Cherry new keyboard switch: MX SPEED (light gray color)

GoodBytes

The company that is famous for its mechanical keyboard switches, Cherry, announces today a new keyboard switch called: MX Speed. It features speed holes, and promises 30% increase in fps... :P ok seriously now...

cherry-mx-speed-banner-01.jpg

The company claims that these are the fastest switch that they are ever built. The company says in its announcement:

The brand-new MX SPEED is the fastest CHERRY switch on the market and is ideal for use in mechanical gaming keyboards, or keyboards for fast and frequent typists. The world's leading precision and unique Gold-Crosspoint contact technology rounds off the new switch. All this guarantees the highest performance of a CHERRY MX switch so far.

MX SPEED: the fastest CHERRY switch of all time
CHERRY expands its own portfolio of mechanical switches with the MX SPEED, a new top model which comes with a high performance. The name speaks for itself: thanks to an actuation point of 1.2 millimeters and the resulting, extremely short travel as well as a low activation force of only 45 cN, this high-precision linear switch is optimized for both low response times and high switching frequencies.

The company says that the switch uses a unique Gold-Crosspoint contact technology (whatever that means), and a design that produces a low bounce time of less than one millisecond typically, both contributes in the higher performance. The company claims that the switches are guaranteed to pass 50 million keystrokes before pressure required for them changes. The key switch is targeted at gamer and typist.

The switches are also designed for illuminated keyboard, allowing more light to pass through:

In combination with the leading precision and unique Gold-Crosspoint contact technology, as well as a low bounce time of less than one millisecond typically, CHERRY has developed the fastest MX switch of all time. The feature set guarantees a proven durability of over 50 million keystrokes with constant pressure quality.

Optimal choice for gamers, and fast and frequent typists
The short key travel makes the MX SPEED ideally suited for gamers among others. The variants with transparent RGB covers are ideally suited for keyboards that fit perfect to the needs of gamers when it comes to haptics, yet also fulfill all the visual requirements of such a model. A switch cover with an integrated lens and large scattering surface combined with an SMD LED ensures a high luminosity of all 16.7 million colors of the RGB spectrum.

Corsair has limited time exclusive on these switches. So if you want them now, you have to get a Corsair keyboard with them.

Corsair as exclusive launch partner
Corsair will be the exclusive launch partner of the world's first gaming keyboard equipped with the all-new high-performance MX SPEED switch. The exclusive cooperation runs for the first six months after the launch of the new CHERRY switches.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/221883/cherry-announces-the-mx-speed-mechanical-switch

Genuine question for those who like mechanical keyboard... do you care about such improvement? I am not a mechanical keyboard type of guy.. mind you I don't have access to one in any shape or form to even hit a key and feel, and I personally don't see the point in these.. but that is me... while I do play PC games, and tend to get a nice system every couple of years, and keep it updated, I am not a hard core gamer, where I play countless hours on end. Sadly, those days are long over for me.

I feel like Cherry now represents Corsair, even though Cherry is supposed to be a freelance switch making company. I wonder what typing on these would actually feel like...

Intel i7 3770 | ASUS P8Z77-V | 32GB Kingstorn HyperX Fury | ASUS Dual Radeon RX 480 (4GB)

512GB Samsung 840 Pro | 3TB WD Green | Corsair CX500 | Corsair Carbide 500R

wait Cherry MX are a company?! wtf?!

I thought they were a like of type of key not company, like the other day I thought bourbon biscuits were a company but the other way round

well anyways, yay! new keys :D

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Cherry is a company. They make keyboard switches. They also sell their own keyboards.

ohh

- Floor

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

1.2mm actuation? 

cant rest my hands on my keyboard without pressing anything now

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, LynxThe1st said:

wait Cherry MX are a company?! wtf?!

I thought they were a like of type of key not company, like the other day I thought bourbon biscuits were a company but the other way round

well anyways, yay! new keys :D

Cherry is a company and has been for a long time. I take it you are not very into keyboards. O well.

Just now, skatblast said:

Cherry is a company and has been for a long time. I take it you are not very into keyboards. O well.

Well key switches aren't the thing that get  me hyped since I'm only interested in 2 key switches :P Cherry MX red and blues

but I know a thing or thousand about keyboards ;)

- Floor

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

17 minutes ago, DededeKirby said:

I feel like Cherry now represents Corsair, even though Cherry is supposed to be a freelance switch making company. I wonder what typing on these would actually feel like...

eh i see with cooler master also corsair

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

1.2mm actuation? 

Isn't actuation distance completely unrelated to how hard it is to press down on the key? Unless you rest your hands on the keyboard while slightly pushing down on the keys.

Just now, I Hendrycks I said:

Isn't actuation distance completely unrelated to how hard it is to press down on the key? Unless you rest your hands on the keyboard while slightly pushing down on the keys.

yea i press my keys slightly when i lay my fingers on them lol

sometimes it actuates the key `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually the real company name is: ZF Electronics GmbH, as  ZF Friedrichshafen (catchy) bought CHERRY in 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_Electronics

Whoooow! Friedrichshafen! That's 20km from where I live and my grandpa works there.

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Is Cherry becoming another company that is marketing towards gamers? 

"Fastest Switches Yet" psht. What difference will .0005 ms make!?!?!? Come on now! This is getting silly >_>

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

1.2mm actuation? 

Yup. So these will be even harder to type on than reds.

Also the accompanying Corsair keyboard uses (imo) gross keycaps

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

7 minutes ago, dditty said:

Yup. So these will be even harder to type on than reds.

Also the accompanying Corsair keyboard uses (imo) gross keycaps

What are they doing? Why not stick to a normal font like k70???

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Do these have a shorter overall throw or just a shorter actuation point? It could be cool to see these evolve to have different weights as well as tactility like the traditional cherry mx switch.

After using the Romer-G's, their key travel slows down typing because it feels so odd.  Personally--I can't go back to a Cherry linear after using Gateron and ALPS linear, and I could never go back to a Cherry clicky switch after using ALPS and Topre.  Hopefully they're using updated molds and actually properly lubing their switches up, but the actuation and distance of these--these'll be un-fun to type on.  

3 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

After using the Romer-G's, their key travel slows down typing because it feels so odd.  Personally--I can't go back to a Cherry linear after using Gateron and ALPS linear, and I could never go back to a Cherry clicky switch after using ALPS and Topre.  Hopefully they're using updated molds and actually properly lubing their switches up, but the actuation and distance of these--these'll be un-fun to type on.  

Yeah, cherry is jjust not really stacking up to others. I have some purple zealios that feel great, but not in my board yet, still waiting on my plate.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

13 minutes ago, spwath said:

Yeah, cherry is jjust not really stacking up to others. I have some purple zealios that feel great, but not in my board yet, still waiting on my plate.

Yeah.  Cherry's are just--I mean when you look at it.  The MX Silent's are using an ALPs technology from the 90's.  Real-key has been around since the Microsoft sidewider in 2010.  The reudction in travel is a Romer-G, SS-Apex, and Kalih thing, but ALPS did that as well before too.  I am getting some Zealios soon and implanting them in to a Team Wolf Hot-swappable switch board.  Getting the 62g and 78g Zealios for tactility, but even then--there're still just no switches that come close to Topre in comfortably typing / gaming.  I need to custom order an HHKB with 55g and Novatouch sliders.

Debounce time of 1ms? Send me some oscilloscope shots of the bounce times then I'll believe this. 

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

3 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Cherry is a company. They make keyboard switches. They also sell their own keyboards.

I have seen a few Cherry boards and find them super attractive, but I have NO idea where to buy them.  Do they still make/sell them?

Wonder how they compare to Topre switches. I've read that Topre have objectively the best switches these days.