Buying Macbook from school, Should I?

So the High School I go to has given out 2013 Mac book Airs to all the students.

My school year is coming to an end and the school is offering to sell me the mac book (Able to have forever after school/All restrictions taken off)

Apple retails the Mac book for $800, and it comes with Lifetime Microsoft Office..

There is minimal, but visible scratches on the shell.

The school wants $350 for it.

Should I?

(Please don't reply just to start a flame war whining about PC vs. Mac)

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

Hey, $350 for a decent productivity laptop? I'd go for it, if you actually think you would use it :) if not, don't do it, or check prices on Craigslist or EBay if you think you can sell it again for higher than $350.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

I don't find it a bad choice if you buy it. It is good instead of using another laptop/pc for surfing the internet, but not for gaming as I know...

Can I start a flame war pls pls plssss?

Just now, sebster39 said:

I don't find it a bad choice if you buy it. It is good instead of using another laptop/pc for surfing the internet, but not for gaming as I know...

You can start a flame war as long as the Site Mods don't see you do it!

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Just now, kgorringe said:

So the High School I go to has given out 2013 Mac book Airs to all the students.

My school year is coming to an end and the school is offering to sell me the mac book (Able to have forever after school/All restrictions taken off)

Apple retails the Mac book for $800, and it comes with Lifetime Microsoft Office..

Should I?

its a good deal. i would buy it and then sell it for more. its quite underpowered

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

SNIP

Edited by Fourmi Kill3r

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

its a good deal. i would buy it and then sell it for more. its quite underpowered

I have plans to make it the GPS computer for my retired Navy PT boat I have.

2 minutes ago, sebster39 said:

I want to start one too :'(

1 minute ago, kgorringe said:

You can start a flame war as long as the Site Mods don't see you do it!

I find PC's better for gaming and also multimedia experiences. The mac book is just an overpriced laptop with no power against the WINDOWS! - notice how it is all caps

2 minutes ago, Fourmi Kill3r said:

I want to start one too :'(

Start it but hopefully the Mods let you go easy.

I have plans to make it the GPS computer for my retired Navy PT boat I have.

thats a good idea. it doesnt need much power power and runs on 14,5v.

but the glare screen will be annoying.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

thats a good idea. it doesnt need much power power and runs on 14,5v.

but the glare screen will be annoying.

Ill probably get an anti-glare red tinted screen saver

(Tinted red so it doesn't un-adjust your eyes as badly at night)

Ill probably get an anti-glare red tinted screen saver

(Tinted red so it doesn't un-adjust your eyes as badly at night)

look at that you can run it on 12v:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00D2S9FTY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=giga-de-21&ascsubtag=160428197136o727391&linkCode=as2&camp=1638&creative=19454&creativeASIN=B00D2S9FTY

13 minutes ago, kgorringe said:

Should I?

Buy it....even if you are an Apple hater, you can always sell it for more...

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, sebster39 said:

I find PC's better for gaming and also multimedia experiences. The mac book is just an overpriced laptop with no power against the WINDOWS! - notice how it is all caps

For $350, a slim looking design, a light an easy to use OS, and quiet performance, My mac book is perfect for a Light User who thinks inspect elementing your Candy Crush high score is hacking makes them a TECH GOD.

AKA It's good for stupid people who want to chat with their grand kids.

2 minutes ago, kgorringe said:

For $350, a slim looking design, a light an easy to use OS, and quiet performance, My mac book is perfect for a Light User who thinks inspect elementing your Candy Crush high score is hacking makes them a TECH GOD.

AKA It's good for stupid people who want to chat with their grand kids.

That comment was the start of the flame war. You did not reply correctly

1 minute ago, sebster39 said:

That comment was the start of the flame war. You did not reply correctly

mfw I partially agreed with you    RIP

1 hour ago, kgorringe said:

Should I?

Personally, I believe a ThinkPad T420 or T430 for 400$ is a MUCH better buy.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

350$ for a meh laptop that is a bad deal, it should more be about 200$ because the cpu, ram and screen is pretty bad.

As don said get a Thinkpad T420/420s T430/430s there you can get 900p-1080p screen with a i7 or i5 and 8gb of ram.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

What specs specifically does it have?  That is potentially a good deal but we can't be sure unless we know the specs :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.