Android beats Apple in ditching the headphone port on smartphones

Source from Android Authority

There has been a lot of discussion about the rumor that Apple is doing away with the headphone port on the upcoming iPhone 7. While we in Android-land likely smirked and counted ourselves lucky, the first three smartphones with no headphone port have just been announced in China. And they run Android.

Source from Pocketnow

The age of 6GB RAM monster phones is already upon us, ladies and gentlemen, and oddly enough, one of China’s most rapidly rising mobile hardware makers also rushes to beat Apple to the no-headphone jack punch.

LeEco-Le-Max-2.jpgLeEco-USB-Type-C-headphones.jpg

Well, it seems that the "no headphone jack" movement is now underway. I'm personally against it because my current earphones and headphones won't work with it (unless the adapters are affordable), and having only one port would mean I won't be able to charge my device while listening to music (unless it comes with another one).

Question is, how long will it take for the headphone jack to become totally obsolete?

Le-Eco-new-phones.jpg

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Just now, biggiebody said:

I know a lot of companies like to follow Apple after they do something, but they don't have to follow everything.....

Why do you think they were copying apple?

Is it wrong to catch up with latest technology?

at least its a standard shaped jack and not proprietary garbage. (that is, if they didnt do proprietary crap to type c to do this)

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Why do you think they were copying apple?

Is it wrong to catch up with latest technology?

Not everything Apple does is good or right or genius. Which, I think, is his point. Removing the 3.5mm jack, I think, is stupid. The phone is already thin enough. Aesthetically speaking, making a thinner phone doesn't really give you anything more, in my opinion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Not everything Apple does is good or right or genius. Which, I think, is his point. Removing the 3.5mm jack, I think, is stupid. The phone is already thin enough. Aesthetically speaking, making a thinner phone doesn't really give you anything more, in my opinion.

USB-C does give faster charging/speeds though...

I also agree thinner phones are quite shiet though

Why don't these assholes understand that at the end of the day, the speakers / drivers are still analog. Digital signal to the headphones doesn't do shit, unless the phone's dac is shit.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If I cannot break my phone over my knee either the phone is not thin enough of the screen is not big enough.

So now I am going to have to use a dual 3.5mm to 4 connector 3.5mm, then from that to USB C, and then undo it when I connect to my PC? Yaaaaaaay. What if I want to listen off of a flash drive? Do I then have to connect it to a splitter too? 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

What's the big deal, only three out of so many brands and makes. It's different when Apple does it, 'cuz....ya know, they're the only one. I don't think Samsung, Sony or the other big players would follow suit. Certainly not LG with the launch of its flagship V10 with separate Sabre DAC and amp for the audiophile in us.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

The title is a bit misleading since android has nothing to do with it. It should be leTV beats Apple.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

The title is a bit misleading since android has nothing to do with it. It should be leTV beats Apple.

Those devices are Android devices

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Just now, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Those devices are Android devices

Yeah, but Android as a OS has little to do with this step.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The industry as a whole is migrating to 1 port for all type of a thing, example, it wont be long until we will be able to power and output video signal via type c(probably few more revisions), possibly eliminating DP, HDMI etc. once we're able to do that we'll pretty much do everything else with it.  

15 minutes ago, Aytex said:

USB-C does give faster charging/speeds though

The probem is the battery. I'm going to avoid fast chargers like the pest and just stick to regular charging, since I want to get as much lifetime from my device as possible:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

See the diagram.

Found an insanely good deal for a VPS by Time4VPS (Lithuania). Warning: I don't have a lot of experience with them yet, if you had any bad experience, please PM me. /// Warning2 (Sorry, should have added this earlier): Very Low Disk IO

1 x 2.4GHz (E5 2630 v3), 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD cached Raid 6, 500GB Traffic => ~$17.5 (15.84€) + Tax for 2 years (Prebuild Servers)

why fix what isn't broken?

