AMD officially classifies Polaris 10 as mainstream desktop GPU and high-end notebook GPU

zMeul

source: http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2159398

via: http://videocardz.com/59248/amd-officially-confirms-polaris-10-and-polaris-11-market-positioning

AMD let slip something really interesting during their Q1 2016 earnings call:

AMD demonstrated its "Polaris" 10 and 11 next-generation GPUs, with Polaris 11 targeting the notebook market and "Polaris" 10 aimed at the mainstream desktop and high-end gaming notebook segment. "Polaris" architecture-based GPUs are expected to deliver a 2x performance per watt improvement over current generation products and are designed for intensive workloads including 4K video playback and virtual reality (VR).

what mainstream means?! well .. you're not going to like it - it's about the performance level of a R9 260X or a R7 360X

I've called it! the information leaked about Polaris 10 was not encouraging at all - AMD is out of their minds if the spearhead of their new generation GPUs are low end and mid range brackets

and the performance bracket for Polaris 11 looks even worse, as it targets specifically the notebook market - meaning it's at the level of R7 240

AMD-Radeon-300-Mainstream-900x499.jpg

AMD-M300-Mainstream-900x500.jpg

If they have nothing else in the pipeline, and it is all true, than AMD is doing the same mistake they have done with the AMD Athlon 64 AM2 Socket, where they decided to no longer be the competitor of Intel high-end chips (they were with Socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 chips).

But I think they will have a high-end chip soon after... maybe they are waiting for HBM2 to be more affordable. Heck, Nvidia's Pascal won't have HBM2... maybe the Titan that will be released later on, and that would be probably be sold at 1000$.

Seing as a 970 is considered mainstream, it still might be the 490/490X

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I expect polaris 11 to replace the 370 and maybe 360, and polaris 10 to replace 390/390X, their GCN1.0 and GCN1.1 products.

Will they at least rebrand Fiji and Grenada then?  Price cut on those would be OK (390 at 380 prices, Fury at 390 prices, etx) 

And oh btw: Nvidia launched Maxwell in the exact same way so chill. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

A classic zmuel-amd post.

Is mainstream going to be the same going from q2 2016 with 14nm finfet than it was back in 2014 with 28nm?

What if this is about lifting the mainstream performance? Oh noes.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

And oh btw: Nvidia launched Maxwell in the exact same way so chill. 

no they didn't

nVidia launched the 9xx series with GTX970 and GTX980 - they are absolutely not in the same performance bracket with R9 260X and R7 360X

Polaris 10 is mid 2016, Vega are the high-end GPUs awaiting at the end of 2016 (Oct or Nov) / on 2017. We are not certain if they are using the centre of these squares or the left-side edge.

Roadmap2.jpg

11:07 of this video will explain the oddity of this graph:

But historically...The AMD then-flagship Hawaii GPUs came out near the end of the year too (October 2013)

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no they didn't

nVidia launched the 9xx series with GTX970 and GTX980 - they are absolutely not in the same performance bracket with R9 260X and R7 360X

You have the memory capacity of a goldfish.

First generation of maxwell was lowend. 

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Nothing new here. Polaris 11 and 10 are low and mid end chips. Vega is the high end HBM2 based chip, that will launch at the end of the year/start of 17, along with big Pascal, which is also HBM2 based.

What that means is that only low and mid end cards will launch this summer from AMD and NVidia. This still isn't anything new, and AMD is not doing anything NVidia isn't also.

Yeah another FUD post by @zmeul.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Wrong: Maxwell was launched since the 750. 

I'm talking about the V2 series, the GTX9xx

nVidia learned from their mistakes, AMD is still doing them; moreover, the Pascal GPUs rumored to launch are GTX970 and GTX980 replacements - that's what I'm talking about

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

He said maxwell, you dragged it to something complete else.

A round of applause for zmuels debating skills!

Btw, have you considered running for US president. Your way of debating certainly is in that direction.

EDIT: 

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

nVidia learned from their mistakes, AMD is still doing them; moreover, the Pascal GPUs rumored to launch are GTX970 and GTX980 replacements - that's what I'm talking about

Did they? What do we really officially know about consumer pascal yet?

Nothing, it is all smokescreen so far. We don't even have official statement regarding when they are going to be launched do we?

Just now, zMeul said:

I wasn't. Polaris 10 will follow this model of budget release first. Amd might not follow up with the high-end chips right away but since we're speculating anyway they potentially could. No reason to bitch about it since Nvidia does the same. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

If true, nVidia is going to completely dominate. Would make buying anything AMD completely pointless.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

If true, nVidia is going to completely dominate. Would make buying anything AMD completely pointless.

You assume NVidia will launch anything higher end than Polaris cards. Obviously Polaris 10 and 11 won't top out at 260 level. Don't buy into @zmeul's fud.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Help me GTX 1080, you're my only hope

obe-wan-hologram.jpg

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

If true, what?

If they release mainstream first? They will do fine, mainstream are tenfoldthe volume of enthusiast.

The performance that zmuel think it will hit? Most likely wrong, due to reasons stated in: 

Do not panic, we may still have high-end GPU this year.

If we look at the first square of this graph, it says "28nm GPUs", this is referring to the Tonga GPU (R9 285) that AMD released back on September 2014. If we look at the square that says "Vega HBM2" it is positioned similarly to the first square, so we may get Vega at September or October just like the Hawaii (R9 290/X) and Tonga (R9 285), and also Nvidia's GTX 970 and GTX 980 around September 2014 too.

amdmap.png

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

This is hilarious.

Your news post states that Polaris 10 will be "Mainstream Desktop and Highend notebook"

If you look at NVIDIA's mobile products:

High end notebook: GM204

What is GM204? GTX 970 and 980...

You could call those chips mainstream, since 950/960 are low end, and 980 Ti/Titan X are high end.

Does everyone seem to forget that NVIDIA's Maxwell V2 (GTX 900 series) only has 3 base chips for their desktop segment? GM200, GM204, GM206?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_900_series#GeForce_900_.289xx.29_series

As for GTX 900 series mobile? They fill out the low end with rebrands and refreshes of old chips from previous generations.

AMD is looking at doing the exact same thing:

Polaris 11 for notebook and low end desktop

Polaris 10 for high end notebook and mainstream desktop

Vega (Speculation) for high end desktop

I'm confused as to your negative stance towards this @zMeul.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm confused as to your negative stance towards this @zMeul.

He obviously has an agenda against AMD. Something about how "AMD once upon a time, fooled his stupid ass", and now he is on a constant witchhunt against them.
People who don't stand neutral on the news, should not be reporting and making conclussion on said report imo.

Zlatan from anandtech says the following (take with grain of salt, ofc): http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=38180442&postcount=46

There are some situation where Polaris is incredibly fast. Faster than anything in the market. The secret is probably that special culling mechanism in the hardware, which helps the GPU to effectively cull those false positive primitives that aren't visible in the screen. Today's hardwares can't do this.
Single wavefront perfomance is also incredibly good. 10-100 times faster than anything in the market. This is good for VR.

Polaris was never intended to be enthusiast chip

It's all about Vega

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I don't care if you call low-end, mainstream or just X, as long as they will offer VR level performance for 200-250 $ (dreaming)

R7 360x? Typical zmuel garbage. Polaris 10 has already been demoed running the new Hitman at 1440p, max settings and no drop below 60 fps. That's Fury/Fury X performance. The way your brain works though, I can see how you would never take notice of anything that is remotely good news for AMD.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit