Things you did in you Non-Techie times

When I was in elementary school (maybe 4th or 5th grade) I setup an alarm script on my first computer I ever had for myself (Window 3.1 with Workgroups) and didn't bother testing it before going to bed. The whole house woke up to this blaring siren at 3AM because screw time zones and volume controls.

-KuJoe

35 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

When I was in elementary school (maybe 4th or 5th grade) I setup an alarm script on my first computer I ever had for myself (Window 3.1 with Workgroups) and didn't bother testing it before going to bed. The whole house woke up to this blaring siren at 3AM because screw time zones and volume controls.

That is actually quite impressive

collected things
rode ATVs
hung out with friends like a normal kid should
actually read some books
got dirty
got lost

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

Installed a launcher on my xperia x10i and tried telling everybody on my school i installed windows phone on it.

They all believed me too!

Anyway, now that i know how android actually works, i realise how stupid that was...

I almost completely bricked two laptops with windows 7 installed on them through general misuse and poor web safety. Only recently managed to revive them by upgrading them to windows 10 on "keep nothing" mode to just wipe all the shit off them. Worked pretty well, I mean neither of them are "good" as such, but for typing and web browsing they serve a purpose (they have bigger though not as nice screens as my ipad and for typing they're about 40,000X better than a touchscreen keyboard)

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

10 hours ago, potatoproduction said:

So you never did a stupid tech related act ??

unless Linus gave birth to you i don't see how thats possible

My mom used to do computer repair when I was around 5 or 6, and liked to teach me new things wherever she could once she noticed my interest in them.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

...When I was 10 I thought a computer was the same as a engine ... like a VQ35, ...just thought the exhaust fan on my first computer was just the exhaust pipe. Now that I look back on that, if that was true... I'd be dead o.O

I've always been a techie but I only really learned anything about hardware in the past 3/4 years. I used to think pc specs didn't matter and that intel and amd could fit in the same socket. When I was about 7 I started learning how to make stuff in flash, thought everything was made in flash and got confused why my flash files didn't run when I renamed the to exes.

Around 6 or 7 years ago, I found a game at some book store called "Settlers." It was really cheap, so my parents went ahead and bought it for me. When I tried to run it, it gave me (on a computer that was really old by that time) an error, and when I told my sister about it, she went to tell my dad, who said I needed a new video card. Now, I had no idea what that meant, and I thought it was some specialized thing that certain games needed or something, but was otherwise useless. If only I knew...

Also, during that time, I was quite prone to accumulating viruses. My dad had to wipe my hard drive once, actually. I really messed it up. Though, that was a valuable learning experience for me. I don't think I've ever had a problem with viruses since then. At least, nothing I couldn't handle fairly easily.

I forgot to mention that up until a while ago, I still owned Settlers. I tried installing it on my desktop, but it still didn't work...I think that computer was too new, ironically enough. I'll probably never be able to play it...

Edited by Shakaza
Appending a funny bit to my story

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

On 4/22/2016 at 8:53 PM, potatoproduction said:

So you never did a stupid tech related act ??

unless Linus gave birth to you i don't see how thats possible

If Linus gave birth to you (or his wife because it would be pretty horrifying if he did it himself. How would that even work? Out the rear? From the thigh like Dionysus?) I think you have a much higher chance of doing stupid tech-related things. 

"Oh, hey, let's zip-tie a cooler on the $5000 CPU this is a good idea!" 

"Let's just cut off half of a $1000 video card's expansion slot covers with a dremel"

"GLITTER ON THE GPU! GLITTER ON THE RAM! GLITTER ON THE EVERYTHING!"

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

"anything with GTX in it is a monster graphics card!"

but really, i had a life

i moved schools 3 times,

school 1: talked A LOT

got popular

moved

school 2: same as school 1

school 3: i said fuck it, i give up

now im dedicating my time making a post to strangers online and doing computer stufd

ive been a techy since like 5. only thing stupid thing i remeber was that i wasnt able to run a game of of a shitty prebuilt pc and i told my parents they needed to upgrade to 32 gb ram in order for the game to work :| 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

So there I was telling my ignorant friends that the cable they just showed me and asked what it was, is a HDMI cable and they were like "Where the f**k did you learn this stuff from?", basically earning me my bragging rights, but as soon as I was going out of their room entered another of their friend and he was like "Hey what are you doing with this Ethernet cable?"

I sneaked out of the room and went to my room to google what a Ethernet cable looked like....Guess what....Never showed them my face for next 2 months of vacation  

I was a decent level of techie overall most of my life in one way or another. The only 'dumb' thing I can think of was back then I thought anything with Nvidia in the name was immediately top tier gaming hardware xD

I think I also use to think AMD was superior to Intel in ever way no matter what just from listening to more techie family (little did I know they were just fanboys). Now I have seen the light!

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I'm guessing you were hoping for juicy stores of life-long techies being idiots? Well, I've been using PCs since I was 3 or so, and first got inside of one when I was about 7. This is not my first PC but...

IMAG0001.JPG

My late guinea pig computer. The "After" picture was taken a few months before I fried the CPU, Motherboard, Hard Drive, and (second) Power Supply, while trying to hotswap IDE hard drives. I pulled whatever still worked, and recycled the rest. I pretty much maxed the thing out entirely throughout the 10 years or so my family had it. Before finding Linus's videos, this was basically my Lego-bin that taught me everything I needed to know about building my gaming rig. The poor thing actually lived another 3 years after I started work on my gaming rig. 

Aside from that, when I was about 7 or so, I noticed that SNES and N64 games use the same cartridge socket, and thought to myself "Sneaky Nintendo, I'll bet the N64 is backward compatible and they didn't want anyone to know about it." So, I took an SNES game I had (which already lost it's shell, it was just an exposed PCB) and plugged it into the N64 to see what would happen. 

R.I.P. Nintendo 64 and Zelda ALTTP

Thread moved to Off Topic.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Punched my pc lol.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

On 4/21/2016 at 5:57 AM, Arty said:

I was a techie since day 1.

Been with computers, since i was 5, (probably younger i can't remember lma0)

Me too

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

Completely obliterating the family PC with songs downloaded from Limewire. Oh the good old days of a hard drive being 95% full of trojans.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I bought a MacBook Pro to game on.

I then wanted a good gaming mouse, so naturally I bought the Apple Magic Mouse.

Yes, I did used to be an iSheep. Yes, I understand the error of my ways. No, I do not currently own any Apple products. May GabeN and Linus have mercy on my soul, I am but a lowly sinner :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I slept in my crib, played with colourfull things, cried in a stroller and liked drawing with crayons.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Drank milk from a bottle and watched Thomas the tank engine on VHS?

Ive been a techie since around age 5 when I got an Atari, and later a Mega Drive. Then it was nothing but PC gaming magazines, Sonic comics and then learning to self build PCs as soon as I discovered the internet in my school library.

Linus is my fetish.