Is my power supply good enough?

GiantSlay007

Hi guys,

I have a corsair cx430 together with:

i7 3770 @ 4.1GHz

2x8gb 1600 MHz ram

1xhdd 1x ssd

fan controller with display (nzxt sentry 3)

dvd writer

corsair h55 water cooler

and I used to have a gtx 650ti, so everything was just fine.

but recently, I got an old graphics card from a friend, an AMD radeon HD 7950 boost edition.

Its been running fine for about two months, but I'm worried the psu would die sooner or later.

any advice?

thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

i suggest swapping it out asap, and keeping it as a spare, as it isnt quite a reliable unit

EVGA G2 550W is a good replacement

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

i wouldnt pair a CX with anything more than a GTX *50 on the nvidia side, or its amd equivalent...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i wouldnt pair a CX with anything more than a GTX *50 on the nvidia side, or its amd equivalent...

then again, AMD card tends to have higher tdp for the same performance, so i wouldnt trust a CX psu with more than an i3 + x50 rig

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 4/26/2016 at 10:52 PM, Moonzy said:

i suggest swapping it out asap, and keeping it as a spare, as it isnt quite a reliable unit

On 4/26/2016 at 10:52 PM, manikyath said:

The cx430 is more than enough for any of Nvidia's gtx (x)50 cards or the OP's system. The system would barely pull over 200w at load. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Well Jonny doesn't agree with you,

we think it's an OK power supply that it well suited for the job, not a very efficient one but there are no problems with the reliability

so #math

just don't overclock to keep it from overdrawing, refer to my previously posted links

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The cx430 is more than enough for any of Nvidia's gtx (x)50 cards or the OP's system. The system would barely pull over 200w at load. 

its just mostly corsair themselves saying CX is for "basic systems"

now, offcourse the question is what a "basic system" is.

On 4/26/2016 at 10:55 PM, DXMember said:

just don't overclock to keep it from overdrawing, refer to my previously posted links

It would take an extremely heavy oc to overdraw a cx430 with the OP's system. 

On 4/26/2016 at 11:04 PM, manikyath said:

its just mostly corsair themselves saying CX is for "basic systems"

now, offcourse the question is what a "basic system" is.

On 4/26/2016 at 11:07 PM, Ellen_orangecloud said:

CX is only good for basic PCs used for surfing or office work. Other than that I'd suggest getting something better even if it means splashing $5, 10 or more. 

A 'basic pc' for office work would probably draw less than 100w and a cx430 would be overkill. A description from corsair doesn't change what the psu can do.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

A 'basic pc' for office work would probably draw less than 100w and a cx430 would be overkill. A description from corsair doesn't change what the psu can do.

if a car manufacturer said their car wasnt made for rally driving, would you use it for rally driving without worry?

sure it'll work, but my 80 watt server thats running off of a 400 watt FSP group makes me cringe every time i open it, its just obvious that it's not supposed to go that way. (by the way, if that FSP group can reliably push 400 watts i'm the pope.)

On 4/26/2016 at 1:20 AM, manikyath said:

if a car manufacturer said their car wasnt made for rally driving, would you use it for rally driving without worry?

sure it'll work, but my 80 watt server thats running off of a 400 watt FSP group makes me cringe every time i open it, its just obvious that it's not supposed to go that way. (by the way, if that FSP group can reliably push 400 watts i'm the pope.)

Corsair never stated what the psu isn't for. The term office pc and gaming pc aren't mutually exclusive.

Depending on the model, it may or may not reliably push 400w but 80w shouldn't be an issue. If it really 'isn't supposed to go that way', you wouldn't be using it. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Corsair never stated what the psu isn't for. The term office pc and gaming pc aren't mutually exclusive.

Depending on the model, it may or may not reliably push 400w but 80w shouldn't be an issue. If it really 'isn't supposed to go that way', you wouldn't be using it. 

the only reason that power supply is still in there is because i cant bother getting a replacement and mod it with a 12-pin mobo connector because acer cant keep to standards.

as for its not supposed to go that way... i soldered on extra sata connectors to be able to hook up the amount of drives the motherboard supported.

i'm a guy that likes to use things for purposes they werent intended to be used for, but i feel like power supplies are something you should be especially careful about, since they can kill the entirety of your system if they go wrong, and in extreme cases have the chance of taking out your house along the way.

i actually had a peer in high school that had his entire system, including every single fan, die from the power supply, even the case was blackened beyond what'd be worth cleaning.

3 hours ago, GiantSlay007 said:

Hi guys,

I have a corsair cx430 together with:

i7 3770 @ 4.1GHz

2x8gb 1600 MHz ram

1xhdd 1x ssd

fan controller with display (nzxt sentry 3)

dvd writer

corsair h55 water cooler

and I used to have a gtx 650ti, so everything was just fine.

but recently, I got an old graphics card from a friend, an AMD radeon HD 7950 boost edition.

Its been running fine for about two months, but I'm worried the psu would die sooner or later.

any advice?

thanks in advance!

Replace the PSU - CX are crap, get a SeaSonic M12II EVO 520W

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It would take an extremely heavy oc to overdraw a cx430 with the OP's system. 

I believe he's not using the 650 anymore and is instead using 7950

9 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I believe he's not using the 650 anymore and is instead using 7950

Ah, I forgot about that earlier. The cx430 would still be fine with a good oc on the graphics card if the cpu is only going to 4.1ghz.

7 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

If he literally already has it there isn't much reason to replace it. It's fine for the load it'll be under. If he was looking to buy a new one, I'd agree. But as it is, the cx430 is fine for this application. 

14 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

If he literally already has it there isn't much reason to replace it. It's fine for the load it'll be under. If he was looking to buy a new one, I'd agree. But as it is, the cx430 is fine for this application. 

He can choose who to listen to but a new system costs more than a new PSU. A new house also costs more.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

He can choose who to listen to but a new system costs more than a new PSU. A new house also costs more.

A 650ti uses like no power though.

OP will be fine with the 650ti, would upgrade the PSU next time you get a new CPU/GPU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

A 650ti uses like no power though.

OP will be fine with the 650ti, would upgrade the PSU next time you get a new CPU/GPU.

OP is using a 7950 Boost tho

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

OP is using a 7950 Boost tho

Hmm, might replace it then. That's an R9 280, right?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Hmm, might replace it then. That's an R9 280, right?

R9 280 with an OC yes

12 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

And cx430's rarely kill systems, despite your perpetual circle-jerking. You seem to think they are diablotek PSU's.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

And cx430's rarely kill systems, despite your perpetual circle-jerking.

He is using a 7950 Boost (200W) and a system which needs around 100W itself - 300W/400W on the +12V rail in a hot environement.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

He is using a 7950 Boost (200W) and a system which needs around 100W itself - 300W/400W on the +12V rail in a hot environement.

The 7950 boost pulled roughly 160w peak at it's stock, 180w with a further good OC on it. That PSU is still absolutely fine with a moderate OC on the graphics card.