Nintendo NX to launch March 2017

Svnyster

Nintendo has released their FYE report which has stated that the Nintendo NX console will be released in March 2017.  This was also confirmed via Twitter:

"The next generation of #Nintendo is coming March 2017! #NX"  - @NintendoAmerica

Here's to hoping that Nintendo can recover from the disaster of the Wii U and get back to competing with Sony and Microsoft.

Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/27/nintendo-nx-launch-march-2017/ 

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nintendo?src=twsrc%5Etfw 

FYE Report: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf 

Also Zelda U is delayed again til 2017, and will dual launch on Wii U and NX

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

as long as it can play wii u games i'm fine with it.

Other bits of information:

- Zelda U (I guess it's Zelda U/NX now?) is coming out in 2017 on both Wii U and NX

- Zelda U is going to be their only game playable on the showroom floor at E3

- They're not going to have the NX at E3. I think it's safe to assume that we'll get a Nintendo Direct

- Nintendo is predicting 800k Wii U's sold in the next FY, down from 3.3mill this FY

- The next mobile titles are going to be based on Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

That launch date makes me think the NX will have a Zen APU. I r excite.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I think it is a smart move. Nintendo can see what the PS4.5 / NEO is and if XBox One version 2,  will have, at least hopefully, and can do adjustments before mass production.

42 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it is a smart move. Nintendo can see what the PS4.5 / NEO is and if XBox One version 2,  will have, at least hopefully, and can do adjustments before mass production.

Nintendo hasn't been keeping up with PlayStation/Xbox hardware for the past few generations....will hey really start caring now? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Nintendo hasn't been keeping up with PlayStation/Xbox hardware for the past few generations....will hey really start caring now? 

They kinda have to start caring, they need the 3rd party support this time. Rumors indicate that the NX has been positively received by 3rd parties, and also that Nintendo is ramping up their 1st party production. Both of these things need to be true for the NX to be a success. 

With it releasing in March 2017, it looks like it might get a Polaris chip and Zen CPU? (So a Zen APU). Maybe Zen is a bit to much to hope for, but at least a custom APU with Polaris in it seems likely now. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

2 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

They kinda have to start caring, they need the 3rd party support this time. Rumors indicate that the NX has been positively received by 3rd parties, and also that Nintendo is ramping up their 1st party production. Both of these things need to be true for the NX to be a success. 

With it releasing in March 2017, it looks like it might get a Polaris chip and Zen CPU? (So a Zen APU). Maybe Zen is a bit to much to hope for, but at least a custom APU with Polaris in it seems likely now. 

I still don´t get why they didn´t do a Pokemon Snap for the Wii U. 

3 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

Mass production takes around 7 to 9 month for world wide releases. So the Zen CPU needs to be released pretty soon for Nintendo to test, and update dev console. Mass production takes time, as not only you have to deal with production design/assembly issues from early batches, and have that corrected with the manufacture, and redo a batch test, with all the factories involves world wide, but also to stock up sufficient device to meet a world wide demand. This is one of the reasons why some times a console isn't release exactly at the same time world wide. It is difficult to do, especially when you have delivery delays or unable to meet demand from other manufacture. Say for example, AMD can't deliver the right amount of CPUs to Nintendo due to production issues, for example.

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I still don´t get why they didn´t do a Pokemon Snap for the Wii U. 

It is because fans wants it. Nintendo like to surprise gamers, and its fans. If they feel they have nothing really new to deliver, they won't bother, even taught the fans just wants the same old game. A perfect example of this, is StarFox Zero which shot Nintendo in the foot. StarFox is a simple game, and this its charms. Because of this, it is hard to deliver new things to the game without really changing the game to a point that it should have a different name, and also why they never released a StarFox since the N64 days. So what they do? New controller scheme that just doesn't really work in reality despite cool or interesting on paper, and that hurt the game.

4 hours ago, Ashaira said:

as long as it can play wii u games i'm fine with it.

It won't be able to AFAIK, Wii U is PPC based while NX will be X86 based so there's very little chance of any backwards compatibility.

40 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Simples really, if that want to attract third party devs back to develop for the Nintendo NX then they have to make it comparable to the other systems and mildly easy to port games too, otherwise they end up in the same boat as the Wii U. 3 years on and the games library is miniscule and consists of a single third party developed title (Zombi U).

I believe the Xbone has had more games released onto the platform in a single year than the Wii U has in its entire life.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Nintendo should just become software devs, maybe make some peripherals,

release their games for PC and the other consoles, and dev for iOS and Android, they could even release a DS Gaming case for the phone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

release their games for PC and the other consoles, and dev for iOS and Android, they could even release a DS Gaming case for the phone

I feel like that would be a good idea as well. I can't imagine they make that much money off of their consoles (even when they sell well). Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, wasn't the Wii U estimated to cost around $250 + packacking/R&D/advertising?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I'd love to see nintendo, and sony too, embrace the pc simply because consoles really can't offer what the pc platform does. Telling a tinkerer they can't tinker isn't a great selling point.

11 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

I'd love to see nintendo, and sony too, embrace the pc simply because consoles really can't offer what the pc platform does. Telling a tinkerer they can't tinker isn't a great selling point.

Sony already might, they said there might not be a PS5

Sony have been restructuring lately, they might just let the gaming department go and just manage their dev teams

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

37 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

This would be a TERRIBLE idea. It goes against the roots of Nintendo. That is like asking ASUS to turn themselves into a car manufacture company, and drop everything.

Nintendo is a toy company. It always has been, way before the NES days. They used to make all sorts of toys.

This is also why Nintendo has trouble with 3rd party devs. They develop a console for themselves, and if you want to make a game for it, than you are welcomed. Much like if a 3rd party wants to make special cloths for Barbie doll.

Nintendo likes to innovate... the problem is that some times it works (Comfortable controllers, shoulder buttons, analogue sticks, rumble, dynamic in-game loading, motion controls (say you hate it, but it started the whole R&D on how to make it better.. and now you have the controllers of the Occulus Rift and HTC Vive), DRM systems and region lock system that are physical designed (different shape cartridges, reading disks on reverse, etc.) to give the best experience to the user, play off-screen, multi-level pressure shoulder buttons, and more), and other it doesn't.

Nintendo is not about only the games, it is about the experience. Each company has a focus.

Sony is about keeping things simple, barebone, play it extremely safe, and go with is trusted .

Microsoft is about augmenting the living room.

PC is not a solution. PC are too costly, too much maintenance, too complicated to build and pick parts and know what to get, too big of a box if you want performance, due to lack of deeper optimization due to too many hardware configuration, many games needs to run on higher specs than it would need to on console. Game graphics settings.. you think that people know what AA is? V-Sync? MSAA? No they don't, nor they care about it, and even if they wanted too, there is so much to know, it is not a 5min thing.

People want a plug and play solution, and a game console provide that, and easy way to play video games on a large TV. DO they care about graphics? No. Just want to have fun.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This would be a TERRIBLE idea. It goes against the routes of Nintendo. That is like asking ASUS to turn themselves into a car manufacture company, and drop everything.

Nintendo is a toy company. It always has been, way before the NES days.

Nintendo likes to innovate... the problem is that some times it works (Comfortable controllers, shoulder buttons, analogue sticks, rumble, dynamic in-game loading, motion controls (say you hate it, but it started the whole R&D on how to make it better.. and now you have the controllers of the Occulus Rift and HTC Vive), DRM systems and region lock system that are physical designed (different shape cartridges, reading disks on reverse, etc.) to give the best experience to the user, play off-screen, multi-level pressure shoulder buttons, and more.

Nintendo is not about only the games, it is about the experience. Each company has a focus.

Sony is about keeping things simple, barebone, play it extremely safe, and go with is trusted .

Microsoft is about augmenting the living room.

PC is not a solution. PC are too costly, too much maintenance, too complicated to build and pick parts and know what to get, too big of a box if you want performance, due to lack of deeper optimization due to too many hardware configuration, many games needs to run on higher specs than it would need to on console. Game graphics settings.. you think that people know what AA is? V-Sync? MSAA? No they don't, nor they care about it, and even if they wanted too, there is so much to know, it is not a 5min thing.