3.5mm still gives good audio, and super thin phones? why is super thin such a big deal.

i want a phone to have weight, to feel solid, to feel like it wont snap in half

companies should focus on better batteries rather than "oh, this phone is 0.0000001mm thinner than last years flagship phone"

dammit, they're focusing on the wrong things

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

2 minutes ago, steini1904 said:

The probem is the battery. I'm going to avoid fast chargers like the pest and just stick to regular charging, since I want to get as much lifetime from my device as possible:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers

See the diagram.

Eh my S6 has a fast charger and I usually use it. I do sometimes try to remember to turn off fast charging when I don't need it but that's a bit of a chore to turn on and off just so I don't forget to turn it back on.

Fast Charging is nice. Though it is harder on the battery.

The chart doesn't have LiPo batteries, I'm not sure if those are more resilient to fast charging but still...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

47 minutes ago, Aytex said:

USB-C does give faster charging/speeds though...

I also agree thinner phones are quite shiet though

But why limit to just one? You can have both USB-C and 3.5mm. You don't need to choose between them.

Then you have both faster charging AND wide compatibility with audio peripherals. Not to mention it means you can charge your device and listen to music at the same time without the need for any breakout cables.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

44 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

why fix what isn't broken?

3.5mm still gives good audio, and super thin phones? why is super thin such a big deal.

i want a phone to have weight, to feel solid, to feel like it wont snap in half

companies should focus on better batteries rather than "oh, this phone is 0.0000001mm thinner than last years flagship phone"

dammit, they're focusing on the wrong things

Thinner phones are just easier to drop, lol. I feel way more comfortable holding my thicker iPhone 5C than my 6S.

To be completely honest, while the lack of a 3.5mm is a bad thing (if for simply the fact that it means the device was designed in a looks & thinness > usability & battery way), in the age of bluetooth, it's not really THAT big of a problem...

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I think they're on to something.  We do need to get rid of the 3.5mm jack.  We need a quarter inch plug instead.  That way it's thicker and these idiots can fill more batteries inside.  The only plausible reason I can see them wanting to get rid of 3.5mm jacks, would be, aside from them -really- wanting a phone with the thickness of a dime, is for them to be able to claim that the age of the 3.5mm jack is over.  It is a plug from the 1870's, but I've not seen much of an alternative in lightning or USB-C so far, and this is one hell of a change they want to create--but if they start this, then the headphone makers will catch up and eventually the rest.

Still, they should just go to quarter-inch and claim more resilience.

I mean if it has an advantage why not ? we already dropped other standards and used a new one so why not do the same with the 3.5mm jack.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I support removing the headphone jack for a few reasons:

I've had my Iphone 6S for a while now, and it has one of the worst battery lives of an Iphone, ever, due to the 3D touch and better processor. This made it essentially mandatory for a heavy user such as myself to use a battery case, which increases the total battery capacity from 1715 mAh to 5665mAh. The only problem is that this case obstructs the 3.5 mm jack, requiring you to use a special adapter I really don't want to carry around everywhere. So I bought a $50 set of Bluetooth headphones, which last 5-6 hours on a single charge and deliver a full range, decent sound. They're lightweight, robust and rarely, if ever, have connection issues.

It's been a great user experience, and I totally understand the motivation that LeEco & Apple have behind their design choice not to include a headphone jack. My point is that if the Iphone 7 doesn't have a 3.5 mm jack, the average consumer is likely going to be perfectly content using whatever included wireless solution Apple provides, and power users such as myself are likely going to be using battery cases that obstruct the 3.5 mm jack anyways. 

Many people are missing the point here, as with the Macbook; yes, there's only one port. Yes, it would be terrible to try and use all your existing wired peripherals on a single port. But that's not what the Macbook and potentially the Iphone 7 are designed for - Apple intends you to use wireless keyboards, mice, headphones. You're supposed to use the cloud or wireless hard drives to fulfill the job of transferring files. Now you may personally prefer wired peripherals, and that's fine. It's just that consumer electronics are trending to become more wireless, and these design choices reflect that. I don't think it's as much a decision to make the phone thinner as it is a decision to remove an unnecessary, and in many ways, outdated port.

miss-the-point.png

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.