Relational Model of a University.

PampaZiya

Hello,

My friend and I have an oracle project for this semester, we're creating a database for a university. The database will be accessed by Employees and Students. 

Students will use an android app to check their courses, grades, news, etc.. 

Employees will use a Java application on windows to add students, etc..

Would anyone with good Database experience please comment on our ER model (Attached)? 

NOTES: 

- A course can be given in many majors.

- A section is an instance of the course under a professor (Employee) since it can be taught by many professors at different times (and in my country, english or french)

- NSSF is the student's assurance, if he has a private one, it will be in the NSSF TYPE (amount=0) if not he will be given the College NSSF with extra fee.

- A student can have a different NSSF every year hence creating NSSF_HISTORY to keep track of his previous NSSF

- A function is employee's job (Professor, clean lady, registration employee, etc...), each has it's own salary, however we created a salary_type table to keep track of previous salaries and how they increased/decreased with time.

- The LOVs on the left is mainly cause, personally, I prefer to have them in their own respective tables instead of having enumerations or restrictions.

FUNCTIONALITY:

- The server is an online MySQL database

- It's accessed directly through Java (Eclipse)

- It's accessed through PHP files located on the server to access the MySQL database.

FOR ANDROID DEVELOPERS:

- I would like to know if I want to keep news (and push notification for them). Can I create table for news and add it to the database or is there a better solution ?

Thank you so much !

2lxawix.png

DESIGN.pdf

I feel like a scrub for being so confused by this diagram. (4 years of programming class (2 in high school. 2 in college)

Best of luck to you man

6 hours ago, prolemur said:

You shouldn't be identifying students by their gender, gosh, this is 2016

Hahaha, they aren't identified by their gender, but their gender is saved in their info, it's in a different table so you know I'm all about that free stuff:p Heck you can add a totally new gender:p

8 hours ago, iasianxmofoii said:

I feel like a scrub for being so confused by this diagram. (4 years of programming class (2 in high school. 2 in college)

Best of luck to you man

Haha, it's okay ! It's my third year of college and this is my final Oracle project and I chose a bit complicated topic that is a university so I'm confused how I even got here LOL. But I wanted to know if I'm on the right track

Interesting topic, I'm not gonna comment on the relational model, but I'm curious as to why you choose MySQL over PostgreSQL? PostrgreSQL is a much more feature rich DB and is also fully open source. Also it follows proper SQL standard.

I'm just curious as whenever I work with non NoSQL databases I opt for Postgres over MySQL.

Anyway it's a cool project and I wish you the best of luck!

25 minutes ago, Hamosch said:

Interesting topic, I'm not gonna comment on the relational model, but I'm curious as to why you choose MySQL over PostgreSQL? PostrgreSQL is a much more feature rich DB and is also fully open source. Also it follows proper SQL standard.

I'm just curious as whenever I work with non NoSQL databases I opt for Postgres over MySQL.

Anyway it's a cool project and I wish you the best of luck!

I never used PostrgreSQL and I actually never heard of it's existence until now :P I just went with what's familiar, MySQL since I already used it many times in php before so I used an online MySQL database and PHP files to access  it cause I found no direct way to access an online MySQL database on android like in Eclipse other than using PHP.

Oh and thank you ! I will be uploading everything when the project is done. It's consisted of an android app and a Java program on Windows.

And if there's mistakes I would REALLY appreciate if you can comment if you have the experience :P