People want a plug and play solution, and a game console provide that, and easy way to play video games on a large TV. DO they care about graphics? No. Just want to have fun.

I guess I'm not a people then :P. Though this is why I'd assume that if they ever did pursue pc, they'd follow microsoft. A 'console' pc for the console demographic, and just have the games available on pc for the rest of us. I await the day that will never come when 60fps is the standard, and graphics take the hit to achieve the 60fps as opposed to today's framerate hits for prettier graphics.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

SNIP

But modern consoles are becoming less "plug and play" with each generation, s

They are becoming more fiddely, waggely, instally, downlaody, dlcy than ever before

its no longer "insert cartridge and play" . the whole "simple console" argument is utterly flawed these days, and I feel its only going to get worse

6 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

We’ve spent so much time hacking the 3DS… our efforts can only spread so thin :(

It’s going to be interesting to see how the homebrew scene pans out with this. I’ll stay tuned.

That is the only reason why I am getting new 3DS this summer.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

14 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

I guess I'm not a people then :P. Though this is why I'd assume that if they ever did pursue pc, they'd follow microsoft. A 'console' pc for the console demographic, and just have the games available on pc for the rest of us. I await the day that will never come when 60fps is the standard, and graphics take the hit to achieve the 60fps as opposed to today's framerate hits for prettier graphics.

Microsoft story is very complicated.

60fps is long been possible.. heck the WiiU has the most 60fps games, despite the lowest end console by considerable margins. But 3rd party devs aren't interested in costly deeper optimization because people are content to 30fps, and people, wants realistic graphics, despite not caring about graphics, which is hypocritical, but it is what it is. People want to be amazed by something. And as you can see from the WiiU, 60fps doesn't push sales.

11 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

They are becoming more fiddely, waggely, instally, downlaody, dlcy than ever before

its no longer "insert cartridge and play" . the whole "simple console" argument is utterly flawed these days, and I feel its only going to get worse

In regards to PS4 and Xbone, yes, you are right. They often have installs that take time, huge patches that needs downloading etc. etc.

I've owned a Wii U for a few years now, I don't have a lot of games (10 or so I think), but it is pretty much just plug and play. Some games have patches from times to times, but they download automatically, silently, in the background. I only notice them because when I start a game which has been updated, there is a little popup with "Updates have been installed" or "installing updates" or something like that. I've never waited a game to install or update. The only waiting I've done is the download when I buy digitally.

If the developers just take their time to polish enough, and make smart patch systems, it won't be a problem, and that is what Nintendo does with their games. If NX gets good 3rd party support we will start to see the same behaviour here as we see on PS4 and Xbone from those games, but that's because of the devs choosing to do it this way, not because of the console being bad. 

Nintendo have always been good at releasing polished games, and I doubt that's going to change just because we get a new console. 

8 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I don't know... I insert a disk, and it works for me. Might have an update, but I can play the game while it downloads.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft story is very complicated.

60fps is long been possible.. heck the WiiU has the most 60fps games, despite the lowest end console by considerable margins. But 3rd party devs aren't interested in costly deeper optimization because people are content to 30fps, and people, wants realistic graphics, despite not caring about graphics, which is hypocritical, but it is what it is. People want to be amazed by something. And as you can see from the WiiU, 60fps doesn't push sales.

Oh believe me, I know. Twice now I planned on picking up a ps4 and haven't for that reason. Bloodborne had my interest as a souls fan, and I had fully intended on picking up the ratchet and clank reboot, until the day it was confirmed for 30fps. 

2 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Oh believe me, I know. Twice now I planned on picking up a ps4 and haven't for that reason. Bloodborne had my interest as a souls fan, and I had fully intended on picking up the ratchet and clank reboot, until the day it was confirmed for 30fps. 

The way I go is: What console gives me the games I want to play that I can't play better (let alone buy cheaper even on day 1 release), on my PC already, with the same or similar experience? And buy a console based on that.