Which motherboard for i5 6600K

I am doing a build based on a Intel i5 6600K and plan to do overclocking. There are so many motherboards out there that I have no idea which one will perform the best. I have a budget for the motherboard between 100 and 150 USD and looking at either a MSI or ASUS board. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Anything Z170 will work. You can get pretty good looking ones for about 100-130 USD. I use an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, and ive had no issues with it.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

3 minutes ago, Taylor Dettling said:

I am doing a build based on a Intel i5 6600K and plan to do overclocking. There are so many motherboards out there that I have no idea which one will perform the best. I have a budget for the motherboard between 100 and 150 USD and looking at either a MSI or ASUS board. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Asus Z170-A or MSI Z170a Gaming M5 are good.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Thanks for fast reply! Ok those both look like they have all the features I need..... I'll probably go with MSI.

How much overclock?

Are you an 100% enthusiast who wants to break 4,7 Ghz and above?

Or are you someone, who can be happy with 4,5 or maybe 4,6 Ghz?

If yes, those are the Boards i would R ecommend:

Asus: Z170 Pro Gaming

AsRock: Z170 extreme 4

MSI: Z170 Sli Plus 

Gigabyte: Z170X UD3

All Those have at least 10 CPU Phases, only PCIe Slots (not the old, dead PCI), 1-2x M.2 slots, USB Type C, and enough cooled CPU phases. The AsRock Extreme 4 also has a Diagnostic LED, and DTS Connect (if you want to use 5.1  Surround sound via spdif/Toslink), making all of them into a REALLY great bang for the buck.

If 100 Mhz more or less is important for you, maybe 1 or max 2 steps above. Like, Ranger, MSI Z170 Gaming m5, etc. But this isnt really neccessary.

Also: Some of them have CashBack actions in some countries. Look for them. Asus has the Third Z170 Cashback running here in Germany.

• 4 weeks later...

I plan on overclocking to at least 4.7 Ghz and I am building a custom water cooled system which should have the capacity to cool a 6600k at those frequencies. I ended going with the Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark I because of its backplate, thermal armor, and excellent cooling options. It was outside of my original budget but there happened to be a 20% sale on it at my local Fry's. It may not have been the best bang for the buck motherboard but I have tested overclocking it with a air cooler first and I reached 4.6 Ghz stable with comfortable temps and with my custom loop I should be able to reach 4.7 easily and maybe try for 4.8

On 4/3/2016 at 2:23 PM, Taylor Dettling said:

Within a $100–150 budget, there probably aren't a lot of boards that are massively better or worse for overclocking.

I personally own the Asus Z170-A and it seems to be a fine choice for overclocking, both from my experience and from several professional reviews I've read. I don't necessarily know if it's much better than other $150 motherboards, though.