Things you did in you Non-Techie times

Since none of us came out of the womb a techie (except for Linus of course) , I was wondring what stupid things you guys did/said before Linus showed you the light of the techie world .

When I was younger one of my cousin asked me what specs of a laptop is good and I told him that for the laptop to be any good the cpu must say Intel and the numbers after the word intel were meaningless I also said the graphics card must say AMD or Nvidia and the numbers and letters after those words were also meaningless and for the ram i told him you don't need to worry about the amount since you can always download more. I remember also telling him to get the smallest capacity hard drive since it would make the computer run faster and so he spent his savings on a really horrible laptop(he still hates me for this).

I was a techie since day 1.

Been with computers, since i was 5, (probably younger i can't remember lma0)

Sim-locked an old Nokia and blocked a SIM card by constantly trying random PIN codes and PUK codes.

I had no idea what I was doing back then, or that turning on PIN lock will require you to enter your PIN codes and PUK codes.

Also ruined another Nokia flip phone by switching it to offline mode. This was one of those advanced flip phones (very thick, flips open from its side like a clam-shell) with a keyboard and a secondary screen (almost like a laptop) that runs when opened up. Unfortunately, you can only turn off offline mode using the clam-shell mode, and during that time, the clam-shell screen was broken.

I also had a notorious reputation in my family to screw around with any and every "settings" I found in literally anything, from phones to games to motherboard jumpers.

Those were the days. They call me "settings man". xD

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Before I was a techie I played some games like:

-Dora the Explorer

-Winnie the Pooh

-Pinball 3D

I also had some interactive DVD's for learning the ABC, but all these games are long lost. Aww it makes me wanna play them again at some point.

And let's not forget McDonald's games. I have a pen/game hybrid. Looks very neat.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

got windows 8

fucked that up

got windows 8.1

fucked that up

got windows 10

fucked that up

got Ubuntu 15.10

bricked or something incredibly bad my motherboard

fucked that up

managed to save my mobo

got Ubuntu 14.10

using it now

almost fucked that up

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

I was a pro quad rider and super athletic with any sport still is! 

9 minutes ago, LynxThe1st said:

got windows 8

fucked that up

got windows 8.1

fucked that up

got windows 10

fucked that up

got Ubuntu 15.10

bricked or something incredibly bad my motherboard

fucked that up

managed to save my mobo

got Ubuntu 14.10

using it now

almost fucked that up

I remember customizing Windows XP to the point I almost broke it.

On the other hand, Bricopack's Vista Inspirat and other customization software were amazing.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Oh... the good times. When i was a kid i did`t knew how to read my pc specs , so i called my best friend to help me. He said that i have pentium 3 and is ok , he had pentium 3/4 and another friend he had pentium 4 :)))

I still have that pc back in the garage and the processor is an AMD semprom :)))

2 minutes ago, aSPIRIn4 said:

Oh... the good times. When i was a kid i did`t knew how to read my pc specs , so i called my best friend to help me. He said that i have pentium 3 and is ok , he had pentium 3/4 and another friend he had pentium 4 :)))

I still have that pc back in the garage and the processor is an AMD semprom :)))

i have a pentium 2 computer behind me

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

"Complete 2 easy and free offers and get a free iPod! Really works!!!"

I never got my iPod :(

I've been a techie for quite some time. I remember back when I was like 5. I really liked computers and was fond of them.

Though I wasn't quite the informed techie... (Meaning I wasn't necessarily all about that PCMR stuff).

I generally thought that Apple had the best hardware and was generally an Apple iSheep.

I also used to really hate Samsung for some reason. I have a Galaxy S6 and generally like Samsung now.

Not sure I'd buy a Samsung phone again (I think if the Nexus 5X gets two more refreshes (this year and next year) I'll probably get an updated 5X next year as long as it had the same radio frequencies/bands that the current 5X has (so it can work on Verizon with my Nano Sim)

This Carrier

verizon_2015_logo_detail.png

+
This Phone

nexus-5x-pic.jpg

Yes please.

Well I guess the 5X right now has slightly worse specs than my S6, I hope by 2017 they make it better.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

18 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

I remember customizing Windows XP to the point I almost broke it.

On the other hand, Bricopack's Vista Inspirat and other customization software were amazing.

Oh YES I loved customizing XP. In hindsight I made it really slow and super ugly but I thought it was cool.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

I'm no Guru when it comes to computers and software, but I've literally never had a time in my life when I wasn't Tech Literate just due to my family, and my upbringing.

That being said, I did steal a copy of Windows ME from my dad's office back when it was the newest OS from Microsoft, and proceed to install it on my garbage PC I had built out of all the spare parts lying around. It worked, but then I Installed stuff like Banzai Buddy, Bearshare, and Napster. I pretty much trashed that computer when I got a virus that proceeded to duplicate every file on my PC until the hard drive was completely full... and it infected My dad's PC... and my Brother's PC until all three of them were crashing every 20 minutes, right around when the desktop would load.

Luckily my sisters stopped over from college, purposefully contracted the virus, and then worked some wizardry I still don't understand to this day, reverse engineering the virus to remove the duplicates it created and once it was done, remove itself completely from the computer... I may not be able to understand what they did, but working in the Infrastructure side of IT for the past 5 years, I can fully appreciate the complexity.

For a little background, My father worked in IT for 10 years before becoming an electrical engineer.

Oldest sister was a Developer for 8 years before she worked in Infrastructure for the last 15.

Second oldest sister has worked as a Developer for over 20 years.

I was introduced to computers before I can remember, I was taking apart and building desktops out of the spare parts lying around the house by the time I was 6.

and Gaming on my computer back when I had to sneak into my brother's room to play the only copy of Diablo allowed in the house.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Only this year I became a techie. I was looking into buying a new laptop and so I looked up a ton of information about computers. Then I started watching Linus, and my non-Techie days were over. Anyway, before I became a techie, I just cared about RGB lighting and computers that looked cool.

Lego and at school dig holes as deep as you can then make a shop and sell sticks for leaves or try and escape school (i was the only one to suceed)

1 hour ago, Arty said:

Same here bro. 

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

6 hours ago, Arty said:

4 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Same here bro. 

So you never did a stupid tech related act ??

unless Linus gave birth to you i don't see how thats possible

1 minute ago, potatoproduction said:

So you never did a stupid tech related act ??

unless Linus gave birth to you i don't see how thats possible

I have made mistakes........but that's called being human..............

Being stupid, no.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

(7th Grade)I bought the cheapest, shittiest smartphone Straight Talk had to offer when I got my first phone, not realizing how horrible the specs were. https://www.zteusa.com/zte-valet

(Freshman)I tried to tell a guy that my Droid Turbo had a faster processor than his PC

(4/5th Grade)I installed Ubuntu on my laptop using Wubi (some kind of installer from within Windows or something... not really sure how it worked to be honest) and then deleted it 5 minutes later because I was scared my dad would get mad at me about it.

(5th Grade)I wanted to record Minecraft footy so i installed this sketchy ass program that almost fried my laptop and most certainly gave it more bugs than an anthill

I've always kinda been a techie, as in being into tech, but never really understood a lot of things until I hit high school. So as a result I probably did a lot of dumb tech stuff.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01