Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IPS VS TN, are the tradeoffs worth it?

So I'm looking to buy a new monitor, 24 inches, 1080p, but the procrastination comes with panel type.  I use Adobe programs often so I need accurate colors, but I also play a lot of aesthetically pleasing single-player games where an IPS would really shine, trouble is I also play CSGO and a TN is definitely the way to go.  What should I do?  I keep seeing pictures and reviews of IPS panels having really bad backlight bleed, which means that watching a movie or playing a grim visual novel during black scenes will ruin the experience...

2 minutes ago, Angelos Eirwen said:

SNIP

You can get 144hz IPS panels.....

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

You can get 144hz IPS panels.....

Refresh rate doesn't help with response time and backlight bleed

Get a VA panel Best of both world's benq has some nice VA panels.

Lets put it this way.

I can't go back to TN without wanting to use my IPS monitor. the backlight bleed depends on the model, but it's generally not too bad, and you only see it on black/dark scenes.

but If you're into 144 hz, then that's a pretty good choice too.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1 minute ago, Angelos Eirwen said:

Refresh rate doesn't help with response time and backlight bleed

Some IPS panels are sub 5ms response items, honestly the difference between 1 and 5ms is nothing when you consider a mouse click can have like 30ms of input lag, plus everything else in the chain 

Response times on most modern gaming monitors is irrelevant

backlight bleed depends on the monitor, also IPS glow is not the same as blacklight bleed, and it really only effects completely black images in general

So IPS is more colour accurate, better view angles, better colours in general, you can get 144hz

There is no reason to buy TN besides price

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You only see/notice the backlight bleed in a dark room and displaying a dark image.

It will never be in issue in CSGO. There are no dark scenes as if its some horror game.

At 1080p there are no 144Hz IPS panels, only 1440p and up.

Or you could just get two monitors. Trust me you will regret placing an IPS screen beside a TN.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

You only see/notice the backlight bleed in a dark room and displaying a dark image.

It will never be in issue in CSGO. There are no dark scenes as if its some horror game.

At 1080p there are no 144Hz IPS panels, only 1440p and up.

Or you could just get two monitors. Trust me you will regret placing an IPS screen beside a TN.

Like I said before, I'm gonna be looking at dark images in a dark room pretty often, I play lots of visual novels and they aren't all giddy and happy.  I also watch plenty of anime and there are dark scenes in those as well...I don't want to get a 1440p monitor because my GPU can't handle my games at that resolution, but if you could link me to one of those I would be very happy.

response time =/= input lag

PG278Q = 1ms response time TN panel 144Hz

PG279Q = 5ms response time IPS panel 165Hz

the 279 have lower input lag than 278 despite having slower response time

the only down side to response time should be motion blur, if im not mistaken

as for backlight bleed for IPS, i bought the VX239H and didnt have any gripes with it regarding backlight bleed, so maybe im just lucky

Things I need help with:

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Maybe consider this

If you don't want to spend big bucks for a 144Hz monitor, consider Dell's Utrasharp series. Fantastic QA and they are factory calibrated.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Maybe consider this

If you don't want to spend big bucks for a 144Hz monitor, consider Dell's Utrasharp series. Fantastic QA and they are factory calibrated.

I was actually considering this one, but I can't tell if it's an IPS or not
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461167765&sr=8-1&keywords=144hz+ips+24+inch

Just now, Angelos Eirwen said:

No its a TN panel

There are cheaper alternatives to that

2 minutes ago, Angelos Eirwen said:

And that is an IPS panel?  You may have just sold me, Hun~

No, that one is TN.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, Angelos Eirwen said:

And that is an IPS panel?  You may have just sold me, Hun~

No. Like I said, there are no 1080p 144hz IPS monitors

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Damn it, now what am I gonna do?

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Is 1440P much harder to run compared to 1080p?  I mean I've been gaming at 1600x900 for a very long time and this will be quite the upgrade...

4 minutes ago, Angelos Eirwen said:

Is 1440P much harder to run compared to 1080p?  I mean I've been gaming at 1600x900 for a very long time and this will be quite the upgrade...

Thing is, do you need it to be 144hz? You're going to need something like a 980ti to put that refresh rate to use (unless you run simple games like mobas and CSGO)

1440p is 77.78% more pixels than 1080p, which means you get theoretical 56.25% of the framerate you get at 1080p (granted no framebuffer issues)

The cheapest such monitor now is $500

In contrast, you could get a 1080p ultrawide IPS for under $300

Both of those come with Freesync. No, there are no cheaper alternatives without Freesync.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Thing is, do you need it to be 144hz? You're going to need something like a 980ti to put that refresh rate to use (unless you run simple games like mobas and CSGO)

1440p is 77.78% more pixels than 1080p, which means you get theoretical 56.25% of the framerate you get at 1080p (granted no framebuffer issues)

The cheapest such monitor now is $500

In contrast, you could get a 1080p ultrawide IPS for under $300

Both of those come with Freesync. No, there are no cheaper alternatives without Freesync.

Hnnnnng this sucks, I only have a budge of 250-260

10 minutes ago, Angelos Eirwen said:

Hnnnnng this sucks, I only have a budge of 250-260

At that price point its ordinary 1080p AMVA/IPS, 1080p 144Hz TN, or this thing

Your call.

46 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

At that price point its ordinary 1080p AMVA/IPS, 1080p 144Hz TN, or this thing

Your call.

This, or a budget 1440p panel but you will struggle to run games if you dont have at least a 970 or higher (or equivelant in amd or older cards)