws that secures the motherboard to the laptop case and got cut by it when reassembling it. I have no idea how to open the bezel of the screen to replace the cable and wasn't sure if the cable is able to be soldered back together. 

The cable is a 

Mini PCI U.FL / IPX to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Pigtail Cable Connector

20160429_204224.jpg

20160429_203709.jpg

As a guy, who never done anything near soldering, i had that problem once. I just cut the bad piece out, desolated the ends of both pieces, twisted them together and isolated them with eletrical tape. not pretty, but worked as long as i had my laptop.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

1 minute ago, Rodniz said:

As a guy, who never done anything near soldering, i had that problem once. I just cut the bad piece out, desolated the ends of both pieces, twisted them together and isolated them with eletrical tape. not pretty, but worked as long as i had my laptop.

From what I could see it's fibre with a thin metal or similer braided sheath. I'll see if anybody else has any ideas before I try anything. 

Case: NZXT H440 CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.0 Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 920 Graphics Card: Zotac Mini GTX1070 Ti Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 K3 RAM: Kingstone Fury 2x8GB Storage: Crucial P1 SSD, Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5, Hitachi - Deskstar 500 3.5" PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 550W 80+ Mouse: Logitech G403 OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit  Audio: ATH-AD500X

The antenna goes around the perimeter of the monitor. Different models have different types, so you can't just buy anything random. The one from Amazon link, will not work because there are no mounting areas in your laptop to install it. The other is length. a small laptop of 11.6", will not need a long antenna compare to a 17" laptop that does.

Your best option is to buy a USB wifi adapter.

hp-507041-001-laptop-wifi-antenna-cable-

A-Pair-of-2pcs-Antenna-for-Laptop-Wirele

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Its just a shielded wifi antenna wire. If its not physically severed then it will probably work just fine. You could always buy a replacement for it.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

9 hours ago, Rodniz said:

That really is the easiest way of solving the problem and the most ghetto way (and the cheapest way).

But if the wires inside are still intact then it's fine and also, just power up your lappy and see whether it would still connect to wifi no?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That really is the easiest way of solving the problem and the most ghetto way (and the cheapest way).

But if the wires inside are still intact then it's fine and also, just power up your lappy and see whether it would still connect to wifi no?

The cable is right on top of the pcb. maybe it could short something out?

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

Is that wire shielded?

13 hours ago, Manage My Cables said:

From what I could see it's fibre with a thin metal or similer braided sheath. I'll see if anybody else has any ideas before I try anything. 

It's a coax cable, so there's a copper wire core, surrounded by an insulator, then wrapped in a copper braid for RF insulation, then covered in another insulator.

ASU

You are going to need to solder it back together. Make sure to put heat shrink tubing on it to prevent shorting.

3 hours ago, toxicnos said:

You are going to need to solder it back together. Make sure to put heat shrink tubing on it to prevent shorting.

Don't worry I put shrink tubing over all connections I solder.