Do I need to Play witcher 1 & 2 to understand witcher 3?

IshanSethi
Go to solution Solved by EscalatorBoy,

Would you watch Return of the Jedi without seeing A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?

People are right, The Witcher 1 is an awful game. What I did was watch a Let's Play of 1, then played 2. After 2, I read over the basic plot elements of the books, then played 3. To get a full appreciation for the characters and the world, going through the backstory is the way to go.

That, and Witcher 2 is a stellar game in and of itself.

Do I need to Play witcher 1 & 2 to understand witcher 3? Do you recommend i get witcher 1 and 2... I enjoy games for the story and I want to know around how much time witcher 1 and 2 takes to beat.

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

Just now, Aytex said:

No, i straight up played 3 without past story

Did you like it?

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

Just now, Aytex said:

Yea it was great

K sweet

Nope.  But reading on Wiki the summaries will help a lot in appreciating the minor and major details of W3.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

honestly if you decide to play 1 and 2, dont play 1. its a terrible game, just ready a summary or something, 2 is ok but 3 plays the best. 

I quite like 1 and 2, but i recognise that if you play them now, they are rough as and especially 1 plays wildly differently to 2 and 3.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Couldn't bring myself to play 1 either. I played 2 for a little while but I just hated how constraining it is: too much like a JRPG go to corridor, kill mobs, go back from corridor to town, move to next town. BS.

If you want lots of back story that actually does not spoils Witcher 3 (any of the 3 actually) I much more recommend you start on the witcher books: I've so far read the first 3 and I'm working my way through the 4th already.

-------

Current Rig

-------

To enjoy it, no. To fully understand it, yes. Or you read the Books. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Would you watch Return of the Jedi without seeing A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?

People are right, The Witcher 1 is an awful game. What I did was watch a Let's Play of 1, then played 2. After 2, I read over the basic plot elements of the books, then played 3. To get a full appreciation for the characters and the world, going through the backstory is the way to go.

That, and Witcher 2 is a stellar game in and of itself.

I too played Witcher 3 without playing 1 or 2. TW3 explains enough, in my opinion, that once I got interested I could fill in any blanks by reading the in-game Glossary and a few wiki articles.

The weird thing about the Witcher series is that each game is completely different from the next. Just enjoying TW3 doesn't necessarily mean you'll enjoy 1 or 2. I own all three, and despite trying numerous times I still have to work really hard to enjoy them and always end up giving up.

I played W3 first and had no problem understanding it. However, I would say some of the books would help far more than the previous games. You can always go back to them later if you want.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

On 22.4.2016 at 6:04 PM, EscalatorBoy said:

People are right, The Witcher 1 is an awful game.

People are wrong.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO