GTX 980 ti RMA

Can I RMA a gtx 980 ti with an led issue I have had the card since they first came out and I have overclocked and switched the thermal paste on it. Can I still RMA it?

If it's still under warranty, then you should be able to get an RMA. Ultimately, it depends on the manufacturer. If there's no real evidence you tampered with it, you should be fine. Overclocking does void the warranty, but they cannot tell that you did it unless there's some sort of damage that would've been caused by overclocking strictly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Can I RMA a gtx 980 ti with an led issue I have had the card since they first came out and I have overclocked and switched the thermal paste on it. Can I still RMA it?

Did you break any stickers? I dont think OCing voids warranty. You could always ask the company that sells your card (gigabyte, MSI, etc)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

yeah you can RMA it as long as it looks like you havent tampered with it and you dont tell them that you overclocked it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Don't you usually break stickers when you pull the cooler off to change the thermal paste? Returning a working gpu because a LED light is broken is nuts, especially one as expensive as a 980 Ti. You gonna trust UPS or FedEx to not smash your card to pieces?

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Don't you usually break stickers when you pull the cooler off to change the thermal paste? Returning a working gpu because a LED light is broken is nuts, especially one as expensive as a 980 Ti. You gonna trust UPS or FedEx to not smash your card to pieces?

uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh I trusted them getting it to me so when you think about it there is no difference and if they do break it then I can send it back in to get it replaced completely.

6 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh I trusted them getting it to me so when you think about it there is no difference and if they do break it then I can send it back in to get it replaced completely.

Doesn't work like that, you are responsible of the shipping, unless you purchase an adequate insurance. If your card gets damaged during return the manufacturer could care less. 

10 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

A broken LED light is a defect. The product is technically not in a completely working state if they're having problems with the LED. When I removed my 660 Ti's cooler, I didn't remove any stickers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

12 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

Doesn't work like that, you are responsible of the shipping, unless you purchase an adequate insurance. If your card gets damaged during return the manufacturer could care less. 

That's why I get actual insurance and proper tracking with ups it's only 10$ extra up here

1 hour ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

UPS is a bitch to work with when they damage something you're shipping. You're talking like a one month investigation where they will be holding your shit. And then even worse some AIBs will ship you broken video cards in the RMA and hope for the best. I read about it happening all the time on forums like this one.

1 hour ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

That's why I get actual insurance and proper tracking with ups it's only 10$ extra up here

Buying insurance doesn't make it any quicker when they break something. Especially when your package will be insured for $700.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

A broken LED light is a defect. The product is technically not in a completely working state if they're having problems with the LED. When I removed my 660 Ti's cooler, I didn't remove any stickers.

I'd hate to have my card thrown in the RMA carousel and maybe I get back something with a serious problem instead. If it's an Asus or Gigabyte card I'd never chance it over a LED light. If it's EVGA then I wouldn't be too worried.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'd hate to have my card thrown in the RMA carousel and maybe I get back something with a serious problem instead. If it's an Asus or Gigabyte card I'd never chance it over a LED light. If it's EVGA then I wouldn't be too worried.

Nvm I fixed it I guess it was lose or something I literally just undid the plug and plugged it back in