Whats the difference between a laptop and desktop motherboard?

Me and a friend are building a custom laptop and want to know what motherboard to buy.

The laptop shell, motherboard, keyboard, and track pad are often custom designed for a series

Desktop mobos are standard sizes, so you can interchange any two that are the same form factor.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

form factor doesnt matter

its the processor's socket and chipset that matters

if you're running intel mobile chips, you're most probably going to need a BGA socket, not the standard desktop LGA socket

chipset can differ from the processor you pick too, just check intel's ark or AMD's info on the interweb (if you can find any)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

basically everything, formfactor, cpu support, connectivity (often some proprietary ports). So I don't see how you want to build a laptop...

33 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Me and a friend are building a custom laptop and want to know what motherboard to buy.

Alienware motherboard. 

1 hour ago, HPWebcamAble said:

The laptop shell, motherboard, keyboard, and track pad are often custom designed for a series

Desktop mobos are standard sizes, so you can interchange any two that are the same form factor.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

form factor doesnt matter

its the processor's socket and chipset that matters

if you're running intel mobile chips, you're most probably going to need a BGA socket, not the standard desktop LGA socket

chipset can differ from the processor you pick too, just check intel's ark or AMD's info on the interweb (if you can find any)

57 minutes ago, DarkRuskov said:

basically everything, formfactor, cpu support, connectivity (often some proprietary ports). So I don't see how you want to build a laptop...

Ok i get it. You guys are saying its impossible.were doing it as a fun project. Everyone said i couldnt make a quality computer for $100 and i still built it. Okay. How do i get a power supply and battery that are small enough to fit in a laptop?

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

Ok i get it. You guys are saying its impossible.were doing it as a fun project. Everyone said i couldnt make a quality computer for $100 and i still built it. Okay. How do i get a power supply and battery that are small enough to fit in a laptop?

im not saying its impossible

in fact, im hoping you do it and make a build log

so i can get to see it without spending a single cent (i've always wanted to do it)

as for power

a PicoPSU should help

Spoiler

12V_160W_picoPSU-160-XT_Detail_large.jpg

you can use SLA 12V battery too, assuming the current output is sufficient to last

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

im not saying its impossible

in fact, im hoping you do it and make a build log

so i can get to see it without spending a single cent (i've always wanted to do it)

as for power

a PicoPSU should help

Reveal hidden contents

12V_160W_picoPSU-160-XT_Detail_large.jpg

you can use SLA 12V battery too, assuming the current output is sufficient to last

This work? https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/130787265722 

how would i connect this to a battery? 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yeap something like that

but make sure you have power for your drives too

and have the right cpu pin, some have 4 pin some have 8

I have no idea what motherboard to buy. 

I have no idea what motherboard to buy. 

well i cant really help you much about that

since you probably have to have a good base idea before starting to decide on what parts to buy

but i guess an mATX or mITX board should fit your needs

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well i cant really help you much about that

since you probably have to have a good base idea before starting to decide on what parts to buy

but i guess an mATX or mITX board should fit your needs

if you want to know when the build log comes out, subscribe to my youtube channel. i will probably post it there. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-9sVwytBLEbbF2R-I5GvPA

if you want to know when the build log comes out, subscribe to my youtube channel. i will probably post it there. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-9sVwytBLEbbF2R-I5GvPA

lol its fine :P

if fate allows me then ill see the build log

though i bet there are quite a few out there if i wanna google it, just cbf to do it

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's very difficult (unless you build a portable desktop, which is still not the easiest, but then you won't have any battery life), it's just that for such a project you should be more prepared/informed imo.