got a weird public ip (on all computers)

Go to solution Solved by Arty,

you mean ipv6, vs ipv4.......

You have both as your ip.

the long one is the new standard which is slowly being switched too.

by slowly i mean over the past decade and probably  across the next decade or 2. 

I got a public ip like this: 2u567d:3fce:e70drtb9:22fdrt0e:dedrtdrt (edited some letters cos i don't want everyone to see my ip) and usually i have an ip like 192.565.233

it is on all my computers, is this normal?

you mean ipv6, vs ipv4.......

You have both as your ip.

the long one is the new standard which is slowly being switched too.

by slowly i mean over the past decade and probably  across the next decade or 2. 

Like already been mentioned, what you're seeing is your ipv6, it's a much more robust and safer protocol while also allowing for many many more IPs to exist at the same time. You probably have both ipv4 and ipv6 enabled, and it will take a while until everything moves completely to pure ipv6.

Edit: Actually, it isn't the same on all of your computers. If you look closer, the last digits differ on each device. Essentially, with ipv4, you have one single public IP and then your local devices are sitting behind a NAT router that assigns them local IPs. With ipv6, each and every device will have its own *public* IP on the internet. Kind of like a MAC address really.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

7 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

Like already been mentioned, what you're seeing is your ipv6, it's a much more robust and safer protocol while also allowing for many many more IPs to exist at the same time. You probably have both ipv4 and ipv6 enabled, and it will take a while until everything moves completely to pure ipv6.

Edit: Actually, it isn't the same on all of your computers. If you look closer, the last digits differ on each device. Essentially, with ipv4, you have one single public IP and then your local devices are sitting behind a NAT router that assigns them local IPs. With ipv6, each and every device will have its own *public* IP on the internet. Kind of like a MAC address really.

so are these IP's static, and do not change over time like a dynamic ip? 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Just now, jameshumphries47 said:

That doesn't have to do with the version of your IP. If your ISP (Internet Service Provider) allows for a static IP, both versions will remain static. Some charge for that, too. Otherwise if it is dynamic, it will change whenever you re-sync your connection or whenever they change it systematically. 

~ Specs bellow ~

CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

2 minutes ago, jameshumphries47 said:

they both include static and dynamic like ipv4. depends on how your isp handles it.

Just now, SaladFingers said:

That doesn't have to do with the version of your IP. If your ISP (Internet Service Provider) allows for a static IP, both versions will remain static. Some charge for that, too. Otherwise if it is dynamic, it will change whenever you re-sync your connection or whenever they change it systematically. 

Just now, Arty said:

they both include static and dynamic like ipv4. depends on how your isp handles it.

oh okay guys cheers for that, i think having a static IP for all devices would be much less of a headache for me haha, the ISP im on will not give out statics to a residential customer, which sucks for me! as i alot of port forwarding. obviously if everything was static, then safety would be an issue. and there would be unused devices having an IP. Which of course wont be a problem in the foreseeable future with IPv6 but it would become one eventually. So i guess im stuck with my Dynamic IP addresses!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

4 minutes ago, jameshumphries47 said:

oh okay guys cheers for that, i think having a static IP for all devices would be much less of a headache for me haha, the ISP im on will not give out statics to a residential customer, which sucks for me! as i alot of port forwarding. obviously if everything was static, then safety would be an issue. and there would be unused devices having an IP. Which of course wont be a problem in the foreseeable future with IPv6 but it would become one eventually. So i guess im stuck with my Dynamic IP addresses!

Actually, when port forwarding you do it locally - the NAT router is what will connect said local device with the internet. It's all done because it has to connect a single public IP with multiple local devices. Ipv6 makes this irrelevant as each device has its own public IP, thus alleviating the need to port forward. But for the time being, not everything can make use of Ipv6 so yeah... sit tight :P

Edit: There might be some cases of port forwarding with ipv6 actually, but I'm not familiar with such practices so I can't help you there.

~ Specs bellow ~

4 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

Actually, when port forwarding you do it locally - the NAT router is what will connect said local device with the internet. It's all done because it has to connect a single public IP with multiple local devices. Ipv6 makes this irrelevant as each device has its own public IP, thus alleviating the need to port forward. But for the time being, not everything can make use of Ipv6 so yeah... sit tight :P

Edit: There might be some cases of port forwarding with ipv6 actually, but I'm not familiar with such practices so I can't help you there.

oh right, i see! its such a pain of all my external ip's change every few days, i really need to ring up my ISP and get a static when i get a chance

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}