Millions of Firefox Users are vulnerable to attack

Millions of Firefox user might be vulnerable to a new kind of exploit. It uses a weakness in Mozillas Browser: lacking compartmentalisation of extensions. By using the capabilities and privileges of one or more of the vulnerable extensions, attacker could force a Browser to open a Website containing malicous content and eventually execute arbitrairy code on the victim's machine.

Of the top 10 most popular add-ons vetted by Mozilla officials and made available on the Mozilla website, only Adblock Plus was found to contain no flaws.

The Attack seem to be in the proof-of-concept stage, there are no reports of the vulnerability being exploited in the wild.

EDIT: For the attack to be properly executed, a victim would have to download a compromised add-on in the first place.

The Ball is now in Mozilla's park since only a proper vetting of extensions would lead to a short-term resolution of the problem.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04/noscript-and-other-popular-firefox-add-ons-open-millions-to-new-attack/

I hope Mozilla can get this sorted out soon.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is not good. I have always thought Firefox has been a bit less secure (although I do use it at home but not work).

And also, after doing tests with Firefox compared to Chrome, the way Firefox stores passwords is way less secure. Unless you set a "Master Password" or use something such as LastPass. This may have changed from 4 months ago, but what I found was severely concerning, the way that a general home user could easily be susceptible to near silent attacks.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

One thing you've omitted, OP is that the attack relies on a malicious add-on being installed.

What the vulnerability basically means is that it's easier for malicious add-ons to pass security vetting on the account that they can forgo including functionality that would have raised suspicion and relying on other add-ons for it.

Mozilla to vet addons to try to ensure that they are not vulnerable, and the restrictions on what code you are allowed to use is very strict to try and prevent issues like this. However, vetting software to find vulnerabilities is very difficult, so, while I'm surprised that there are issues with 9 of the top 10 addons, it's not surprising that some have issues.

Mozilla are currently working on compartmentalising addons, and will be enabling support for the new webextensions API, which mirrors Chrome's system, at the end of the year.

Mozilla can't afford to vet addons more thoroughly though - the review queues are long enough already - so this will now just rely on the addon developers fixing their addons.

HTTP/2 203

hmmm, i downloaded and installed that exact extension in firefox about a week and a half ago. i have been battling a SICK" computer for the last 4-5 days. coincidence or not, i think i will try to remove it.

12 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

I fear for those who use Tor, and therefore NoScript… :(

Wait, what's wrong with NoScript?  I use it heavily, am I at risk then?

[witty signature]

Hmm, I've been using Opera mainly, will use Vivaldi now more to, it just released as 1.0v :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It sounds like we're safe as long as we don't install any new addons until the weakness is sorted out. Not like suddenly my noscript will be compromised.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

NoScript released an update today. Not sure if it has to do with this or not.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

NoScript released an update today. Not sure if it has to do with this or not.

Based on my experience on how long addon reviews take, and based on the release notes for that version, I don't think so, and I would expect it to be at least a few days before it's fixed because, at least publicly, no details about what the vulnerability is, though they have given some details about how it's exploited, so it might take the developers some time to even identify the issue.

HTTP/2 203